BMI

Nightcrawler

Stood on the scales this morning and 80 kilos exactly. 

I lost a lot of weight after having Radio and Chemo treatment and now back to how I was 20 years ago and my waist down to 32 inches again. 

Just checked my BMI which is 23.8. 

Trying to now stay at that forever. Not easy during Tier4

Does anyone ever check their BMI? Does it matter? 

17 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I lost a lot of weight after having Radio and Chemo treatment and now back to how I was 20 years ago and my waist down to 32 inches again. 

Just checked my BMI which is 23.8. 

Trying to now stay at that forever. Not easy during Tier4

Does anyone ever check their BMI? Does it matter? 

I think it's very deceptive,you can be all muscle and be obese according to BMI.

• Thumbs Up 4

A number of factors should be considered when appraising overall heath:

1. weight / BMI
  2. blood pressure
  3. resting heart rate
  4. cholesterol
  5. blood sugar - A1c & fasting
  6. fitness & exercise - e,g., how far can you easily walk at a good pace?
  7. smoking?
  8. alcohol intake

. . .

Of course...YMMV.

8 minutes ago, lazarus said:

1. weight / BMI
  2. blood pressure
  3. resting heart rate
  4. cholesterol
  7. smoking?
  8. alcohol intake

. . .

Of course...YMMV.

YMMV. 

I could not work that out apart from

Your Mother's Massive Vagina 😁😁😁😁

• Haha 5

Weighed myself at work today and only gone up 1 kilo to 75 kilos during 10 days off . Not bad considering I was eating big dinners everyday when I normally don't. Didn't eat much junk though. 

Never worry about BMI, go by the scales and mirror. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, galenkia said:

Weighed myself at work today and only gone up 1 kilo to 75 kilos during 10 days off . Not bad considering I was eating big dinners everyday when I normally don't. Didn't eat much junk though. 

Never worry about BMI, go by the scales and mirror. 

I try to avoid looking in the mirror where possible 🙆‍♂️

10 hours ago, lazarus said:

1. weight / BMI
  2. blood pressure
  3. resting heart rate
  4. cholesterol
  7. smoking?
  8. alcohol intake

. . .

Of course...YMMV.

This sums it up well. For sure BMI is not the “magic” number, some guys are more muscular than others. One thing I know is, as  someone who’s been over 300 pounds the last 8 years or so, is I’m happy I’m not a smoker - bigger guys who smoke usually have a very short life expectancy. Other than that, a keto diet seems to be working well for me. Keeping BP lower is crucial. More so than walking, try to find a massive set of stairs. Before COVID, I was 335, and pulled my cab over to one near my home, think it’s 195(13x15) steps. Well, ashamed to say it took me 3:45......15 years ago my time was about a minute. Let me know how unfit I am

Anyway, if you happen to be there at night, beautiful view at the top

110A1BC2-09B5-450C-8B4C-D732DFEBCD1A.jpeg

8D66496B-31E2-43B6-9750-51FA0FB850FD.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Great Info 1

13 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

12 hours ago, galenkia said:

Weighed myself at work today and only gone up 1 kilo to 75 kilos during 10 days off .

As William "the refrigerator" Perry would say

"I eat hamburgers bigger than you"

William "The Refrigerator" Perry | Chicago bears football, Chicago sports  teams, Nfl chicago bears

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Mr Mosquito said:

What's that got to do with BMI?

Nothing, worry or think about the list if you want 

1. weight / BMI
  2. blood pressure
  3. resting heart rate
  4. cholesterol
  7. smoking?
  8. alcohol intake

I,d rather just live life than worry or be thinking about a list like that.

3 hours ago, simon said:

Nothing, worry or think about the list if you want 

1. weight / BMI
  2. blood pressure
  3. resting heart rate
  4. cholesterol
  7. smoking?
  8. alcohol intake

I,d rather just live life than worry or be thinking about a list like that.

The coroner taking away my dead buddy a few months ago...62 years old...we were friends for over 45 years.

Died of a heart attack in front of his house. His son found him still alive. Died in his son's arms.

Didn't take care of himself. Drank a lot. Didn't worry. Yeah...his choice. 

mini-20200911_135135.jpg

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

I was joking 

My apology.

I should not have quoted your post when making my observation as I never thought for one moment that you were being serious. 😬

This topic has been far too close to home for me as I WAS once an athlete and longtime footballer and now some mornings it is as much as I can do to get out of bed thanks to dodgy knees and lower back pain. AIl of those problems I make far worse by being overweight. If I was a horse they would have shot me by now. ☹️

On the good side my only redeeming factors are that I have never smoked and my alcohol consumption is very occasional and never at home. I cling to those like a drowning man and a lifebelt.

On the bad side I was overweight before Covid and have added greatly in the last 9 months and I know I do not exercise enough.

I suddenly feel like an accident waiting to happen and the remedy is in my hands and nobody else.

I know exactly what excercises to do I just need the discipline to do them.

No more crap comfort food.

Starting Sunday a strict low carbohydrate diet verging on the no carbohydrates for the first month.

I can be very stubborn and this is one time it can be a virtue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a number of friends who were very athletic in their youth, ozzies love their sport. Unfortunately most of them are having joint pains, knees and hips in particular. Perhaos there is something to be said for being a nerdy book worm! 

On 1/5/2021 at 8:19 PM, Jambo said:

My apology.

I should not have quoted your post when making my observation as I never thought for one moment that you were being serious. 😬

This topic has been far too close to home for me as I WAS once an athlete and longtime footballer and now some mornings it is as much as I can do to get out of bed thanks to dodgy knees and lower back pain. AIl of those problems I make far worse by being overweight. If I was a horse they would have shot me by now. ☹️

On the good side my only redeeming factors are that I have never smoked and my alcohol consumption is very occasional and never at home. I cling to those like a drowning man and a lifebelt.

On the bad side I was overweight before Covid and have added greatly in the last 9 months and I know I do not exercise enough.

I suddenly feel like an accident waiting to happen and the remedy is in my hands and nobody else.

I know exactly what excercises to do I just need the discipline to do them.

No more crap comfort food.

Starting Sunday a strict low carbohydrate diet verging on the no carbohydrates for the first month.

I can be very stubborn and this is one time it can be a virtue.

No problem. Had no idea you had gotten bigger, I remember posts of you on the running track, gave me the impression you were fairly fit. There’s so much I can say here, based on my own personal struggles with the bulge. Have made many mistakes and continue to do so, but I know it’s not about being perfect, we all slip up. That being said........

1. We must keep an eye on our weight, forever. A kg or 2 gain is no problem, but there is no reason to let yourself go by 40, 50, or 100+ pounds like me, and expect it’s going to magically get better sitting on the couch eating what I want

2. Rome wasn’t built in a day, it takes consistent, permanent work on both diet AND exercise to stay lean. Even now, I have the attitude that if I ever get down to 100kg or so, I’ll have it made and can just “maintain” with little effort.......probably not if I slack off again. 

3. Cheating is necessary, IMO, both for your body and brain. Whether it’s one meal or a whole weekend binge, I truly believe it benefits you when you go back at diet and workouts hard, the body senses you took in more calories and they must be burned off. That being said, keep it to one weekend and after you’ve already reached a specific goal- for me I like to target 5KG jumps on the scale, 135kg is coming this weekend

4. Know that despite all the success stories you see......it’s not easy. If it was, everyone would be fit and no one would be overweight to begin with. It’s much easier to stay home than to get out and walk ten thousand steps/5 miles in shitty weather, but that’s how we progress. Personally, the actor Ethan Suplee has inspired me....if he can go from 530 to 255 pounds, I know I can lose the 80 or so I have left

1FB81B0E-3DC9-4E0E-8593-8E9A1C262020.jpeg

3AC811B7-DCC5-42AD-AB9D-C60B09AA9260.jpeg

• Like 2

I deliberately decided to start my low carb diet from this  forthcoming Sunday for two reasons:

1. Start with a new complete week

2. Get my wife used to the fact I really am serious about cutting out carbs.

Good decision.

Yesterday Sai and her sister came back from shopping with two boxes fron Dunkin Donuts. 🤣

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5