Buying vaccine here in Thailand for expats who live here (Threads Merged)

Pumpuynarak

I'm considering getting a flight back to the UK to get both jabs and spend some time with my 91 yo mum. I have'nt gone into detail as to exactly what that will entail but hopefully its doable.

I'm fed up to the back teeth with whats going on here in Thailand in respect of farang vaccination and being in the high risk group due to type 2 diabetes and being 70 yo it might just be the way to go.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I'm fed up to the back teeth with whats going on here in Thailand in respect of farang vaccination and being in the high risk group due to type 2 diabetes and being 70 yo it might just be the way to go.

The feeling after the second jab/shot is very reassuring. Up to that point you could easily become a statistic on someone's web rant... 😬

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.thailandintervac.com/

is the government website specifically meant for foreigners, though after serial failures it's now just become an announcement board and a collection of links. It's worth bookmarking, though.

The links can be very simple to use, like the Med Park one

https://www.medparkhospital.com/en/page/covid19-vaccine-expats

to pretty damn frustrating like the Phyathai2 one that I used (it was all that was available at the time), but which did deliver the goods as I got a shot of AZ on Thursday.

For the first time, they're announcing provincial rollouts which will interest those living up-country who regard a trip to Bangkok as being a bit too much.

The message is to keep on checking the links until they show you an actual registration form, then complete it and wait for confirmation. It might be easy and it might be really annoying but, with a bit of luck, eventually you'll get an appointment if you really want one.

Good luck!

• Great Info 3

14 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I'm considering getting a flight back to the UK to get both jabs and spend some time with my 91 yo mum. I have'nt gone into detail as to exactly what that will entail but hopefully its doable.

Make up your mind quickly because Thailand must go on the UK's Red list soon. The danger is you go over then cannot get back.

T#### L##  managed to take advantage of a registration "window" that briefly opened for a few days and had his first vaccination a week ago.

It would appear to be a matter of keeping one's eyes open, perseverance and luck.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/23/2021 at 10:54 AM, Jambo said:

I am still not over the 6 hour time difference between the UK and Thailand. By 9.30pm I can hardly keep my eyes open and then I am getting up at 05:00am every morning to make a coffee. Did you know it is light at five in the morning? 🤣

I'm just like that, and I've been back 16 months!

Know the thread is for farangs, but wife's parents got theirs a couple of days ago. They live just outside Ayutthaya. 

The general procurement and roll out must at least be gathering a bit of pace ...

Edited by Krapow
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

That is what worries me.

A couple who are friends of mine just flew to England from Canada after her uncle passed away - they made it okay with some bumps along the way because of tests not being ready in time, etc. - her advice on her FB feed is if you don't need to travel now, don't do it...I don't know how long they are planning on staying but I do hope they don't get stuck over there for some reason...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

A couple who are friends of mine just flew to England from Canada after her uncle passed away - they made it okay with some bumps along the way because of tests not being ready in time, etc. - her advice on her FB feed is if you don't need to travel now, don't do it...I don't know how long they are planning on staying but I do hope they don't get stuck over there for some reason...

Yes and her advice is probaly the way to go if you're sensible but i'm getting fed up with the lack of clarity on getting the jab here in Thailand. This governments handling of this issue is truly staggering imo, confusion reigns and statements being made are then proved to be incorrect or just down right lies.

I would have to stay in the UK for a maximum of 8 weeks to ensure i get both jabs and then hopefully i could return to Thailand providing their are no restrictions. Now do i take a chance ? probaly not in light of what is happening in Thailand with daily increases in infections/deaths.

Perhaps if Thailand gets control of the situation quickly all will be good but..................

I think i'll just see what develops in the next couple of weeks before making a decision, ya never know i might get jabbed and i believe in Father Christmas lol

9 hours ago, Krapow said:

Know the thread is for farangs, but wife's parents got theirs a couple of days ago. They live just outside Ayutthaya. 

The general procurement and roll out must at least be gathering a bit of pace ...

Now that I've got myself sorted out, the GF is giving me the third degree over getting her a vaccine. My original plan, along with that of many farangs living here, had been to simply pay for us to both be vaccinated at one of the local private hospitals, but they’ve let us all down badly so now we have to rely on the free national rollout, which was never my desire. Her problem is, like many people living in the Pattaya catchment area, that she’s not listed in a housebook down here, only in her mother’s place in Phetchabun. I told her that all of the places I’ve seen offering vaccines for Thais in Pattaya have been restricted to people who can prove, via the housebook, that they’re residents here.

Does anybody know of a way for a Thai living in the Pattaya or Chonburi area (she actually lives in Laem Chabang) to get a vaccine without being in a housebook? I’ve suggested that she goes home, but she doesn’t want to for a number of reasons. I’ve also suggested that she gets one of her family members in Laem Chabang who own their property to add her to their housebook, but they’re all so old that they’re scared to even see her in case she’s infected, let alone go to the relevant office and queue to complete the paperwork. Beyond that, I’ve run out of ideas.

Any suggestions anybody?

On 7/24/2021 at 6:53 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Returning home has been my Plan B since April, but it doesn't make much sense now. Which is safer, Thailand with 15,000 new cases a day (probably at least double that number in reality, though) and full Covid safety protocols like face masks and social distancing very much in force, or the UK with 30,000 new cases a day and almost all Covid safety measures dropped? Plus a lot of medics seem to think that the current drop in new cases is bound to go into reverse soon. The answer for me is Thailand by quite a margin.

I recall that you live in Isaan, Cliff, is it in Khon Kaen? If so, the next round of vaccine registrations offered to foreigners will include Bangkok Khon Kaen Hospital.

Numbers will be limited so it’s best to keep a close eye on the link and fill in the form as soon as it appears. Maybe wifey can drop by the hospital and find out more about the date they’ll start registration. This system is a pain in the arse, I know, but if you’re lucky it works, it’s how I got an AZ vaccine last Thursday. It can be a test of your IT skills, too, so maybe get your friend to help you with it.

Good luck, anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Returning home has been my Plan B since April, but it doesn't make much sense now. Which is safer, Thailand with 15,000 new cases a day (probably at least double that number in reality, though) and full Covid safety protocols like face masks and social distancing very much in force, or the UK with 30,000 new cases a day and almost all Covid safety measures dropped? Plus a lot of medics seem to think that the current drop in new cases is bound to go into reverse soon. The answer for me is Thailand by quite a margin.

I recall that you live in Isaan, Cliff, is it in Khon Kaen? If so, the next round of vaccine registrations offered to foreigners will include Bangkok Khon Kaen Hospital.

Numbers will be limited so it’s best to keep a close eye on the link and fill in the form as soon as it appears. Maybe wifey can drop by the hospital and find out more about the date they’ll start registration. This system is a pain in the arse, I know, but if you’re lucky it works, it’s how I got an AZ vaccine last Thursday. It can be a test of your IT skills, too, so maybe get your friend to help you with it.

Good luck, anyway.

Great information.  To add...if you have used/use the Bkk Hospital in Khon Khan and have a hospital/patient number there .... then you can register with them at the hospital.  

cheers

Edited by roobob

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Thanks for your post, i live in Korat and at the time of posting no farang vaccination program is in place but it is planned in the future i have been advised, i'm registered with BTTC so like many i'm just waiting to hear from them.

Wifey has contacted all the hospitals in Korat and been informed "no vaccine available" even if i am prepared to pay.

57 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks for your post, i live in Korat and at the time of posting no farang vaccination program is in place but it is planned in the future i have been advised, i'm registered with BTTC so like many i'm just waiting to hear from them.

Wifey has contacted all the hospitals in Korat and been informed "no vaccine available" even if i am prepared to pay.

Yeah, the killer's the fact that, for decades, we've expected to pay for our own health care, and mostly been quite happy to do so, but now we're not allowed to. A friend of the GF who's around the same age, 38, and works in some factory or other in Laem Chabang making widgets, was vaccinated by her employer. And yet Thailand's finest private hospitals are unable to source any vaccines for their paying customers. Kafkaesque doesn't begin to describe it!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Now that I've got myself sorted out, the GF is giving me the third degree over getting her a vaccine. My original plan, along with that of many farangs living here, had been to simply pay for us to both be vaccinated at one of the local private hospitals, but they’ve let us all down badly so now we have to rely on the free national rollout, which was never my desire. Her problem is, like many people living in the Pattaya catchment area, that she’s not listed in a housebook down here, only in her mother’s place in Phetchabun. I told her that all of the places I’ve seen offering vaccines for Thais in Pattaya have been restricted to people who can prove, via the housebook, that they’re residents here.

Does anybody know of a way for a Thai living in the Pattaya or Chonburi area (she actually lives in Laem Chabang) to get a vaccine without being in a housebook? I’ve suggested that she goes home, but she doesn’t want to for a number of reasons. I’ve also suggested that she gets one of her family members in Laem Chabang who own their property to add her to their housebook, but they’re all so old that they’re scared to even see her in case she’s infected, let alone go to the relevant office and queue to complete the paperwork. Beyond that, I’ve run out of ideas.

Any suggestions anybody?

My wife's family have all been told that they should get their vaccine where they are registered on a house book, that is Khon Kaen and where most will need to go.  One of my wife's sisters has had the Sinopharm vaccine in Bangkok but that was through her company otherwise, she also, would have been heading north.

Other than being an essential worker I would think a trip home would be the option.

Hope you get a better reply from those on the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

My wife's family have all been told that they should get their vaccine where they are registered on a house book, that is Khon Kaen and where most will need to go.  One of my wife's sisters has had the Sinopharm vaccine in Bangkok but that was through her company otherwise, she also, would have been heading north.

Other than being an essential worker I would think a trip home would be the option.

Hope you get a better reply from those on the ground.

The madness continues. Interprovincial travel if not out right banned, is highly discouraged. At the same time if you want to protect yourself from the virus with a jab, you have to travel home. :Oops1:

Edited by forcebwithu
discouraged, not encouraged, doh
  • Like 3

• john luke changed the title to Buying vaccine here in Thailand for expats who live here (Threads Merged)
2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Yeah, the killer's the fact that, for decades, we've expected to pay for our own health care, and mostly been quite happy to do so, but now we're not allowed to. A friend of the GF who's around the same age, 38, and works in some factory or other in Laem Chabang making widgets, was vaccinated by her employer. And yet Thailand's finest private hospitals are unable to source any vaccines for their paying customers. Kafkaesque doesn't begin to describe it!

The reason hospitals can not procure their own vaccines is all purchases need to go through a govt agency, and the govt until recently wouldn't let them. Suppose no profit to the agency people if they let others in on the gravy train.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

The reason hospitals can not procure their own vaccines is all purchases need to go through a govt agency, and the govt until recently wouldn't let them. Suppose no profit to the agency people if they let others in on the gravy train.

BINGO its all about the money, peoples health and lives don't matter, utterly disgraceful attitude imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

BINGO its all about the money, peoples health and lives don't matter, utterly disgraceful attitude imo.

And just to highlight the injustices even further........

One of the nephews is well connected in certain aspects due to his job. 3 weeks ago he organised it for 2 of his cousins and a wife to get their first AZ jab. Yesterday another 4 cousins traveled to Bangkok and got theirs. No payment. Of the 7 who had vaccinations the eldest is 34, the youngest is my girl, she's 20.

• Great Info 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/1/2021 at 8:27 PM, roobob said:

A few mates of mine got the jab on Monday in Phuket at an innoculation place set up in the Lagoona (sp) area. They got the AZ vaccine. In at 10am and out by 12.30pm. The main wait was for all the paperwork to be recorded after the jab and they were given an appointment when their second jab will be. 

They said a the place was busy with Thais and many farangs there. The cost was free. The process was hassle free and run pretty well. 

cheersi  

Disgraceful attitude and injustice...harsh words indeed.

As posted above..farangs have been getting the jab for free ...AZ at that. 

The problem with the Issan area is a lack of vaccines. What they did have was transferred to BKK when the numbers went  up there to be used.

Where I am in in Issan.... and talking to others who are in different areas....local Govt Health officials along with the District Headman and Village Headman have been around getting names of the 60yo and older  people..be it Thai or farang.... to register their name for the vaccine free of charge when it is available. The only rider on it was that they did not know what vaccine it would be...could be the chinese one...AZ... etc....but it would be offered free or if you did not want to go that way you could wait and pay for the choice you wanted when certain hospitals rolled it out. 

I am registered at two hospitals...the Bkk group and the Thonburi Group and the total  cost will be between 3,000 to 3,600 baht for the both shots.

As Toy Boy said....keep a close eye out.

cheers 

Edited by roobob
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Jambo said:

Make up your mind quickly because Thailand must go on the UK's Red list soon. The danger is you go over then cannot get back.

T#### L##  managed to take advantage of a registration "window" that briefly opened for a few days and had his first vaccination a week ago.

It would appear to be a matter of keeping one's eyes open, perseverance and luck.

Glad Mr L***y T** got his first vaccine. I had him down as flying out to Dubai for a bit of shopping and vexing on the side. 

As to other threads on here 2 of my 3 Thai kids were born in BKK Hospital Korat and it is really  really good but as of yet no vaccines for family at any price.

So Mr Pumpuy stay indoors with the lovely Mrs and stay safe young man.

As BM Jambo says need a bit of luck .... or did he say need a f**k ???

• Thumbs Up 1

Bangkok Pattaya have told me that I may be able to get a Moderna jab in October - we'll see. A friend in Ban Chang got the Chinese jab a couple of days ago, His 2nd jab will be Astra Zeneca. He did have to produce a Thai ID card to get the jab. I have one but I'm not keen on the Chinese vaccine due to health issues.

Alan

21 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Glad Mr L***y T** got his first vaccine. I had him down as flying out to Dubai for a bit of shopping and vexing on the side. 

As to other threads on here 2 of my 3 Thai kids were born in BKK Hospital Korat and it is really  really good but as of yet no vaccines for family at any price.

So Mr Pumpuy stay indoors with the lovely Mrs and stay safe young man.

As BM Jambo says need a bit of luck .... or did he say need a f**k ???

I believe he gave serious consideration to a couple of months vaccination tourism to the good'ol  U S of A.

I am reliably informed that some aging Jeeeerman's organized a trip by submarine to beat the blockade and are transporting wealthy Thai's and expats to Argentina where they are transported on the "underground railway" to Miami Beach for 8 weeks of sea, sand, beach volleyball and two vaccinations.

Well, so they tell me.

Another 3 weeks and I get my second dose of AZ on the good'ol NHS 🤣.

• Thumbs Up 1