Sprouts - aka Brussel Sprouts - Love them or Hate them?

john luke

19 minutes ago, thumper63 said:

I love them. Always have. But I have had alot of very poorly cook sprouts in my time..its amazing how many people don't have a clue how to cook them.

Me Grannie Annie said you should never eat sprouts until there was a frost *"aboot."

*Grannie Annie was a Scot and born in Edinburgh which means I could have played football for Scotland or England if I had not been slow and one footed but I said "No" to Scotland. 

I said " No thank you very much" to sprouts as well. 🥴

• Thumbs Up 1

I love them. Many years ago when I was getting to know the GF's habits, I roasted a turkey crown that I'd brought back with me after a visit to Blighty and did it with all the trimmings, including frozen button sprouts that I'd also brought back. Like many Thais, she's pretty adventurous in what she'll eat, in fact some of the Thai crap she shovels down her neck looks so weird that I don't even ask her what it is. I was surprised at the end of the meal to find that she'd eaten everything except the sprouts. If I'd placed a bet on her not eating something, I'd have put it on the stuffing, which can looks pretty odd and off-putting unless you know what it is. But no, it was the sprouts she didn't like, they're definitely mai aloi in her book, lol.

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

Me Grannie Annie said you should never eat sprouts until there was a frost *"aboot."

*Grannie Annie was a Scot and born in Edinburgh which means I could have played football for Scotland or England if I had not been slow and one footed but I said "No" to Scotland. 

My mother also said that sprouts are better after a night of frost; however they have to be subject to the frost whilst still growing, so a night in the freezer would not work, so I am told.

12 hours ago, Jambo said:

Grannie Annie was right.

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning on getting a bag of frozen sprouts from Siamburi's to have on Christmas Day, but I was in Friendship this morning and saw that they had some punnets of nice-looking fresh sprouts. Not expensive, either, one was 33 Baht and the other 37 Baht, and there are some nice small ones in there. I'm sure they'll be a treat, the fresh ones are so much nicer than the frozen version. They've only got around a dozen punnets left so if you fancy a fresh sprout don't leave it too long, they may not get more.

IMG20201217162521.jpg

Love them. The wife get them still on the stalk for my son and I, she won’t touch them. 
Bought on the stalk and they will stay fresh for ages.
These are gonna be cooked in the oven to go with a leg of lamb and roasties for lunch tomorrow.  👍

B3F98668-069F-4EB3-B3D6-F9DD9DC6A493.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 3:38 AM, KhunDon said:

Love them. The wife get them still on the stalk for my son and I, she won’t touch them. 
Bought on the stalk and they will stay fresh for ages.
These are gonna be cooked in the oven to go with a leg of lamb and roasties for lunch tomorrow.  👍

B3F98668-069F-4EB3-B3D6-F9DD9DC6A493.jpeg

Would make a nice mini Christmas tree. Or a real fancy Festivus pole.