Quarantine at O2 Luxury Hotel

Smiler

5 hours ago, Smiler said:

First lesson learned: Any hotel that has "luxury" as part of it's name probably is not luxurious at all 😏

Arrived mid day 27/11 feeling elated to be back in Thailand and exhausted from the stress of long distance travel in these messed up times. That said both flights from London and Dubai were great with a whole row to stretch out on.

I decided fresh air and a balcony were at the top of my list of priorities for quarantine. The O2 did not disappoint. It's out of town IMG_20201215_112058.jpgabout 20mins from Swampy. Having a balcony was an absolute god send, the room only got an hour of early morning sun and I had the doors open all day.

The room was around 45 square metres, spotlessly clean and for the vast majority of the time I was there, very quiet.

IMG_20201215_112214.jpg

IMG_20201215_113304.jpg

Internet was fast and reliable, no worries running my firestick, lappy and phone at the same time. 

On day 7 after a negative Covid test I was able to use the roof area.IMG_20201204_135401.jpg

Met some good lads up here which made my incarceration that much easier to deal with. You are only supposed to go up once a day for an hour but it wasn't policed at all, so a group of us would meet up 2 or 3 times a day. Lots of laughs and interesting people/stories.

On the downside: I did not enjoy the food. For me it was at best 3 out of 10, I am only giving it that because of the fruit 😬. You get to choose from a menu for the next day.

1607565702027.jpg

Only 1 guy I met said the food was ok. So pleased I brought a cheese board, bickies, anti-pasta and chocolate with me. You could order from a limited 7-11 menu though.

IMG_20201203_163115.jpg

I am not afraid to say the quarantine thing was mentally tougher than I thought it would be. Staying in a hotel room for 2 weeks, how fucking hard can it be?? Well first off you really can't leave the room and I felt the walls closing in a few times. The stress of knowing all could turn to shit if you tested positive or inconclusive really can't be underestimated either. 

Once I had finished the food I brought with me, I found my day was centered around the meals, if they were shite (most of them were) then that affected my mood.

Part 2 coming soon...

Excellent report. Thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Smiler said:

First lesson learned: Any hotel that has "luxury" as part of it's name probably is not luxurious at all 😏

Arrived mid day 27/11 feeling elated to be back in Thailand and exhausted from the stress of long distance travel in these messed up times. That said both flights from London and Dubai were great with a whole row to stretch out on.

I decided fresh air and a balcony were at the top of my list of priorities for quarantine. The O2 did not disappoint. It's out of town IMG_20201215_112058.jpgabout 20mins from Swampy. Having a balcony was an absolute god send, the room only got an hour of early morning sun and I had the doors open all day.

The room was around 45 square metres, spotlessly clean and for the vast majority of the time I was there, very quiet.

IMG_20201215_112214.jpg

IMG_20201215_113304.jpg

Internet was fast and reliable, no worries running my firestick, lappy and phone at the same time. 

On day 7 after a negative Covid test I was able to use the roof area.IMG_20201204_135401.jpg

Met some good lads up here which made my incarceration that much easier to deal with. You are only supposed to go up once a day for an hour but it wasn't policed at all, so a group of us would meet up 2 or 3 times a day. Lots of laughs and interesting people/stories.

On the downside: I did not enjoy the food. For me it was at best 3 out of 10, I am only giving it that because of the fruit 😬. You get to choose from a menu for the next day.

1607565702027.jpg

Only 1 guy I met said the food was ok. So pleased I brought a cheese board, bickies, anti-pasta and chocolate with me. You could order from a limited 7-11 menu though.

IMG_20201203_163115.jpg

I am not afraid to say the quarantine thing was mentally tougher than I thought it would be. Staying in a hotel room for 2 weeks, how fucking hard can it be?? Well first off you really can't leave the room and I felt the walls closing in a few times. The stress of knowing all could turn to shit if you tested positive or inconclusive really can't be underestimated either. 

Once I had finished the food I brought with me, I found my day was centered around the meals, if they were shite (most of them were) then that affected my mood.

Part 2 coming soon...

I presume that alcohol is a complete No No? 

^^^^^^°°^°°

Part 2

Alcohol is strictly prohibited during quarantine.

Most people I talked to smuggled a bottle of wine or whatever in. Some bags are scanned going through customs (mine wasn't) but if you are under the limits then..

I have read reports where booze was confiscated at the hotels on arrival, even cleaners grassing up people in quarantine. 

I had a couple of miniature Lafroigs and 2  1 glass Merlots which lasted 3 nights! Not a problem for me but yeah it certainly can be for others. There was a German guy who really suffered, he was a total mess after his vodka ran out and I mean a real mess. He reckoned it was the first time in 25 years he had gone a week without drinking. Not that he was an alkie or anything you understand 😏

My last night was eventful. A new arrival in the room opposite me was quite obviously pissed and loud with it. The manager and security were called, not sure exactly what happened. I guess the last thing the Thais want is drunken farangs losing it during quarantine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good report. 

The quality of the food was extremely important to me in choosing a hotel and I read many reviews on FB of people in ASQ to see which hotels would serve decent grub. 

The Anantara was miles better than this but of course comes with a different price tag. 

We did not get to order food from the 7/11 though and trips outside the room were monitored 24/7 unlike at your hotel. 

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Esco said:

Good report. 

The quality of the food was extremely important to me in choosing a hotel and I read many reviews on FB of people in ASQ to see which hotels would serve decent grub. 

The Anantara was miles better than this but of course comes with a different price tag. 

We did not get to order food from the 7/11 though and trips outside the room were monitored 24/7 unlike at your hotel. 

Food is subjective of course. I read a number of reports, even asked someone I know who stayed at the O2. Concensus of opinion was that it was "alright". However, I thought the quality of the rice for instance, was really low grade. Has to be said as well that I am a fussy eater 👀

4 hours ago, tommy dee said:

excellent report.  I can see me using the sheets to climb down from the balcony in a jail style escape, just to buy edible food tho.  

Yeah, and you might as well pick up a few beers and a bottle of Blend while you're out there, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Smiler said:

Food is subjective of course. I read a number of reports, even asked someone I know who stayed at the O2. Concensus of opinion was that it was "alright". However, I thought the quality of the rice for instance, was really low grade. Has to be said as well that I am a fussy eater 👀

Indeed.

There were some folks complaining about the grub at Anantara as well but the overall feedback was overwhelmingly positive so I ignored the fussy cnuts 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, nampla69 said:

Not having the certificate ready kind of defeats the object. Must be so frustrating.

Great report by the way and very much appreciated. Thank you.

Yeah it was or rather is frustrating. I have a letter of apology which Thai Smile accepted at Swampy for my flight up to Udon, however supervisors were called and I was stuck at check-in for 10-15 mins while ALL of my paperwork was checked including boarding passes from my original flights. 

• Thumbs Up 1