Reopening

Homor

21 minutes ago, Homor said:

When do you think Thailand will reopen to visitors without having to go into quarantine? 

when people get their vaccine will that allow you to go straight into Thailand?

Late 2021 or early 2022, but its all just guess work. Thai PM said he won't open the borders until the Thai people have been vaccinated, Thailand isn't due to get the Oxford vaccine until late spring 2021. My hope is that they drop the quarantine requirement for those who have been vaccinated. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

My hope is that they drop the quarantine requirement for those who have been vaccinated. 

If the scientists determine that the vaccine doesn't stop a recipient being infectious, it merely prevents him/her suffering the symptoms of Covid, then I very much doubt the quarantine requirement will be dropped.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

If the scientists determine that the vaccine doesn't stop a recipient being infectious, it merely prevents him/her suffering the symptoms of Covid, then I very much doubt the quarantine requirement will be dropped.

Ditto this ^^^

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

If that's the case the quarantine requirement will never be dropped then. There is no such thing as 'zero covid' and the vaccine will no stop transmission entirely. Therefore, Thailand like the rest of the world will eventually come to the crossroads, continue with the draconian restrictions to limit infections and suffer the economic harm, or accept that covid is not going away and that vaccination is the best form of protection that allows us to return to normal life. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

If that's the case the quarantine requirement will never be dropped then. There is no such thing as 'zero covid' and the vaccine will no stop transmission entirely. Therefore, Thailand like the rest of the world will eventually come to the crossroads, continue with the draconian restrictions to limit infections and suffer the economic harm, or accept that covid is not going away and that vaccination is the best form of protection that allows us to return to normal life. 

I agree with you and it's going to be a difficult one for them to manage.

It may end up being like the flu jab an annual ( or how every long it lasts ) thing  ... if the majority have the jab , it will mean a lot less people requiring hospital treatment , so life can return to normal everywhere ... as long as everyone has access to the vaccine if they want it 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

It may end up being like the flu jab an annual ( or how every long it lasts ) thing  ... if the majority have the jab , it will mean a lot less people requiring hospital treatment , so life can return to normal everywhere ... as long as everyone has access to the vaccine if they want it 

That's the key for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

Spot on. Was just going to answer that.

The general consensus from what I have read (not much, as government are very reluctant to communicate on this ..) is that the vaccine doesn't prevend the virus to hit you, bjt it prevents you falling sick.

Meaning you can carry the virus, have no symptons, y ou dont become sick, but you can transmit it to others....

So, in that case till at least 70% of the population have been vaccinated (and can not become sick) you haven't stopped the disease.

Good luck with that.

Anyway, we should know more in 6 months !

1 minute ago, john1000 said:

A year or so guessing this will take a bit to clear and allay fears over letting foreigners back in from the west.. Whilst we will learn more, the changing nature of the virus and how highly contagious it is, could be two years.😐

joining Tinder now ... 😉 

How long is a piece of string ? No one on here knows and no one in their government knows so to me a thread like this where every answer will be a stab in the dark and pure guesswork is a waste of time.

Why not start a thread and ask who will win the Melbourne Cup in 2022, or the Grand National in 2024, or the FA Cup in 2025 ? Probably more chance of correct answers for them than this question.

I haven't got the foggiest idea so I'll go with the flow and say Q1 2022. Do I win a prize if I'm right ?

Edited by mrcharliemofo
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

I agree with you and it's going to be a difficult one for them to manage.

At the moment yes, particularly with the difficulties around storing the Pfizer vaccine. However, as more vaccines come online, and as production is ramped up, then it really shouldn't be that difficult, especially for those nations that run seasonal vaccination programmes like UK etc. 

4 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I think this is exactly it. I struggle to understand those that can't see that a vaccine is our route out of this, if it isn't then what is? 

8 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

I think this is exactly it. I struggle to understand those that can't see that a vaccine is our route out of this, if it isn't then what is? 

Absolutely it is.

The Oxford one will be the game changer in regards to the UK. 

Here's hoping it's given the okay and rolled out soon. Think Thailand has also bought a load of it. 

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Absolutely it is.

The Oxford one will be the game changer in regards to the UK. 

Here's hoping it's given the okay and rolled out soon. Think Thailand has also bought a load of it. 

The moderna vaccine is also going to be a great help as it is easier to store and distribute. 

The Oxford vaccine is being reviewed by the MHRA as we speak, the Thais have bought 26m doses of the Oxford vaccine which are due to be delivered mid-2021.

No reason why somebody who has been vaccinated should be denied entrance to any city/region/country in the world. The sooner we start to bring an end to this madness the better for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Bazle said:

I think the Thais might ignore this major stumbling block and use the vaccine as an excuse to open up for tourists again.  It would be nuts given their stance to date, but logic does not always apply here.

More likely however (IMO)is they wait until Thais themselves start getting vaccinated en masse, so closer to the end of this year or beginning of next.

As thailand is catching up quickly and we HAVE it here, maybe with conditions, the opening will come closer.  mind u, who would want to travel right now.  just heard that while my mum in Uk got her first shot last week, at 91, another chap at 78 who isnt of the fittest, has been given a date in april.  so the vaccine is a slow deal for many, younger people will be even later.

here vaccines wont roll out till march, whcih means june. and so far the order are for ewnough for just 22% of the thai population.  so that will be a lottery too

LOL ... All governments training the "monkeys" ... there will be a couple more new strains of Covid -- up to and including covid-39 ...  not until they have the "monkeys" all most trained will all of this bullshit ( lockdowns . etc."s  ) be semi rolled-back ... so, I don't personally see anything changing until the middle of 2022 ...

There will be a litany of problems rolling out the vaccines ... back orders .. temporarily out of stock .. etc.'s ... plus, the vaccine itself causing "reactions" that will also create more doubt about it effectiveness .. this is far from over

Lets face it .. this is a perfect "storm" to roll back the freedoms of everyday people .. make them more dependent on the governments .. more megalomania from the government officials ... more people losing their homes and jobs .. this is just the beginning based upon what the officials have gotten away with so far .....

A really good thing that I have baht .....

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

As thailand is catching up quickly and we HAVE it here, maybe with conditions, the opening will come closer.  mind u, who would want to travel right now.  just heard that while my mum in Uk got her first shot last week, at 91, another chap at 78 who isnt of the fittest, has been given a date in april.  so the vaccine is a slow deal for many, younger people will be even later.

here vaccines wont roll out till march, whcih means june. and so far the order are for ewnough for just 22% of the thai population.  so that will be a lottery too

I have heard a very similar report that it is expected to be many months into 2021 before vaccination of those identified as being the highest risk (aged and existing medical conditions) are completed and the program is only then extended to the general population in the UK.

I do not think there is any likelihood of Thailand relaxing restrictions on "mass tourism" before they have been able to conduct and complete a vaccination exercise on a very significant proportion of the Thai population.

11 hours ago, Homor said:

When do you think Thailand will reopen to visitors without having to go into quarantine? 

Sadly - its got the feel of 'How long is a piece of string' to it. There really is no more 'visibility' to all of this then there was in the first half of the year.