Do you insist on the 'established' brands or buy the supermarkets' often cheaper own brands?

john luke

2 hours ago, Kerry said:

I have always stuck to branded . An ex of mine tried conning me by switching ketchup . I knew straight away . 

"No other kinds once you've tried Heinz?" lol....I tend to stick to the same brands for condiments I've been using forever - like Heinz ketchup - but for most other foods I'll usually go for the best deals and don't pay much attention to the labels. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I generally stick to branded, but am not against trying some own brand.

Recently I tried Tesco's own brand Madras curry sauce in the jars and it was superb.

I regularily eat Tesco's tinned curries and their rice, also some of the Tesco's finest range is good too!

When I think of it, I probably eat more home brand than what I realised.

Edited by boydeste
  • Thumbs Up 1

Usually branded stuff but I don't do the shopping!

Supermarkets own brand breakfast cereals such as bran flakes or all bran are usually as good as the originals and from what I read a while ago have less salt if you're bothered about such stuff.The only tinned stuff I eat is baked beans(heinz),pease pudding(only one available),corned beef(Princes) and tinned fish.The fish I go for sardines or mackerel in olive oil but I don't want fillets,need the bones.

5 hours ago, Kerry said:

I have always stuck to branded . An ex of mine tried conning me by switching ketchup . I knew straight away . 

I like your style. Binned her for trying to mug you off with copies ...pfft!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, roomark said:

Branded if it comes to Sauces , but I've started shopping a lot at Lidl lately and some of the brands there are as good as anything.

Saying that my diet is simple nowadays so..

I took a look in my cupboard and that is similar for me too. Heinz ketchup, Daddies brown sauce, Colemans mustard, Heinz beans etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, boydeste said:

I generally stick to branded, but am not against trying some own brand.

Me too although I am absolutely certain "Brook" baked beans sold in Thailand are Heinz under a different brand name and much cheaper.

branston or brook beans, only heinz ketchup,  marmite and colemans mustard,(checking fridge now)  ambrosia rice ( comfort food), otherwise local brands or unknowns here in thailand work out fine.  example .. siamburies sell mincemeat ( hamburger if you are septic).. it looks like shite, frozen and in what looks like a plastic envelope..  bought by accident once.. and its the best you will find in thailand.  a lot fo our grub comes from the market although thais have been saying for ages not to buy pork at markets, so all but pork  from there.  I do monthly "big shops"  alternating foodland and big c, then siamburies for a taste of home.

I used to do a lot of work for McVities, the chocolate biscuit people. I would say that nearly every supermarket that had their own brand biscuits were made by McVities, they also made KP nuts which again most of the big supermarkets had their own brands made by KP.

M+S biscuits that had got close to a very early strict sell by date were repackaged and sold on to the low end supermarkets and cash and carry places. KP crisps were also most supermarkets own brand too.

I also did work for Pepsico who obviously owned Pepsi and Walkers Crisps amongst others, I'm pretty sure that Pepsi didn't make drinks for anyone else and Walkers definitely only made their own stuff. 

Proctor + Gamble made or still make washing powder and they also did a lot of own brand stuff.

• Like 2

Outside foodstuffs, I've also worked in places churning out domestic electrical products under different brand names, all of which were identical on the inside.

Does anyone really think Asda have set up their own facilities for making all the things they have an own brand version of?  No, they use existing facilities that are prepared to do a deal with them.

15 hours ago, maipenrai said:

"No other kinds once you've tried Heinz?" lol....I tend to stick to the same brands for condiments I've been using forever - like Heinz ketchup - but for most other foods I'll usually go for the best deals and don't pay much attention to the labels. 

Funny....

When I saw the title of the thread my first thought was Heinz ketchup. 

Trying to think of other name brand only now.

Hebrew hot dogs.... Once I had can never go back. I will eat other hot dogs but not buy any other brand for the homestead.

Heinz beans and Heinz tomato sauce are a must, even my daughter won't touch any tomato sauce unless it is Heinz and she is only 5 years old.

I am a big Marmite fan as well as Bovril, no substitutes there.

I am  PG tips fan and no other make will do, it was imported into Thailand when I lived there and whenever I travel I take PG Tips with me. You will see me take a 'Mighty Mug' of PG Tips tea down to breakfast in every hotel I stay at. 

I will try supermarket own brands in most things although if drinking coke it is Coca Cola or nothing.

Generally stick to brands although happy to look at alternatives. I can only speak for myself, but in my experience over the years branded goods appear to have come down in price, perhaps as a result of unbranded competition and overall brand competition within an increase of the likes of Aldi / Lidl in the UK..

I note that Branston Beans are now very popular, challenging the king of beans that are Heinz. For example, a pack of 4 is £2 in Sainsburys, Morrisons etc but only £1.50 (£0.37.5p a can) in B&M Stores, so a 25% saving on the usual retail price. However, Tesco's own BB are only a £1 (£0.25p a can), though...some difference and I do recollect trying these many years ago and found them a bit watery and salty/sweeter than your Heinz. For the sake of 12.5p, I'll stick with either Heinz or Branston.

13 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I was until I found Cushelle Ultra Quilted, amazing.  Got to be Ultra for me, not the Cushelle Original.

If you went to school in the 1970's and early 80's we had this - twas like tracing paper 

image.png

Bit of a mixed bag, got Aldi and Lidl close to me so using them more these days and they are deffo a lot cheaper. Some stuff like cereals, biscuits, lemonade you can’t tell the difference, other things like mustard, coke, beans you absolutely can. Just gotta stick your neck out and try things, you will save a lot of money if you do.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, AJSP said:

If you went to school in the 1970's and early 80's we had this - twas like tracing paper 

image.png

We had 2 toilet roll holders in our bathroom, one for dad and his favoured Izal and one for the rest of us containing a non masochistic toilet paper to ensure we had a more comfortable toilet experience.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1