Win 10 Redesign Coming

forcebwithu

Not happy to read this report. My feeling is if they're going to fck around with the user interface, then release it as a new version and leave those of us that want to stick with the tried and true alone.

I was a long time user of Win 7 for that reason. Skipped Win 8 as I really disliked the new look and feel of the UI. Only went to Win 10 when I was forced to by the sunsetting of Win 7. Immediately installed Classic Shell just so I could stick with a UI I was familiar and comfortable with.

My concern with a redesign is not only will it probably break Classic Shell, but a whole host of other programs I rely on. Thus the reason I say they should release it as a major update with a new version number. Suggest Win C19 until they work out all the bugs.

Windows 10 is rumored to be getting a major redesign. Don't screw this up, Microsoft!

Microsoft recently posted a job listing on its website that said the company is working on a "sweeping visual rejuvenation of Windows experiences to signal to our customers that Windows is BACK and ensure that Windows is considered the best user OS experience for customers," according to Windows Latest. The listing remains but the language has since been dialed back quite a bit.
Microsoft did not respond to a request for comment.

That job post confirmed widespread reports that Microsoft was working on a major Windows 10 user-inferface refresh codenamed "Sun Valley," in which Microsoft would release an all-new Start Menu, File Explorer, Action Center and taskbar. Tablet users will also reportedly get a redesigned virtual keyboard with better access to emojis. And Microsoft is expected to give all Windows 10 elements a makeover to align all of the recently tweaked elements of the operating system in a consistent design.

Even with Win 10 updates my PC crashes on a daily basis for weeks after, cannot find personal settings etc.

Wish they would leave the fark alone.

While the new major 'update' may be "free" it will be aimed at extracting more income for MS, one way or another

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Zeb said:

Even with Win 10 updates my PC crashes on a daily basis for weeks after, cannot find personal settings etc.

Wish they would leave the fark alone.

While the new major 'update' may be "free" it will be aimed at extracting more income for MS, one way or another

Probably through third party apps making your PC's OS similar to that of your phone and tablet, which is apparently what the new generation prefers. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

On 2 PCs I have win 7 still and on 1 PC have win 10 i am not a fan of Win 10

I am still on Win 7 on my PC and see no reason to have to change unless I absolutely have to because it no longer works.

I had to buy a new laptop for my frequent travels and the one I purchased was the only one with an operating system included and that was Win 10.

Basically I hated it and still do. Superficially, when it boots up, I changed a lot so it now looks like Win 7. I have the option to switch back to the standard Win 10 look but never have found the need.

In summary, I totally look forward to them changing Win 10 as long as they go back to look and operate like Win 7.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Freee!! said:

Looks like it is time to permanently switch to Linux.

i wish more programs ran on linux.  our network of processors is all linux and never ever crashes.  W10 wont let you really switch off updates and quite often reboots or crahses as a result.  thats a real pain for me, so much so that I have no a backup i can switch to while it f's around doin its damn updates.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

i wish more programs ran on linux.  our network of processors is all linux and never ever crashes.  W10 wont let you really switch off updates and quite often reboots or crahses as a result.  thats a real pain for me, so much so that I have no a backup i can switch to while it f's around doin its damn updates.

For most programs I use there is an acceptable Linux version or alternative. Unfortunately, that isn't (yet) true for IrfanView.

I had Win 7 but the laptop crashed and it needed  a shop visit to sort it.  Managed to save some files but needed a new operating system which the guy loaded, it was Win 10 and as much as I didn't like it at first I suppose I am used to it now although I hate the One drive section, my photos seem to be everywhere.

Thought also that they were stopping support for Win 7 soon or already, not sure about that. 

1 minute ago, Horizondave said:

I had Win 7 but the laptop crashed and it needed  a shop visit to sort it.  Managed to save some files but needed a new operating system which the guy loaded, it was Win 10 and as much as I didn't like it at first I suppose I am used to it now although I hate the One drive section, my photos seem to be everywhere.

Thought also that they were stopping support for Win 7 soon or already, not sure about that. 

Win 7 support ended last year, 14 January.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/windows/end-of-windows-7-support

• Thumbs Up 1