Jump to content

Return to Captain Jack's


Jambo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Great report Jambo. As my lady is from Kamphaeng Phet I've had a chance to see some of the beautiful scenery in that part of Thailand. Do you have map locations for the hot springs and Captain Jack's? Like to put it on our to do list next time I'm up there for a visit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Great report Jambo. As my lady is from Kamphaeng Phet I've had a chance to see some of the beautiful scenery in that part of Thailand. Do you have map locations for the hot springs and Captain Jack's? Like to put it on our to do list next time I'm up there for a visit.

Sorry, the best I can do is the following:

                                      map.jpg

I have to warn you that these are not easy to find but each National Park, waterfall and hot spring is worth the effort.

The hot spring we visited first is "Hua Nam Nak" which is not quite the same spelling as mine.  There is a largish provincial town nearby by the name of Bho Pra (or very similar) and Captain Jacks is a few miles further on through this town.

The countyside after turning off the main road from Mae Sot to Huai Nam Nak really is stunning. It reminds me somewhat of driving in the the Scottish Highlands with its rolling hills. I simply do not have a camera that will do it justice. The soil is very rich and it is "breadbasket" land with all sorts of crops in abundance.

I don't think I could find my way to any of them without my Thai guides. Even then, twice we went past the correct turn off and had to make u-turns. 🤣

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh my, that looks absolutely lovely. And looks like a fairly straight shot down from Chiang Mai. I could bus down there fairly easy I'd reckon. Spend a couple nights there and then head down to Patts for 2 or 3 nights, then fly back using air miles. This just gave me an excellent idea. Thanks Jambo.

 

BTW - one of my favorite things is my daily hot bath. I have become so attached to the relaxation that I doubt I can have a place in the future without a good bathtub. Almost unthinkable for me anymore to not have one.

 

Jambo, do you know if the train goes through there ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2020 at 6:29 AM, Jambo said:

We had a family day out yesterday.

The countryside up in the Mae Sot area is often quite stunning with National Parks, spectacular scenary, Waterfalls and several different hot springs. We firstly visited the hot springs at "Huay Nam Nam" which provide you with your own wee "swimming pool" full of geothermal water almost hot enough to boil and egg. You feel great afterwards and I had my best nights sleep for absolutely ages.

  1605839332337.jpg

But that was just a prelude to lunch with a return to "Captain Jack Sparrow's " Resort which is truely one of those gems that turn up so unexpectedly in Thailand.

This is what you initially see as you drive down there very steep entrance which has no sign on the main road. You have to know it exists at all.

 HS1.jpg

 

HS2.jpg

There are "huts" scattered around which is the accommodation area.

It is the setting for the restaurant that make this venue so unusual. It is very popular in the evenings and weekends as it is also a live music venue where its eccentric owner performs under his adopted personna as "Captain Jack Sparrow." He speaks good english and remembered me even though it has been a year or so since we last visited.

HS3.jpg

Not a particulaly good photo of the stage.

 

It is much larger than these photo's will give an impression with different heights to the restaurant all of which contain individual places to sit an eat all leading to a lovely waterfall which being only just into the dry season was carrying a good volume of water and makes a great backdrop to enjoy.

HS5.jpg

 

HS6.jpg

 

H7.jpg

 

H8.jpg

 

HS8.jpg

 

Sai's sister "Well."

H9.jpg

We picked the same table as we had the last time. It is literally over the run off from the waterfall and you sit with your feet dangling in the pool immediately below. It is full of fish who congregate expecting to be fed the scraps from our meal. That reminds me of our four dogs. You order your selection from the menu by phone. The service is not quick but the quality of the food makes the wait well worthwhile.

We were the first customers having arrived sy 11.45 but there followed a steady follow of others being mostly being family groups like us. One party of 6 teens made there way right to the top selecting a table near the waterfall which must have pleased the Thai waitress. 🤣

IMG20201119131413.jpg

 

H10.jpg

H11.jpg

 

H12.jpg

Those were the first three dishes that arrived with another four following at intervals. The king prawns were excellent and the dish in the center was portions of fish deep fried with onions and lemon grass which I loved. There was a huge platter of fried rice which was loaded also with peeled king prawns.

The food was really excellent which was fortunate as I had quite naturally been elected to pay the bill. That came to 2,260 baht including drinks. As I had only come out with 2K the ladies had a whip round to come up with the balance. 🤣

Captain Jack decided to entertain us and after a couple of Thai numbers the girls obviously knew he then played a "Scorpions" medly and showed he was an excellent performer on the acoustic guitar.

All good things come to an end and we said our goodbyes to "See you tomorrow" from Captain Jack.

LAST HS.jpg

A good day in Thailand.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, luigi said:

beautiful. i am sure jack has obtained all the legal authorizations to build the resort. not

Captain Jack himself taken about a year ago at our first visit, 😀

                    Jack Sparrow.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Jambo, do you know if the train goes through there ?

The train line from Bangkok to Chiang Mai goes up through Phitsanulok so well to the East.  Green Bus Company will take you there from Chiang Mai.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

What a beautiful place! And that food set out on the table looked fantastic. Did those fish ever come up to tickle your toes thinking they were in for a feast? 🙂

Thanks for sharing an upcountry version of a "day in the life", of Jambo.

 

Most of the time the fish stayed away from our feet but drop anything into the pool and it was a veritable feeding frenzy. There are a couple of largish catfish and they do tickle your feet. 😀

 

4 hours ago, KWA said:

The train line from Bangkok to Chiang Mai goes up through Phitsanulok so well to the East.  Green Bus Company will take you there from Chiang Mai.

Your own transport is essential.

It was a 1 1/2 hour drive from Mae Sot to the hot spring we visited much of it off any main road.

From Tak to Mae Sot is 80 kms and like driving in the Swiss Alps. It used to be the most dangerous road in Thailand until they spent 4 years or so creating a duel carriageway which has turned it into the fastest, most dangerous road in Thailand. It has two escape "roads" for lorries whose brakes fail. It would be incredibly exciting to do it on a real motorbike but the blind bends are scary enough in a car! 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Most of the time the fish stayed away from our feet but drop anything into the pool and it was a veritable feeding frenzy. There are a couple of largish catfish and they do tickle your feet. 😀

 

Your own transport is essential.

It was a 1 1/2 hour drive from Mae Sot to the hot spring we visited much of it off any main road.

From Tak to Mae Sot is 80 kms and like driving in the Swiss Alps. It used to be the most dangerous road in Thailand until they spent 4 years or so creating a duel carriageway which has turned it into the fastest, most dangerous road in Thailand. It has two escape "roads" for lorries whose brakes fail. It would be incredibly exciting to do it on a real motorbike but the blind bends are scary enough in a car! 🤣

ouch....   I may have to take a pass. Dangerous roads and long drives in unknown areas are not my thing anymore.

 

After an incredibly frightening drive I took in the Costa Rican mountains back in the 90's. I've never been so certain that I was going to die when I hit some thick fog. I promised myself - never again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2020 at 3:21 PM, Glasseye said:

ouch....   I may have to take a pass. Dangerous roads and long drives in unknown areas are not my thing anymore.

 

After an incredibly frightening drive I took in the Costa Rican mountains back in the 90's. I've never been so certain that I was going to die when I hit some thick fog. I promised myself - never again.

The road from Tak to Mae Sot is far safer now since they completed the duel carriageway. At least all the vehicles are now going in the same direction!

Prior to that it was an absolute death trap with many blind bends and head-on crashes at least every week. I know members on the Secrets forum thought I was paranoid when I tried to stop the continuous snuff videos which kept being posted by one sick individual but I recognised this stretch of road from the dashcam video of a woman driver hit head on by a coach taking a blind bend on the wrong side of the road. The woman lived in Mae Sot and was killed.

Due to extreme hills this road experiences fog at times as well. The temperature can drop 08c-10c at the top of the steepest hills. On the plus side, there is a huge open market roughly halfway run by "Hill tribe" Thai's and in about a months time I will be able to buy the best and largest sweet strawberries in Thailand. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Jambo said:

The road from Tak to Mae Sot is far safer now since they completed the duel carriageway. At least all the vehicles are now going in the same direction!

Prior to that it was an absolute death trap with many blind bends and head-on crashes at least every week. I know members on the Secrets forum thought I was paranoid when I tried to stop the continuous snuff videos which kept being posted by one sick individual but I recognised this stretch of road from the dashcam video of a woman driver hit head on by a coach taking a blind bend on the wrong side of the road. The woman lived in Mae Sot and was killed.

Due to extreme hills this road experiences fog at times as well. The temperature can drop 08c-10c at the top of the steepest hills. On the plus side, there is a huge open market roughly halfway run by "Hill tribe" Thai's and in about a months time I will be able to buy the best and largest sweet strawberries in Thailand. 🤣

Looks idyllic D ...... did they have satellite so you could see that Pepe headbutt on Sunday??

£70 million blimey ....... love them quiet Thai resorts off the beaten track. Lovely in the morning especially ........ enjoy...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Looks idyllic D ...... did they have satellite so you could see that Pepe headbutt on Sunday??

£70 million blimey ....... love them quiet Thai resorts off the beaten track. Lovely in the morning especially ........ enjoy...

Headbutt?

That would have been a term of affection in a Glasgow pub. 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...