How are you coping with lockdown/Covid restriction Tiers?

Nightcrawler

1 hour ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I just retired at the end of December and it has been a bit of a let down in not being able to go out to a pub or bar and grill for a bite to eat, a couple beers and watching the game, or at least highlights of the game. Have done some small projects around the house (put up some new back splash in my kitchen this week) and errands as necessary. But since the start of the year, I find myself not even leaving the house about 3 days a week. After over 30 years on the job and having the constant interaction with fellow employees and friends on a daily basis, now living a life of minimal contact with people unless going to the supermarket, has been a radical change. 

Haven't been motivated to exercise, though I know I should, as I can feel myself having gained a bit of weight in the last 6 weeks, including drinking more liquor, such as rum/cokes or gin/tonics.

<snip>

I had hoped for the opportunity for travel just after retiring, but like with so many of us here, real life steps in and has other ideas. But I'm still hoping to see a few of you around the end of this year or early '22, fingers crossed. Hang in there guys, logging on here every 2-3 days to get caught up on threads and respond to other bm's is a nice way to spend some time and stay involved, feeling like you're a part of something.

Now to get started on doing those sit ups and push ups.....................tomorrow! 😁

Hop on the train and c'mon down to The City and we can take a socially distanced walk on the beach and discuss the upcoming 2022 mid-terms. Hah!

We could also tour the many homeless encampments along the I-80 corridor...something to see to be believed. Crazy what is happening to our world these days.

Seriously, though...if you have a "health" app on your phone use it to record steps/miles and walk everyday. Retirement can be brutal physically (& mentally) unless one keeps busy. Take up a new hobby. I started bird watching and photography back in March when the "shelter in place" order first went into effect. It gets me out, I walk a lot, and I've learned a lot. There's a lot of great wildlife refuges near you in the Sacramento Valley and Delta.

Kudos for helping your Mom navigate her twilight years. That's what brought me back to the US from living in TH and I will always remember that time in my life.

. . .

ps: photo of the train &  White-tailed Kite was taken in Richmond a few days ago at Point Pinole Regional Shoreline...near the big Chevron refinery.

20210210-IMG_5230.jpg

20210210-IMG_5248-2.jpg

Edited by lazarus
misspells
  • Like 3

Thankfully we never had any lockdowns where I live but like everyone else i do grow weary of other restrictions, especially having to wear those wretched masks in every indoor public space - a real PITA for an eyeglass wearer in the winter months. We haven't had any cases of Covid now for over two months yet there is no end in sight for our emergency mandates, and I have reason to believe that some gov't services have been cut back in the name of Covid but are really just cost-cutting measures that they can get away with because of the virus. 

Like most of us here, I am itching to get travelling again but I can't see much movement in that regard until at least the end of the year. I am keeping in reasonable shape and have even lost a few pounds over the last year - I used to walk a lot but now don't due to an arthritic knee, but moving massive amounts of snow and dealing with firewood seem to keep me reasonably fit. I am growing weary of winter and this week's cold snap didn't help but we are picking up daylight every day now and in a few weeks' time spring will be here. Our pubs are open with some restrictions so at least I have a bit of a social life when I feel like it; I spend a lot of time at home but am quite comfortable and usually have enough to do to keep me busy, although I do spend too much time on the internet. If I was living in a small apartment or condo I would probably be climbing the walls by now but having the yard and vehicles, etc. keeps me busy enough. I may even get started on building my long-awaited and much-needed garage/workshop this year if it looks like next winter will be another one stuck at home.

Financially I have no complaints - I have been saving money steadily since my return from overseas last year and have had considerable luck on the stock market as well so am well poised for another trip when I am able to, and I'll make sure it's a good one when I can! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 2/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, Nightcrawler said:

I thought that I was coping fairly well with lockdown, but recently I have become very lethargic and lack motivation to do the most simple tasks, let alone the list of things that I could be doing.  That and I think that have developed Torettes Syndrome. When I do go out for necessary shopping I get angry with people who don't look where they are going, not wearing a mask or I simply don't like the look of. I continue talking to myself and coming out with involuntary swear words and substituting the words of songs with swear words.  

I have managed to reduce my alcohol intake though. 

But what bugs me most, as I am retired, is that I often forget which day of the week it is, as they are all the same. There are no weekends anymore. 

I don't feel particularly depressed or anxious though. 

I just need to get motivated and that can be difficult. Like many, the things that I used to love doing, are not available. Thank Christ for the Internet though, as I can't imagine what this lockdown would be without it. At least we can communicated with others as well as just the telephone. 

My sleep pattern has also changed recently anf I have been waking up at 4am. Have a cup of tea and go back to bed for another 6 hours. I go for a walk, then dose off for an hour in the afternoon watching mindless daytime TV. 

I am told, that these reactions are fairly common, but knowing that, doesn't really help. 

It is important though, for me to realise that there are many people who are far worse off that me, during these dark times.

I just read your post which just about sums up exactly how I feel and act with the exclusion of alcohol intake as I never drink at home.

I have given up worrying about why I am not sleeping "normally" as I cannot remember the last time I slept through the night. If I fall asleep in the afternoon whilst reading my kindle or watching Netflix I fall asleep.

Unfortunately, procrastination is becoming the norm rather than the exception. It took me two days to get round to carrying out a 5 minute adjustment to the Honda.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jambo said:

I just read your post which just about sums up exactly how I feel and act with the exclusion of alcohol intake as I never drink at home.

I have given up worrying about why I am not sleeping "normally" as I cannot remember the last time I slept through the night. If I fall asleep in the afternoon whilst reading my kindle or watching Netflix I fall asleep.

Unfortunately, procrastination is becoming the norm rather than the exception. It took me two days to get round to carrying out a 5 minute adjustment to the Honda.

Is your local fishing lake open?

Getting out and about fishing every so often really helps me get through the dark days, unfortunately most of my lakes are frozen over right now and even my pond froze last night.