Trouble using Bangkok Bank Overseas

Doug

I have an BKK account that was opened in Pattaya. It was assigned to my Thai cell number that I only use when I'm there and the cell doesn't work when I'm in the US.

My cell phone was reset and now the app doesn't work as BKK bank app is sending a text to confirm it's me trying to use my account. Has anyone found the ability for a US number to be used to receive those texts or some work around? I am guessing I can use my PC but I prefer using my cell and I would rather not have to wait until I'm back in Thailand using that sim to reconfirm that this phone is allowed to use the app.

Thank you!a01b91dec3b0cc76c0bd567a8f1623a5.jpg51ed30154d31dca6b19bd4c7f6f472ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Doug said:

I have an BKK account that was opened in Pattaya. It was assigned to my Thai cell number that I only use when I'm there and the cell doesn't work when I'm in the US.

Why doesn't your Thai SIM work in the US?

You just need to find the US carrier that partners with your Thai SIM provider (unless your cell is locked to a particular US carrier).

• Like 1

I have a Bangkok bank account here jn nz i get messages every time I log in 

But as I have just changed phones I can't set up the app , After ringing the bank was told I have to go to a branch to get it activated .When I did the same with my local bank it automatically sent me a activation code to my phone

On 11/12/2020 at 12:04 AM, fygjam said:

Why doesn't your Thai SIM work in the US?

You just need to find the US carrier that partners with your Thai SIM provider (unless your cell is locked to a particular US carrier).

Dont even need to do that. The Sim itself will automatically find its own roaming partner.

13 minutes ago, RR007 said:

Dont even need to do that. The Sim itself will automatically find its own roaming partner.

Things may have changed however years ago, when in Australia, my Thai AIS SIM would connect to either Telstra or Optus, two of Australia's telco networks. However Telstra would only permit phone calls whereas Optus would carry both calls and texts.

I use a different sim on my phone when in the US. I don't have my Thai sim set up for international use as I only pay for it when I'm in Thailand. I had this issue a few years ago when I changed phones but it seems to have become a problem again. Next time in Thailand maybe I will get an old Thai cell and set it up to use that sim to get messages on wifi when back in the US if that's an option.

Thanks

Ok, I went to Bangkok bank on my pc and it won't let me transfer unless I confirm a text message sent to my Thai number. My AIS number is prepaid. Is there a way to set my sim to work in the US for a day or two? I see one option is 900 baht for roaming but I'm just too cheap for that. I can transfer through PayPal to the iptv service but they charge a decent amount and I buy these services for many people so there are several transfers I do every month.

I've run into this problem twice in the last 5 years and I am looking for a more permanent solution some people may have. Like a Thai number or program that can forward through the internet. I'm surprised that they still only allow phone text confirmations and not email ones.

Any help is appreciated.

3 hours ago, Doug said:

Ok, I went to Bangkok bank on my pc and it won't let me transfer unless I confirm a text message sent to my Thai number. My AIS number is prepaid. Is there a way to set my sim to work in the US for a day or two? I see one option is 900 baht for roaming but I'm just too cheap for that. I can transfer through PayPal to the iptv service but they charge a decent amount and I buy these services for many people so there are several transfers I do every month.

I've run into this problem twice in the last 5 years and I am looking for a more permanent solution some people may have. Like a Thai number or program that can forward through the internet. I'm surprised that they still only allow phone text confirmations and not email ones.

Any help is appreciated.

If your Thai sim is with AIS put it temporarily in your phone then you can set ‘Wi-Fi calling’ in the phone settings and disable cellular signal. You can then receive texts on your Thai phone without roaming charges etc. That works on IPhones not sure about android. 

3 hours ago, Doug said:

Is there a way to set my sim to work in the US for a day or two?

Stick it in a phone and ask someone to send you a text message.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by KWA
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stick it in a phone and ask someone to send you a text message.  You may be pleasantly surprised.
I placed my sim in my phone in Japan once and it drained my prepaid account immediately without one text. I'm not sure what fees it charged but it went very very fast

On 11/20/2020 at 10:22 PM, Doug said:

I placed my sim in my phone in Japan once and it drained my prepaid account immediately without one text. I'm not sure what fees it charged but it went very very fast

Turn off mobile data before you insert the sim.

• Like 1