Do you insist on the 'established' brands or buy the supermarkets' often cheaper own brands?

john luke

5 hours ago, boydeste said:

It's HP that I buy too, don't know why I put Daddies,  just took this pic of my sauces.

I see you have Tesco olive oil in there which is fine, but does anyone on this thread think the olives were grown or pressed anywhere differently from Bertolli or any other brand name?

12 minutes ago, KWA said:

I see you have Tesco olive oil in there which is fine, but does anyone on this thread think the olives were grown or pressed anywhere differently from Bertolli or any other brand name?

Most of my oils and spices are Tesco's own, I can't tell any difference to any other.

I once had a visit to the Weatabix factory, when we were shown around the production line they were changing over the packaging to an own brand, I asked how long the changeover would take due to the recipee change. He said just the packaging and we will be away again. I asked again if they ran a different recipee and he said ''what do you think?''

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sangsom said:

Bit of a mixed bag, got Aldi and Lidl close to me so using them more these days and they are deffo a lot cheaper. Some stuff like cereals, biscuits, lemonade you can’t tell the difference, other things like mustard, coke, beans you absolutely can. Just gotta stick your neck out and try things, you will save a lot of money if you do.

Whenever I visit the family in Scotland we always seem to end up shopping in one or both of these. I was amazed at the quality and range of their food items and am not surprised how they seem to have eclipsed the old school supermarket chains.

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

Whenever I visit the family in Scotland we always seem to end up shopping in one or both of these. I was amazed at the quality and range of their food items and am not surprised how they seem to have eclipsed the old school supermarket chains.

Their stuff can be a bit hit and miss, but if you find stuff that basically tastes the same you can be sure you will be saving some £££

20 hours ago, boydeste said:

Most of my oils and spices are Tesco's own, I can't tell any difference to any other.

I once had a visit to the Weatabix factory, when we were shown around the production line they were changing over the packaging to an own brand, I asked how long the changeover would take due to the recipee change. He said just the packaging and we will be away again. I asked again if they ran a different recipee and he said ''what do you think?''

Doesn't surprise me one bit !    5555555555555555555

On 11/25/2020 at 6:32 PM, Horizondave said:

We had 2 toilet roll holders in our bathroom, one for dad and his favoured Izal and one for the rest of us containing a non masochistic toilet paper to ensure we had a more comfortable toilet experience.

Scott tissue for me..   lasts much longer.... all I do is wipe shit and snot on it.   

22 hours ago, boydeste said:

I know a guy who used to be a factory manager for various biscuit factories. He told me that part of the deals they do with supermarkets are to supply some of their own branded stuff as well, as part of the deal they would get favourable shelf space for their branded products. They aren’t always the same recipes though, some are and some aren’t.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 3:36 PM, Kerry said:

I have always stuck to branded . An ex of mine tried conning me by switching ketchup . I knew straight away . 

I like Daddies sauce but find it increasingly difficult to buy as no one seems to stock it any more, I tried Asda's own and I'm sure it's Daddies at a fraction of the price.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Jambo said:

Aldi cheese is the same as M&S but cheaper.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:18 PM, KWA said:

I used to buy Bertolli Olive Oil for cooking and salad dressing, but sister recommended this Greek oil off the Internet and I was hooked. 🤗
As for all sauces and condiments, I tend to stick to the big brands and that goes for Heinz beans and chocolate Hobnobs as well. 😜

1CE10B5B-4F1E-4A94-B1E2-BF8A901E7ABE.jpeg

Edited by KhunDon

On 11/25/2020 at 2:29 PM, mrcharliemofo said:

I would say that nearly every supermarket that had their own brand biscuits were made by McVities,

Pretty common with most food items I imagine. My ex FIL worked as cost controller for a major oz food manufacturer some years ago. He said they would stop the production line, make minor changes to the contents, eg add more water, change the labels and start it up again. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good thread here boys. Me personally I do both. Ketchup has to be Heinz, that’s a given. Soda, which I’m slowly cutting out, must be real Pepsi or Coke, generic just isn’t the same. Spices are always generic, I get nice 6 Oz bags that last forever for 50 baht or so. Olive oil too, so many brands from different countries but tried a store brand and it did the job. Orange juice, usually the brands are on sale, but generic is fine as well. 

One thing that really pissed me off was 3 weeks ago when I joined Amazon. I started making tuna sandwiches, Mom makes a good one and she told me just throw green onions and mayo in the mix. I remembered college days in the mid 90’s, old roomie was a tight bastard, but insisted on Kraft for mayonnaise. Well I hadn’t purchased mayo in years, I usually just have some kind of cucumber salad dressing on hand, BBQ sauce for ribs, and mustard. So lo and behold, I’m shopping a few supermarkets, Walmart too, and can’t find Kraft mayo, just Miracle Whip.....which is not the same at all. Go to Amazon......yay! All kinds of sizes, and for good prices. Then......I start reading reviews. It seems Kraft is out of the pure mayo business, the thing I really need, and whatever is being shipped today is what’s left over, usually already expired. So that was a no-no

Damn shame, I finally bought some Hellman’s and it was fine for my tuna.....but a shame KRAFT has stopped making real mayonnaise. 

31E4F850-DEBC-4CDC-B0AF-7328B3DDBA56.png

I often buy Supermarket own brands. 

But through trial and error. 

There are some products will little or no difference, while others that are just not the same as the major brand products.  So now I get to know how to save a few quid here and there.  I always buy Sainsburys own brand of vodka, as I mix it anyway and can't really tell the difference. 

I used to by Borsin cheese, now I buy Sainsburys Roule and its just as nice but 70p cheaper.  I always buy the cheaper washing up liquids and bleach etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2020 at 10:15 PM, Golfingboy said:

Good thread here boys. Me personally I do both. Ketchup has to be Heinz, that’s a given. Soda, which I’m slowly cutting out, must be real Pepsi or Coke, generic just isn’t the same. Spices are always generic, I get nice 6 Oz bags that last forever for 50 baht or so. Olive oil too, so many brands from different countries but tried a store brand and it did the job. Orange juice, usually the brands are on sale, but generic is fine as well. 

One thing that really pissed me off was 3 weeks ago when I joined Amazon. I started making tuna sandwiches, Mom makes a good one and she told me just throw green onions and mayo in the mix. I remembered college days in the mid 90’s, old roomie was a tight bastard, but insisted on Kraft for mayonnaise. Well I hadn’t purchased mayo in years, I usually just have some kind of cucumber salad dressing on hand, BBQ sauce for ribs, and mustard. So lo and behold, I’m shopping a few supermarkets, Walmart too, and can’t find Kraft mayo, just Miracle Whip.....which is not the same at all. Go to Amazon......yay! All kinds of sizes, and for good prices. Then......I start reading reviews. It seems Kraft is out of the pure mayo business, the thing I really need, and whatever is being shipped today is what’s left over, usually already expired. So that was a no-no

Damn shame, I finally bought some Hellman’s and it was fine for my tuna.....but a shame KRAFT has stopped making real mayonnaise. 

31E4F850-DEBC-4CDC-B0AF-7328B3DDBA56.png

I have never used mayonnaise for anything in my life ... and I am a big tuna salad fan for sandwiches ... I used olive oil instead ... and a tad of mustard ... 6 - 7 shots of Lee and Perrins ... cut up garlic and onions and a shit load of pepper ...

This post got me thinking .. so, I went to the fridge and looked into the cup boards ...

Baked and or chili beans ... a couple different brands ... so, I guess brands don't matter 

No sauces ( steak or any others ) .. because I don't ever cook red meat ( except sausages ) .. no ketchup because I don't like .. only Lee and Perrins ( I only buy )

Plenty of yellow mustard and spicy brown mustard .. different brands .. so, I guess brands don't matter

A shit load of whole canned tomatoes and tomato paste ( I always make my own sauce for linguini ) .. so, I guess brands don't matter

Olive Oil ... had about 7 different brands

Even peanut butter and jelly .. a couple different brands

The only same brand I had was for spaghetti and linguini noodles .. there I am pretty particular .. and also coffee and beer , almost forgot .. yogurt

I don't drink coke or pepsi ... or eat potato chips

So, there are only a couple of things I am "brand" based

• Like 1