Gutted,, where are the gardening experts ?

tommy dee

a few months back a dead area started in  a hedge that I planted a decade ago.  Its a fab hedge, they all are and really beat having walls everywhere.

today I noticed that its expanded the dead area.  leaves fallen and branches dead.

does anyone have a clue?  before the whole lot goes ?  thanks in advance

T

126885985_1057847471308359_2460950222721143727_n.jpg127280193_122353849521501_6101526486283081042_n.jpg126140804_723568051875900_712221661730310540_n.jpg126202585_306000050527692_633891690374621288_n.jpg127599509_132901545002849_5977348136321238489_n.jpg

7 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

First check the irrigation and after check for pests (also in the soil) and soil poisoning.

been fine for years with water.  dont give much this time of year.  and its only one area., so far, but widening.  i can feed it with fertiliser but i guess i need to know what pests i might me be up against.

9 hours ago, john1000 said:

Insects at a guess. In the UK box spider causes these issues in box hedges. Other cause could be a fungus but the whole plant would be affected.

That would be my guess, too. I've got a beautiful hibiscus bush that had started looking very unhealthy, losing its leaves and wilting no matter what I did. My Thai handyman told me there are small black insects living in the ground there that come out in the early morning and feed on the leaves, and I need to spray it with pesticide. Luckily, my pest control guy was here two days later so I asked him and he agreed that it was probably insects of some sort, though he didn't know what without seeing them. He gave me a litre of insecticide to spray on the plant every week or two and now, two months later, it's looking much healthier and back in bloom. Try an off-the-shelf insecticide, or else give your pest control man a call and see what he suggests. 

IMG20201126093320.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATE..  we use a pesy control service for monthly home and garden treatment here.  spoke to her and sent her pics/  they say they know what it is and will come saturday to treat.  i am not overly confidant but we will see.  it is psreading fast and destroying a fabulous 8 ft hedge that is normally thick and green.  the trees damaged are well and truly dead not just sick.  so its a race against time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tommy dee said:

UPDATE..  we use a pesy control service for monthly home and garden treatment here.  spoke to her and sent her pics/  they say they know what it is and will come saturday to treat.  i am not overly confidant but we will see.  it is psreading fast and destroying a fabulous 8 ft hedge that is normally thick and green.  the trees damaged are well and truly dead not just sick.  so its a race against time.

Probably them who did it in the first place using too strong a Drop Dead Twice mix. 🤣

9 hours ago, tommy dee said:

Do please let us know what they think the problem is. My English neighbour down the road has a similar huge hedge which is completely healthy at the moment, but bugs and fungi can strike awfully quickly.

• Like 1

Are you sure it's dead.... some plants hibernate.   

As mentioned something to spread like that is probably some kind of fungus or root disease. Plants in the tropics have to be very hardy, because of the constant insect onslaught. Non native species can't  cope as well. 

Salt water or oil water run off can decimate plants quickly also.

Edited by Glasseye