Vivo vs Oppo smartphones

Esco

On 12/14/2020 at 8:48 AM, Yesitisdakid said:

Xiaomi Redmi note 9 pro 128 gig storage and 6 gig ram 5020Mh battery that lasts be with heaver than normal use 36 hours 100% to 20%. 8999 at powerbuy and got a 20000 Mah power bank and a case included. Camera great as well 

Autofocusing on my current phone is starting to fail so I think it's a sign it's time to buy a new phone. Are you still happy with the Redmi Note 9 Pro? Is there a more recent model or another brand in the < B15k range you or other BM's would recommend I consider?

Edited to add: If I buy online, what steps do I have to go through to transfer my two SIM's over to the new phone?

Edited by forcebwithu

58 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

make sure new phne is twi sim too, and then take from old and put in new, its that simple

Unless the SIMs are of different sizes.

What are the sizes of SIM cards? | WhistleOut

Larger SIMs can be cut down with a SIM punch, to go up in size it's better to get a new SIM.

You might need to get into the phone settings and force it onto the correct network if it doesn't connect automatically.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Autofocusing on my current phone is starting to fail so I think it's a sign it's time to buy a new phone. Are you still happy with the Redmi Note 9 Pro? Is there a more recent model or another brand in the < B15k range you or other BM's would recommend I consider?

Edited to add: If I buy online, what steps do I have to go through to transfer my two SIM's over to the new phone?

Very happy the battery life is same as when new and i am a very heave user. Great camera and very fast

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Over a year later and I still haven't gotten around to pulling the trigger on upgrading to a new phone. I have a further incentive now to buy new as the Android app for connecting to and programming my new hearing aids isn't working on my old phone.

I like the Xiaomi phones for best value, but I'm concerned about the fact they're a China company and the security risk that comes with using phones produced in that country. For BM's like @Yesitisdakid who have an Xiaomi or Oppo phone, have you ever had reason to question the security of your phone?

56 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Over a year later and I still haven't gotten around to pulling the trigger on upgrading to a new phone. I have a further incentive now to buy new as the Android app for connecting to and programming my new hearing aids isn't working on my old phone.

I like the Xiaomi phones for best value, but I'm concerned about the fact they're a China company and the security risk that comes with using phones produced in that country. For BM's like @Yesitisdakid who have an Xiaomi or Oppo phone, have you ever had reason to question the security of your phone?

I am using Oppo and both my children use Xiaomi, no reason to question the security of any of those phones.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Never Love my 2 Xiaomi phones. I have the 11s and the 9 pro max The battery life is unreal the pro max 9 is 3 years old and i still get 36 hours of use between charges. The 11s 48 hours easy and it is about a year old. If i need to replace one it will be with another Xiaomi.

If you are buying one best to visit the shop they have in Central. I paid 7400 for the 11S on sale they gave me free gifts of a 20000 Power bank a blue tooth head set a Scandisk 256Gb Flash memory card. Phone case and screen protector which they installed. Good guys there well they were a year or so ago

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

8 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Never Love my 2 Xiaomi phones. I have the 11s and the 9 pro max The battery life is unreal the pro max 9 is 3 years old and i still get 36 hours of use between charges. The 11s 48 hours easy and it is about a year old. If i need to replace one it will be with another Xiaomi.

If you are buying one best to visit the shop they have in Central. I paid 7400 for the 11S on sale they gave me free gifts of a 20000 Power bank a blue tooth head set a Scandisk 256Gb Flash memory card. Phone case and screen protector which they installed. Good guys there well they were a year or so ago

Thanks for the Central shop recommendation. I would have been otherwise hunting around Tukcom for a good deal.

After almost 6 years of using my Oppo phone, the Android version has become so old that some apps no longer support it. Apart from that, the phone's still fine, though the battery is lasting less time on a full charge and some things have become slower.

Anyway, I've been very happy with the Oppo and decided months ago that when the time comes I'll upgrade to the new Oppo Reno 8t 5G. I got it from the Banana It store in Lotus on Sukhumvit, the same price as everywhere  else and friendly staff who speak decent English. I went for the 256 GB version which cost a bit under 15K Baht and the guy in the shop transferred my sims (both the phones are dual sim) and copied all the apps and data across from the old phone to the new one, free of charge. My brother back in Wales bought a new iPhone a few months ago and they charged him £25 to copy everything across, rip-off Britain at work again.

As well as the phone and warranties, I got a free goodybag with a power bank, waterproof speaker, Bluetooth ear buds, and so on. I've had it now for a week and it's great, super-fast with a battery that charges in just 40 minutes and lasts several days. The camera is also impressive, with a 105 Mp portrait camera plus a very effective night mode. Here's an example, I took it last night at Hard Rock as we decided to go there for grub:

HR 7.jpg

Anyway, I'm happy with my new phone and can recommend Oppo. It makes sense that the Chinese phones are good, with it being such a huge market and easily leading the way globally in e-commerce and payments via smartphones. If their phones weren't good and reliable then that simply wouldn't have happened.

Edited by Toy Boy
  • Great Info 3

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

After almost 6 years of using my Oppo phone, the Android version has become so old that some apps no longer support it. Apart from that, the phone's still fine, though the battery is lasting less time on a full charge and some things have become slower.

Anyway, I've been very happy with the Oppo and decided months ago that when the time comes I'll upgrade to the new Oppo Reno 8t 5G. I got it from the Banana It store in Lotus on Sukhumvit, the same price as everywhere  else and friendly staff who speak decent English. I went for the 256 GB version which cost a bit under 15K Baht and the guy in the shop transferred my sims (both the phones are dual sim) and copied all the apps and data across from the old phone to the new one, free of charge. My brother back in Wales bought a new iPhone a few months ago and they charged him £25 to copy everything across, rip-off Britain at work again.

As well as the phone and warranties, I got a free goodybag with a power bank, waterproof speaker, Bluetooth ear buds, and so on. I've had it now for a week and it's great, super-fast with a battery that charges in just 40 minutes and lasts several days. The camera is also impressive, with a 105 Mp portrait camera plus a very effective night mode. Here's an example, I took it last night at Hard Rock as we decided to go there for grub:

HR 7.jpg

Anyway, I'm happy with my new phone and can recommend Oppo. It makes sense that the Chinese phones are good, with it being such a huge market and easily leading the way globally in e-commerce and payments via smartphones. If their phones weren't good and reliable then that simply wouldn't have happened.

No surprise really as Apple products are built in China as well.

One thing I'll say is each phone manufacture has a very confusing array of models and options to choose from. Too many, IMHO.

I'm back from a quick trip over to Central's Xiaomi shop. Asked for a spec sheet that compared the various phone models, but all the CSR did was point to the display card that mentioned only about five of the design specs for the phone. To further confuse the issue, different models listed maybe one or two of the same specs as its neighbor's spec list, so useless for comparing models.

Fortunately Mr. Google came to the rescue, which earned a puzzle looked from the CSR when he saw me speaking to Mr. Google through my phone asking him to show me a comparison between the 11 pro and the 12.

Scanning the list it became evident the 11 pro at 9,699B was a better deal, so asked him about a farang promo price. He pointed over to a stack of different, low end, Xiaomi accessories that I could choose from as a "gift". Selected the power bank and asked for the phone in black, only to be told they only had white. Said no thanks I'll check another store.

30 minutes later at the Xiaomi shop in Tukcom I was told the same, only have white. I'll add the price was 1,000B higher at Tukcom than at Central.

I'll do some more armchair comparison shopping and include @Toy Boy's recommendation for Oppo in my search.

It may end up I'll take the white model to save a few satang as the phone spends its entire life in a black leather protecting case, so the color of the phone isn't all that important.

• Like 2

I think I may have this month bought the exact same phone as @Toy Boy.

A Reno8 5g Pro, it was though in rip off Britain! Cost £400 from the manufacturer so 17k bhat, versus the 15k Toyboy paid.

I'll add that I got no free gifts, had to transfer data and apps myself.

Delighted with the phone, a huge upgrade from my old Samsung Galaxy A10.

Battery life is way better, charges super fast, processor is superior.

Very pleased but it would seem much better value to be had in LOS.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

One thing I'll say is each phone manufacture has a very confusing array of models and options to choose from. Too many, IMHO.

I'm back from a quick trip over to Central's Xiaomi shop. Asked for a spec sheet that compared the various phone models, but all the CSR did was point to the display card that mentioned only about five of the design specs for the phone. To further confuse the issue, different models listed maybe one or two of the same specs as its neighbor's spec list, so useless for comparing models.

Fortunately Mr. Google came to the rescue, which earned a puzzle looked from the CSR when he saw me speaking to Mr. Google through my phone asking him to show me a comparison between the 11 pro and the 12.

Scanning the list it became evident the 11 pro at 9,699B was a better deal, so asked him about a farang promo price. He pointed over to a stack of different, low end, Xiaomi accessories that I could choose from as a "gift". Selected the power bank and asked for the phone in black, only to be told they only had white. Said no thanks I'll check another store.

30 minutes later at the Xiaomi shop in Tukcom I was told the same, only have white. I'll add the price was 1,000B higher at Tukcom than at Central.

I'll do some more armchair comparison shopping and include @Toy Boy's recommendation for Oppo in my search.

It may end up I'll take the white model to save a few satang as the phone spends its entire life in a black leather protecting case, so the color of the phone isn't all that important.

I've always found this website useful for the specs on various phones.

https://www.gsmarena.com/oppo-phones-82.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

I think I may have this month bought the exact same phone as @Toy Boy.

A Reno8 5g Pro, it was though in rip off Britain! Cost £400 from the manufacturer so 17k bhat, versus the 15k Toyboy paid.

I'll add that I got no free gifts, had to transfer data and apps myself.

Delighted with the phone, a huge upgrade from my old Samsung Galaxy A10.

Battery life is way better, charges super fast, processor is superior.

Very pleased but it would seem much better value to be had in LOS.

Back in 2020, when the Chinese had gifted us their virus, I swore that I’d never buy another Chinese-branded product again. Instead, I bought a Samsung Galaxy A7 tablet, which is a nice machine but a bit slow and glitchy compared with the old Oppo phone. Then more recently, when I knew the end was approaching for the old phone, I looked at the alternatives and, value-for-money, there was nothing to touch the Chinese makes. My old Oppo has lasted almost 6 years now and it still has life in it if you’re willing to put up with a few apps (like Amazon, not much of an issue living in Thailand) no longer working, and frequent battery charging, so I decided the next phone had to be an Oppo too.

So far, my only quibble is that the old phone had a light on the front that flashed on and off if you missed a call or a text message had arrived. Because of the curved screen occupying the entire front of the new phone, there’s no room for that and so there’s no notification beyond messages displayed on the lockscreen once you power it up. That’s a bit annoying as I found the notification light much more effective, and if you’re expecting a call but think you might have missed it you have to keep turning on the power to see if there are any messages.

OTOH, I’m a bit deaf and I find the 200% ultra-volume mode very useful, for the first time I can hear the phone ringing if I’m in another room, as long as I remember to turn the volume up to max. As you say, it will take a full charge in just 40 minutes and the battery lasts for several days of my modest usage before it needs charging again.

When I first moved out here back in 2004, I treated myself to a state-of-the-art Casio Exilim Pro digital camera which cost around 400 quid back then. It was a good camera, with 7 Mp resolution, massive for the time, but that’s almost nothing when you compare it with the 100 Mp on the main camera of the new phone, or the 32 Mp of the front camera. And as well as a great camera, for roughly the same money, I get the whole smartphone side of things as well. Vorsprung durch Technik, as someone says, lol.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On the Chinese brand telephones, do you still get Android updates and access to Google Play Store? 

I ask because I thought I recalled the US government putting an end to such things a few years back. 

3 minutes ago, Bazle said:

On the Chinese brand telephones, do you still get Android updates and access to Google Play Store? 

I ask because I thought I recalled the US government putting an end to such things a few years back.

Not on new Huawei phones.  I've not heard of any other brands affected (yet).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am still very happy with my OPPO phone.

It has outlived the complimentary case I was given when I was the Supermarkets first customer to purchase (at the time) OPPO's latest model. The phone goes on and on whilst the case disintegrates.

Just ordered a new case from Amazon. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Xiaomi Note 12 Pro. Bought it at Central Banana IT. The purchase transaction took less than 5 minutes, but the transfer of data from my old phone to new took another 45 minutes.

Not sure how it happened, but they refunded the VAT. So the 12,990B VAT inclusive price got knocked down to 12,140B. Another pleasant surprise, the selection of promo gifts I thought I got to choose one from turned out to be I got all them, pictured below.

And the picture below, the first one with my new camera, caused me to waste over an hour figuring out why the USB to PC file transfer wasn't working.

Spent a lot of time with Mr. Google and checking various settings, including activating developer mode, but couldn't find anything that would get the phone to give me the usual prompt of selecting file transfer or charge only when plugging the supplied USB cable. Ultimately the solution was plugging the USB cable directly into my laptop rather than the USB 3.0 hub. Still don't know why the hub wouldn't work as it works fine with everything else, including my old phone, but I'm done for now wasting more time on the issue.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Forgot to mention another issue I had with the new phone. While I have Line installed, I only use it to call and send silly stickers to my lady. I didn't notice until I got home and started hearing the damn Line app dinging with message notifications that the guy at the shop had selected to include my entire contact list as Line "friends" on the new phone.

Since Line only allows for deleting one friend at a time, which would have been very time consuming for the 100+ new friends on the app, I ended up just deleting my account and starting over.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

[...]

I didn't notice until I got home and started hearing the damn Line app dinging with message notifications that the guy at the shop had selected to include my entire contact list as Line "friends" on the new phone.

Which is why I always install my phone myself (including data transfer, a lot easier when you are sitting at home with a cool drink).

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Spent a lot of time with Mr. Google and checking various settings, including activating developer mode . . . .

One to look out for.  Some apps (banking ones from what I read) see this as the equivalent of rooting the phone and won't function if you leave it activated.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1