Pop Songs We Hate To Admit We Love

Glasseye

Gotta contribute to a music thread . . .

As @mistereggsaid earlier in the thread, often music is about memories. It is for me. Many songs remind me of places, people and things I was doing at the time.

This one reminds me of my dad - he used to play this so much it must have worn the needle out on our stereo system.

7 hours ago, Britboy said:

Gotta contribute to a music thread . . .

As @mistereggsaid earlier in the thread, often music is about memories. It is for me. Many songs remind me of places, people and things I was doing at the time.

This one reminds me of my dad - he used to play this so much it must have worn the needle out on our stereo system.

I remember that as a kid 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Eagles were great in Bangkok, Feb 2011 for sure.  Taking wifey to see Foreigner July 27th here in Calif. Fun times are back....I hope. Can't believe Mick Jones in 76 years old now. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/1/2021 at 5:53 AM, galenkia said:

I've always loved this, such a fantastic melody, and the first half of the song sounds best with just the piano for accompaniment. 

Reminds me of school days gotta be 83 ish?

10 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Eagles were great in Bangkok, Feb 2011 for sure.  Taking wifey to see Foreigner July 27th here in Calif. Fun times are back....I hope. Can't believe Mick Jones in 76 years old now. 

Love Foreigner Mike, play em all the time. Kelly Hansen is great on vocals imo, wish i was going with you mate.

Can you do a report with pics ?

I constantly here people complaining about hearing HC in bars etc, i think its just brill and love it, its an all time classic with lyrics i can agree with lol. I put it in the hall of fame along with Bohemian Rhapsody, Good Vibrations, All Right Now etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Love Foreigner Mike, play em all the time. Kelly Hansen is great on vocals imo, wish i was going with you mate.

Can you do a report with pics ?

I constantly here people complaining about hearing HC in bars etc, i think its just brill and love it, its an all time classic with lyrics i can agree with lol. I put it in the hall of fame along with Bohemian Rhapsody, Good Vibrations, All Right Now etc.

Hey guys.....

I saw Foreigner play at the first Farm Aid - Memorial Stadium, Champaign Illinois,  1985. I was assigned the backstage gate the entire show (went on all day and night, massive O.T.). Every performer had to pass through that gate coming from the performers compound (a fenced in mass of campers, buses and trailers). I was able to interact with nearly all of the performers including Neil Young, Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Bon Jovi and Foreigner.

Foreigner was very impressive as they came through with the entire choir. They then performed, "I want to know what love is" in front of 70,000 +. I think it was the high point of an incredible and unforgettable show. Probably one of the best days of my life.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Pumpuynarak@Glasseye

Cliff, count on it, for sure pics and review forthcoming. Yeah Foreigner should be in the rock and roll hall of fame, but they're not. Sadly, Lou Gramm cannot perform with the band anymore, brain tumor set him back. Kelly Hansen is a great lead singer for this band. I got tickets 8th row orchestra, wifey is geeked up. Like I said, can't believe Mick Jones is 76 years old. Dam the guy can still play well. Spending a week at Lake Tahoe the week prior. 

Glass, saw Foreigner in 1982, Day on The Green here at the Oakland Coliseum Stadium. They were the headliner, with Loverboy, The Scorpions and Iron Maiden. My ears are still ringing!  Great that you got to do what you did for sure. Well done. 

I just can't kick great 70's music, these bands still play at an incredible level live,  really amazing. 

Styx rocked here too in San Jose back in Jan 2020...last show we have been to. Looking so forward to live music again. 

DSC00490.JPG

DSC00498.JPG

DSC00527.JPG

DSC00578.JPG

DSC00591.JPG

DSC00624.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Hey guys.....

I saw Foreigner play at the first Farm Aid - Memorial Stadium, Champaign Illinois,  1985. I was assigned the backstage gate the entire show (went on all day and night, massive O.T.). Every performer had to pass through that gate coming from the performers compound (a fenced in mass of campers, buses and trailers). I was able to interact with nearly all of the performers including Neil Young, Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Bon Jovi and Foreigner.

Foreigner was very impressive as they came through with the entire choir. They then performed, "I want to know what love is" in front of 70,000 +. I think it was the high point of an incredible and unforgettable show. Probably one of the best days of my life.

22 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

@Pumpuynarak@Glasseye

Cliff, count on it, for sure pics and review forthcoming. Yeah Foreigner should be in the rock and roll hall of fame, but they're not. Sadly, Lou Gramm cannot perform with the band anymore, brain tumor set him back. Kelly Hansen is a great lead singer for this band. I got tickets 8th row orchestra, wifey is geeked up. Like I said, can't believe Mick Jones is 76 years old. Dam the guy can still play well. Spending a week at Lake Tahoe the week prior. 

Glass, saw Foreigner in 1982, Day on The Green here at the Oakland Coliseum Stadium. They were the headliner, with Loverboy, The Scorpions and Iron Maiden. My ears are still ringing!  Great that you got to do what you did for sure. Well done. 

I just can't kick great 70's music, these bands still play at an incredible level live,  really amazing. 

Styx rocked here too in San Jose back in Jan 2020...last show we have been to. Looking so forward to live music again. 

DSC00490.JPG

DSC00498.JPG

DSC00527.JPG

DSC00578.JPG

DSC00591.JPG

DSC00624.JPG

Great posts - Foreigner one of my favourite bands, as are Styx.

I've seen Foreigner maybe half a dozen times, first time was in Washington DC/Baltimore at a "Toys for Tots" concert. They were brilliant, Lou Gramm one of the best rock vocalists of all time. Kelly Hansen is a super replacement, seen the band with him as vocalist a couple of times. Mick Jones is a brilliant guitarist and songwriter. Never forget seeing a documentary on Mick/Foreigner which featured Billy Joel being interviewed. He loved Foreigner and was taking the mick out of Mick for all the strange keys he writes songs in. Cold as Ice being the classic example.

As for Styx, well, they're awesome. Seen them a couple of times, the best being as the back-up for Boston at Red Rocks, Colorado. What a venue and Boston are in my top 5 favourite bands. Long story, but that concert I got backstage passes and met all the members of Boston, including Brad Delp, who sadly took his own life a couple of years later. Had a good 15 minute chat with him, he loved English fans and was in awe of Paul McCartney and John Lennon, who he waxed lyrical about during our chat.

Couple of pics below from that concert - me with Brad and my daughter and I with the drummer.

USA 2004 010.jpg

IMG_0597.JPG

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Great posts - Foreigner one of my favourite bands, as are Styx.

I've seen Foreigner maybe half a dozen times, first time was in Washington DC/Baltimore at a "Toys for Tots" concert. They were brilliant, Lou Gramm one of the best rock vocalists of all time. Kelly Hansen is a super replacement, seen the band with him as vocalist a couple of times. Mick Jones is a brilliant guitarist and songwriter. Never forget seeing a documentary on Mick/Foreigner which featured Billy Joel being interviewed. He loved Foreigner and was taking the mick out of Mick for all the strange keys he writes songs in. Cold as Ice being the classic example.

As for Styx, well, they're awesome. Seen them a couple of times, the best being as the back-up for Boston at Red Rocks, Colorado. What a venue and Boston are in my top 5 favourite bands. Long story, but that concert I got backstage passes and met all the members of Boston, including Brad Delp, who sadly took his own life a couple of years later. Had a good 15 minute chat with him, he loved English fans and was in awe of Paul McCartney and John Lennon, who he waxed lyrical about during our chat.

Couple of pics below from that concert - me with Brad and my daughter and I with the drummer.

USA 2004 010.jpg

IMG_0597.JPG

Great !

I remember talking with you about this back at Phil's party. Of course a few months later all hell broke loose and the world changed.

Sure do hope within this year or maybe early 2022 we can all try to have another one. If I recall the last one was in November. Maybe we can pull off some kind of two year miracle reunion. 

:default_party-smiley-048:

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Great !

I remember talking with you about this back at Phil's party. Of course a few months later all hell broke loose and the world changed.

Sure do hope within this year or maybe early 2022 we can all try to have another one. If I recall the last one was in November. Maybe we can pull off some kind of two year miracle reunion. 

:default_party-smiley-048:

Absolutely, be great to have a meet up again, asap.

I've been back in the UK since Feb 2020, primarily came back for my mum, who sadly passed away in April last year. I've finally sorted out her estate and the house sale completes on 23rd of this month. As things stand, I'll be "homeless" after that date, everything I've not sold is in storage and I'm gonna stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks, while I decide what to do. I'm considering doing a @john luke and heading back to Thailand. Just want to chill for a bit, really undecided what to do next. The bummer is I'm fully jabbed up, but seems Thailand could be on the verge of going into a serious "wave" . . . If I come back to Thailand, what's gonna be open to enjoy? Maybe I just stay in a hotel in UK for a few weeks and see what happens. It'll be interesting to see what Boris says on Monday about UK opening up.

I realise a few of the recent posts have been off topic, apologies for that. Perhaps I'll pick up on my original thread of "after a few days on the ground", started when I "moved" to Thailand in August 2019.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Absolutely, be great to have a meet up again, asap.

I've been back in the UK since Feb 2020, primarily came back for my mum, who sadly passed away in April last year. I've finally sorted out her estate and the house sale completes on 23rd of this month. As things stand, I'll be "homeless" after that date, everything I've not sold is in storage and I'm gonna stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks, while I decide what to do. I'm considering doing a @john luke and heading back to Thailand. Just want to chill for a bit, really undecided what to do next. The bummer is I'm fully jabbed up, but seems Thailand could be on the verge of going into a serious "wave" . . . If I come back to Thailand, what's gonna be open to enjoy? Maybe I just stay in a hotel in UK for a few weeks and see what happens. It'll be interesting to see what Boris says on Monday about UK opening up.

I realise a few of the recent posts have been off topic, apologies for that. Perhaps I'll pick up on my original thread of "after a few days on the ground", started when I "moved" to Thailand in August 2019.

So sorry to hear about your Mum. 

I lost my Aunt (she's like my Mom to me) in July, 2020, while I was hunkered down in Patts. Covid got her in the nursing home.

I finally got back in early March. Dealing with the estate as well, along with the heartbreak and many other issues. Not easy I know.

The driving force now for me is to get back to Thailand. Next time hopefully with nothing to worry about. I've been jabbed for weeks now. Getting out of this place and back to now where I consider home is my number one and only priority.

I don't care about bars anymore (although I plan to enjoy them at times). During the time I was in Thailand I discovered Chiang Mai. For me it is paradise. Sitting on my balcony there with my feet up is all I care about at this point.

2 bedroom place. You are welcome any time.

:default_getdown:

cm 1.jpg

cm 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

So sorry to hear about your Mum. 

I lost my Aunt (she's like my Mom to me) in July, 2020, while I was hunkered down in Patts. Covid got her in the nursing home.

I finally got back in early March. Dealing with the estate as well, along with the heartbreak and many other issues. Not easy I know.

The driving force now for me is to get back to Thailand. Next time hopefully with nothing to worry about. I've been jabbed for weeks now. Getting out of this place and back to now where I consider home is my number one and only priority.

I don't care about bars anymore (although I plan to enjoy them at times). During the time I was in Thailand I discovered Chiang Mai. For me it is paradise. Sitting on my balcony there with my feet up is all I care about at this point.

2 bedroom place. You are welcome any time.

:default_getdown:

cm 1.jpg

cm 2.jpg

Thanks, that's really kind of you.

Probably best to take this to private message. I'll message you, either tonight or in the morning.