Favourite airline?

Thinkingallowed

1 hour ago, DumbDucker said:

EVA and ANA

ANA is great. They have bumped me up to 1st class once and business twice. I emailed them a thank you letter after the first bump and I think I must be on some kind of list of people who deserve it or just plain luck. But either way, I enjoy ANA and every aspect about the airline. 

On 9/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, thegrogmonster said:

Thai Airways for the reason of it being the only airline that flies direct from Brisbane.

Other than that I would go for the cheapest option.

Thai can now go and get fucked.

They have now cancelled a lot of flights from October this year. My city has gone from daily flights to now 4 a week. Both my return flights flights to Thailand in January and February have been cancelled. I have heard nothing about this from Thai Air or my booking agent. I also have a flight to Udon Thani that I now cannot connect with.

1 hour ago, thegrogmonster said:

Thai can now go and get fucked.

They have now cancelled a lot of flights from October this year. My city has gone from daily flights to now 4 a week. Both my return flights flights to Thailand in January and February have been cancelled. I have heard nothing about this from Thai Air or my booking agent. I also have a flight to Udon Thani that I now cannot connect with.

They done the same last year mate and I swerved it by a couple of days. Cancelled shed loads with little warning.

I've always thought Thai Airways is the poster child for the way Thais mismanage almost everything they try to run, whether it's a company or a country. Decisions are made, unmade, remade, and then unmade again. It's an exercise in indecision, confusion, and utter randomness.

As a friend of mine one wrote somewhere, "When you fly Thai Airways, always remember that your pilots got their jobs exactly like everyone else in Thailand got their jobs."

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OldAsiaHand said:

I've always thought Thai Airways is the poster child for the way Thais mismanage almost everything they try to run, whether it's a company or a country. Decisions are made, unmade, remade, and then unmade again. It's an exercise in indecision, confusion, and utter randomness.

As a friend of mine one wrote somewhere, "When you fly Thai Airways, always remember that your pilots got their jobs exactly like everyone else in Thailand got their jobs."

This is the bullshit excuse on their website:

Thai Airways International has made some adjustments of flight schedules for Australia and across the network due to aircraft rotation and maintenance.

Customers booked with a travel agent should contact the travel agent for assistance.  For customers booked direct, THAI wil contact you to update your travel arrangements.

We appreciate your patience as we work through these adjustments.

On 9/3/2018 at 12:45 PM, Thinkingallowed said:

So which is your favourite airline that flys you on the big white bird to and from Thailand?

What is it you like about the airline? Food, seats, IFE, baggage allowance, timings, price, etc?

I've asked this question and I'm not sure of the answer myself, will go off and have a hard think.

*note to self, must ask easier questions*

I quite like Emirates. Thai and Emirates. Hated BA and Quantas.

7 hours ago, south7eventh said:

I am glad so many posters are naming Emirates,  I have chosen it for the first time for my trip in November because they now fly from Stansted for the first leg  to the Middle East.  This is only eight miles from home as opposed to the 40 plus miles to Heathrow.

Best food and drink service by a mile. 

Thai more recently, used to be EVA but they had a phase of cancelling mid week flights if they weren’t full so that pissed me off. So if the price is too much different always Thai, plus their planes have been largely upgraded in the last 2-3 years.

15 hours ago, south7eventh said:

I am glad so many posters are naming Emirates,  I have chosen it for the first time for my trip in November because they now fly from Stansted for the first leg  to the Middle East.  This is only eight miles from home as opposed to the 40 plus miles to Heathrow.

If you're up front, Emirates are using their newest planes on this route with the new suites.

2 hours ago, Painter said:

I preferred Qatar food and service over Emirates.... and Qatar also have a "eat on demand" policy upstairs, whereas with Emirates (and everyone else) it's eat when we tell you.

Etihad have dine on demand too, as do Emirates but only in first.  Rumoured to be coming to Business Class soon.

I'm usually with Emirates and willing to pay a bit more and travel a bit further to the airport to stick with them for now.   I like the price of the Gulf Air flights in Business Class though, but the drawback for me is having to connect at Heathrow.

6 minutes ago, KWA said:

If you're up front, Emirates are using their newest planes on this route with the new suites.

Etihad have dine on demand too, as do Emirates but only in first.  Rumoured to be coming to Business Class soon.

I'm usually with Emirates and willing to pay a bit more and travel a bit further to the airport to stick with them for now.   I like the price of the Gulf Air flights in Business Class though, but the drawback for me is having to connect at Heathrow.

Let's hope that rumour is true!

On 9/18/2018 at 12:54 AM, Painter said:

I preferred Qatar food and service over Emirates.... and Qatar also have a "eat on demand" policy upstairs, whereas with Emirates (and everyone else) it's eat when we tell you.

I prefer Qatar all around. Just a better airline in nearly every respect, I think.

By the way, Bloomberg reported this morning that Emirates and Etihad are in merger talk because Etihad is doing too poorly to continue as an independent operation. The airlines first refused comment an then denied it. Of course.

• 5 weeks later...

Cathay is the best all round ime. Other airlines are as good or a bit better with their hard product but the service on Cathay is always exceptional, they have gone out of their way and way past what would be expected to help me out and assist me before.  They're also the only airline in Oneworld where I always get the personal hello/welcome from the CSD on every flight no matter what cabin i'm in, and that always feels nice.

Although I did fly on BA on my b'day last month and was upgraded form Biz to First, the CSD welcomed me and wished me happy b'day at the door as I stepped on board and he saw my bp , told me all the crew knew it was my b'day and they'd try to make it a good one. They still wouldn't let me take away an unopened bottle or two of the Grand Siècle though haha.

Edited by Shaksey

I understand that US airlines have a deservedly poor reputation, but I am fortunate to be a million mile flyer with UA and have not traveled in cattle class in the past 20 years. About 10 years ago UA introduced a direct flight from Denver to Narita which is IMO fantastic. They stopped flights into Bangkok so must catch a leg with ANA or Thai Airways. Although the service is great on ANA, I do not like their BC seats at all. Much prefer BC/1st class on Thai.

On 9/3/2018 at 2:52 PM, AJSP said:

I use either Thai or EVA, but mainly EVA for the last 4 years. I'll explain why.

• Living in Bristol, Heathrow is our best Airport to fly from. We could fly from Bristol to Amsterdam and then connect, but did it once with China Air and it was, to be honest, a friggin nightmare. 
  • Heathrow is 2 hours from home, so easy to get to.
  • I like the THAI and EVA Flight times, 9pm ish. This means I can get a half days work done, then leave at 4pm to get to Heathrow.
  • I don't samoke or like a break to stretch my legs, so direct is perfect.
  • I like to arrive in BKK around 3pm as connecting flight to Udon is c5.15

Eva or Thai for the same reasons, 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chokdeekap said:

Qatar used to be my go too airline , but since they doubled the price of business class they can go fook themselves... 

Yes the Q Suite rip off, lol. It's nice but when you're asleep for most of a flight as long as you can lay down properly it doesn't matter how fancy the cabin is.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:41 AM, Chokdeekap said:

Qatar used to be my go too airline , but since they doubled the price of business class they can go fook themselves... 

Oh, and the fact that Qatar don't honour and play in the spirit of the rules for lounge access for Oneworld Sapphire/Emerald members pisses me off a hell of a lot too.