Sprouts - aka Brussel Sprouts - Love them or Hate them?

john luke

Just found the last of the chesnuts ....is it chestnuts yes think it is ...... that and bacon or even better pancetta on Boxing Day sorted now after a long country walk and shooting some game birds, venison and rare stags ....... (hang on that is The Crown) ...... bit of garlic too ..... lovely.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2020 at 11:24 AM, john luke said:

Brussels sprouts - BBC Good Food

What have sprouts and Marmite got in common?

The answer is that people either love them or hate them.

Do you love them, hate them or lie somewhere between?

Will you be having them as part of your dinner on or around 25th December?

christmas dinner - The Lee and Lou Food Blog

Just as well we are not talking Cockney Rhyming slang😁

6 hours ago, Whitespider said:

I got some the other day. Would have been the first I’d had for donkeys years. Then the Mrs forgot to cook them so they still reside in the veg tray in the fridge sadly.

My wife bakes them whole in our oven with minimum steam set. Then she whacks them up in the mortar & pestle, adds other stuff like 🌶 fish sauce and Thai herbs and makes some sort of paste to put into her meals. 
Smells bloody awful. 🤮

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Chappo said:

anyone know if its possible to grow on a small scale in Thailand? - i guess it needs a temperature and hermetically controlled environment...

Brussels sprouts are a cool-climate vegetable that does best at temperatures below 75° F (24° C) without too much direct sun or water.  Generally they aren't harvested until the first fall frost, which is needed to improve the flavor. Sprouts wouldn't be suitable for growing in Thailand except maybe on a mountain in the far north. 

I love sprouts roasted in the oven with bacon, but can easily live without the boiled version .

Marmite is a very healthy spread. On bread it's a much better pick-me-up snack than something sweet.  

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

5 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

. Sprouts wouldn't be suitable for growing in Thailand except maybe on a mountain in the far north. 

I will be driving through a northern "mountainous" region later this week and will stop off at the large market which is run by a Thai "Hillside" community that speak Thai in a dialect that even my wife Sai finds hard to understand.

The fruit and veg is excellent but I can absolutely guarantee it will not include sprouts  for sale but I am hoping they will still have on offer the best tasting Strawberries in Thailand. I want to take some back to give to the Thai "old dear" who looks after our house and garden in Bangsaray when we are away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

I will be driving through a northern "mountainous" region later this week and will stop off at the large market which is run by a Thai "Hillside" community that speak Thai in a dialect that even my wife Sai finds hard to understand.

The fruit and veg is excellent but I can absolutely guarantee it will not include sprouts  for sale but I am hoping they will still have on offer the best tasting Strawberries in Thailand. I want to take some back to give to the Thai "old dear" who looks after our house and garden in Bangsaray when we are away.

Maybe tell them to get some seeds and they could start growing them. Who knows if there could be a market for them.

5 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Maybe tell them to get some seeds and they could start growing them. Who knows if there could be a market for them.

tried that at the wifes' sisters house - She lives near Uttaradit but in the mountains behind Laplae. the plants grow very good - but no sprouts are born. They were grown in the shade, its normally cold overnight / in the morning (10c) - but temperature raises throughout the day - which is why i was looking for a small scale temperature / hydro solution

18 hours ago, Chappo said:

tried that at the wifes' sisters house - She lives near Uttaradit but in the mountains behind Laplae. the plants grow very good - but no sprouts are born. They were grown in the shade, its normally cold overnight / in the morning (10c) - but temperature raises throughout the day - which is why i was looking for a small scale temperature / hydro solution

I once brought back with me from the UK two different varieties of Runner Beans. I love runner beans both for the eating and also the lovely red flowers before they set.

I event built a traditional bamboo frame right across the garden in anticipation of my first harvest.

Up came the first shoots.

About 2 inches high when I went off to work but when I got home they had been eaten to the ground. Tried three more sowings before I gave up. 

Sai used the bamboo frame for some Thai climbing vegetable saying

" Som nom na .........I knew your beans would get eaten!" 😂

• 4 weeks later...