I think I am gona sell

code_slayer_bkk

Good luck with whatever you decide. I think your age and motivation will be a big decider in your decision not to mention the younger you are the more dosh you will need to maintain your current lifestyle through to your demise. I know when i was offered the chance to retire at 50 yo with a wheelbarrow full of pension they did'nt have to ask twice lol. I then took a couple of years off doing things i wanted to do and then went to work adhoc for a mate of mine looking after kids with mental health problems autistic/adhd and the like.

Whatever you decide make sure its right for you and family.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Good luck with whatever you decide. I think your age and motivation will be a big decider in your decision not to mention the younger you are the more dosh you will need to maintain your current lifestyle through to your demise. I know when i was offered the chance to retire at 50 yo with a wheelbarrow full of pension they did'nt have to ask twice lol. I then took a couple of years off doing things i wanted to do and then went to work adhoc for a mate of mine looking after kids with mental health problems autistic/adhd and the like.

Whatever you decide make sure its right for you and family.

Yes, for sure!

I have gotten . to my amazement out of the "never trust anyone" syndrome . I trust Beach gal , and love Ziggy with everything inside of me . Beach gal has changed me . a pretty simple statement but true . I was a tough Brooklyn boy . never any fear about anything or anyone . aimless in life . now I got something I want .

My "demise" have never been about "dosh" . that has never been a problem .  . my problem has been adventure and excitement . and plus, I never gave a shit . f**k it . bring it on

6 Years locked up by the Feds changed me a little . f**k you . I thought . f**k you . it was me who put myself in that situation . so no one to blame but myself . but, then I got a small balance in my life with writing software . that has literally changed my life . putting all of my pent up energy into that

Things have worked out . I will always make the correct decision for my family . for sure!  I made my own luck!

Seeing this super beautiful gal siting on the beach in Koi Lipe with her 2 sisters and brother . I could not resist . I had to make a move . that move changed my life . plus, she is fearless, with a patient and understanding heart  . my type of gal . lol . lol . because I still f**k up . nevermind

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

My "demise" have never been about "dosh" . that has never been a problem .  . my problem has been adventure and excitement . and plus, I never gave a shit . f**k it . bring it on

But you need to be practical Code, "adventure and excitement" won't pay the bills and have you considered what happens when and if the dosh runs out after you're gone, you could still have a youngish family that need financial support not to mention an ageing wife/widow. I know of a guy who was living here who sold a very successful business in Europe 20 years ago for what was then "big money", guess what happened...........

He ran outta dosh and had to return to Europe to earn again and thats where he currently is and he's not happy, but at least he got his Thai wife with him. 

Congratulations Code. I've always maintained if you enjoy your work and produce the best possible product, the bottom line will take care of itself and people will beat a path to your door. Seems like you're living and working by the same philosophy.

The beauty of our line of work is there are no shortage of opportunities to apply our skillset for coming up with solutions. Just have to keep your eyes open to spot the opportunities which by your comment "there is a shit load of new software solutions to develop" tells me you are.

Also sounds like you have a great balance between work and life. Keep living the dream.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I got an offer to sell my software ( trademarks and all ) business to Panasonic ... They bought from me MEMS ( Medical Equipment Management System ) about 4 years ago which was another pretty comprehensive software app

This time I am selling them .  A Vaccination Analysis and Diabetes Protocol Management System developed in a huge data warehouse and an elegant  UI  ( User Interface ) . which is deployed in 28 hospitals here in Thailand 

The only thing left to do is guarantee the people that work for me a 5 year employment contract with guaranteed salaries .. which I am sure that they will do

I gotta figure out what to do next . because I am a class A hyper type of person . I don't have something to do . I can get into serious trouble . and I don't need trouble with Beach gal and Ziggy ( with another one on the way ) . it has never been about money with me . it is the challenge that I need . even though there is some serious money involved .

I gotta . cowboy up quick . I think I will stay in the hospital arena , there is a shit load of new software solutions to develop . plus, I have a shit load of contacts

Or maybe . I just try to stay home . ride my Harley . give Beach gal and Ziggy all of my energy . which could be an overdose for the both of them . LOL . LOL . LOL

I gotta think about what is next .

Good stuff, well done. 

How about a quick X virus mutation analysis management system leveraging big data and connecting hospitals all across Asia starting with Thailand and China? 

7 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I got an offer to sell my software ( trademarks and all ) business to Panasonic ... They bought from me MEMS ( Medical Equipment Management System ) about 4 years ago which was another pretty comprehensive software app

This time I am selling them .  A Vaccination Analysis and Diabetes Protocol Management System developed in a huge data warehouse and an elegant  UI  ( User Interface ) . which is deployed in 28 hospitals here in Thailand 

The only thing left to do is guarantee the people that work for me a 5 year employment contract with guaranteed salaries .. which I am sure that they will do

I gotta figure out what to do next . because I am a class A hyper type of person . I don't have something to do . I can get into serious trouble . and I don't need trouble with Beach gal and Ziggy ( with another one on the way ) . it has never been about money with me . it is the challenge that I need . even though there is some serious money involved .

I gotta . cowboy up quick . I think I will stay in the hospital arena , there is a shit load of new software solutions to develop . plus, I have a shit load of contacts

Or maybe . I just try to stay home . ride my Harley . give Beach gal and Ziggy all of my energy . which could be an overdose for the both of them . LOL . LOL . LOL

Great positivity. Nice to give and be rewarded for your hard work.

Really pleased to hear some good news in amongst all the daily shite we see and read. Sure you'll pick up something new to work on and develop - best of luck in the next chapter of your life 

If you have got something to sell in the middle of this pandemic and you are of an age that has seen more work years behind you than ahead of you then I would not miss the opportunity before you.

Back in 1989/90 I was an executor for a guy who could not read or write.  He had acquired land years before in Folkestone UK, his land wasn't massive but it was in a prime location at the top of the walk up from the harbour through the old lanes. It was designated commercial development land.

He and I were living in Puerta Galera, Sabang beach in the Philippines.  His life, my life (at that time) was about the beach.  We lived a good life but far from the real world.

One day he received a letter from Barclays Unicorn (the unit trust branch of Barclays Bank) which offered him £500,000 deposit held by my friend for 6 months with the option to buy the land at an additional cost of £2 million.  If they did not go ahead with the sale for £2.5 m he would keep the £500,000 deposit.

I remember exactly where I was when I read this letter to him (it was that big a shock for me) and I also remember his reply.  He thought the offer too low.  I told him that he was 62, not getting any younger and this was a great deal.  He ignored me and instructed me to tell Barclays Unicorn that the land was not for sale at that price.  Barclays Unicorn did not return on another offer.

He wasn't skint but that money would have set him up for any lifestyle imaginable and been good for the future of him, his wife and child.  He was adamant that the land was worth more.

Years later after the land price u-turn in the early 90's and the financial crisis of the 2000s I am aware that he did eventually find a buyer for his land.  He was in his 70's when he sold his land for £400,000.  Still a good total but a far cry from the £2.5m he could have sold for when he was 62 with many good years still ahead of him even if a need to slow down.  The guy is now in his 80s and the last I heard was that he back in the UK after getting cancer.

Just a view but I would not want to think of a missed opportunity for you.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Many of us have seen guys retire with a pocket full of money that seemed like a lot of money at the time. Unfortunately that money has a way of evaporating. What you really need to do is to use that big money  one way or another, to set up a guaranteed lifetime income. We have no idea of how long we are going to live. Being old and poor here in Thailand is not the way to enjoy your later years. That said, you don't need to be wealthy but having a reasonable monthly income plus a decent nest egg will allow you to sleep well.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gary said:

Many of us have seen guys retire with a pocket full of money that seemed like a lot of money at the time. Unfortunately that money has a way of evaporating. What you really need to do is to use that big money  one way or another, to set up a guaranteed lifetime income. We have no idea of how long we are going to live. Being old and poor here in Thailand is not the way to enjoy your later years. That said, you don't need to be wealthy but having a reasonable monthly income plus a decent nest egg will allow you to sleep well.

I think this is one of my favourite movie scenes, ever. Perfect explanation of what to do should you come into a large lump sum

Edited by Golfingboy

Great topic for a thread.

I won't go into much detail but I have been thinking about doing some kind of work for a long time now. I retired in 2010, long story what has transpired since then. But... I am close to accomplishing my initial primary retirement goal (now that family comittments and responsibilitites have been fullfilled). That being getting relocated over here and semi-settled. Covid threw another monkey wrench in that whole process, but I've worked through the worst of that. 

I'm comfortable with my income, but a little more would not hurt. But, as some others have said, it's not as much about the money as having something interesting to do. And something that presents some challange and a bit of structure. I like the idea of having something where I can be a little creative, but not stress me out big time. Maybe 20-30 hours a week. 

Maybe in another couple months I will get more serious about looking for something. I haven't really applied myself much to looking, but now that I'm finally getting many of the living arrangements, etc. out of the way I can get more serious. 

I also like music a ton, so I may start getting into learning some new instruments. Maybe even get good with something. heck, who knows ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Esco said:

Good stuff, well done. 

How about a quick X virus mutation analysis management system leveraging big data and connecting hospitals all across Asia starting with Thailand and China? 

You know .  I thought about the first stage of such a solution . the problem is that there is no vaccinations here yet that are defined in the private hospitals . China data would be very hard to get though .

Plus, there needs to be an "attitude" change here about sharing data between hospital data between disparate and independent hospital groups

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Gary said:

I totally understand . plus, I have seen what you describe  .. sad . no way I will ever let that happen .

Congrats.  Probably should write up a list of things you like doing and Bucket list items and work to complete those.  Also, if you like Photography, maybe a youtube channel about that and maybe set-up a casual 2x weekly photo class - one inside studio class and one outside 

Best of luck 2 U !!!

When I first retired, my friends told me that I would be bored to death with noting to do. They were totally wrong. Maybe living in an apartment or condo full time would be boring. Living upcountry out in the boonies with my wife having several farms, I have plenty to do, IF I feel like doing anything.  I have made being lazy an art and simply can't imagine having to do any regular sort of work. It took me several years t get over the habit of getting out of bed at 6:00 AM. Sometimes I still have to force myself to stay in bed until 8:00 AM.

I do wish this virus disaster would go away. I do get cabin fever and that is boring. Even at that, I would never consider trying to find any sort of job or activity that would require me to have any sort of must do schedule. Why do something today if I can put it off until tomorrow? I am thankful that I have very good fiber Internet.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2021 at 4:58 AM, code_slayer_bkk said:

Look after your troops and get it sold.

Move on to pastures new!

Just think how long it would be to challenge yaself to catch a fish out of the sea?

Now that could be a full time job for ya! :default_fun:

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 7:40 PM, Esco said:

Good stuff, well done. 

On 1/27/2021 at 6:00 AM, code_slayer_bkk said:

You know .  I thought about the first stage of such a solution . the problem is that there is no vaccinations here yet that are defined in the private hospitals . China data would be very hard to get though .

Plus, there needs to be an "attitude" change here about sharing data between hospital data between disparate and independent hospital groups

@Esco........One of my neighbors growing up, Sheldon Dorenfest was a true pioneer of digitalizing, creating software solutions and creating data banks for the US Hospital System starting in 1976. He "cashed out" in 2003 and than funded the HIMSS foundation when he was in early 60's.......got bored and was heavily courted by Chinese Govt to digitalize their health system and in 2004 moved (well started spending 50% of his time there) to Shanghai and formed the Dorenfest China Healthcare Group. An amazing guy. Last time I saw him was in 2017 and we had dinner together in Bangkok. Never seen anybody so vibrant and energetic in their 80's....now what the group has done since than, I dunno, but I know in 2017 the Chinese govt had basically given him access to every hospital record in China....at same time I had a mate in AI medical software solutions who was working on a app and wearable device that would predict diabetic needs prior to the event. Guy foamed at the idea that Sheldon might be able to connect him to all China data for diabetics...

http://www.dorenfest.com/ASP/chinadefault.asp

https://foundation.himss.org/Dorenfest

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Shaksey said:

Due dilligence. x1000. Guy i work with now sold his software business to MS and the fact he's still working 9-5 tells you enough to know to be a bit wary.

Is he working because he wants to, or because he has to?

I still code several hours a day, mostly for no pay as I really enjoy the work. I look on it as exercise for the brain. Of course I undo all the good that comes of it from drinking too much. :default_drink:

4 hours ago, STARGAZER said:

@Esco........One of my neighbors growing up, Sheldon Dorenfest was a true pioneer of digitalizing, creating software solutions and creating data banks for the US Hospital System starting in 1976. He "cashed out" in 2003 and than funded the HIMSS foundation when he was in early 60's.......got bored and was heavily courted by Chinese Govt to digitalize their health system and in 2004 moved (well started spending 50% of his time there) to Shanghai and formed the Dorenfest China Healthcare Group. An amazing guy. Last time I saw him was in 2017 and we had dinner together in Bangkok. Never seen anybody so vibrant and energetic in their 80's....now what the group has done since than, I dunno, but I know in 2017 the Chinese govt had basically given him access to every hospital record in China....at same time I had a mate in AI medical software solutions who was working on a app and wearable device that would predict diabetic needs prior to the event. Guy foamed at the idea that Sheldon might be able to connect him to all China data for diabetics...

http://www.dorenfest.com/ASP/chinadefault.asp

https://foundation.himss.org/Dorenfest

I also worked in China for many years as well ... at that time it was with banking and stock apps .... then to HKK .. HSBC ... we wrote a shitload of software for them .. changed their entire infrastructure ...

I am certain Panasonic bought my apps because they communicate to phones and watches as well a huge data warehouse ... the watch app was a little weak IMHO .. but, it gives them a good - solid foundation to enhance ...

Also, I have nothing but respect for your friend ... it is never about baht .. it is about the challenge ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Is he working because he wants to, or because he has to?

I still code several hours a day, mostly for no pay as I really enjoy the work. I look on it as exercise for the brain. Of course I undo all the good that comes of it from drinking too much. :default_drink:

Bro you make me laugh .. I drink a shit load of beer and smoke weed just about every day when I am in the South at home ....

I agree .. but, in my mind no work is for free .. you gotta get paid .. especially when you dedicate yourself to it ..

I get pretty wild when I am back home in BKK .. wild women .. who fucking knows what I will get up to ... but, doing something worth while balances my life ( certainly Beach gal and Ziggy do ) .. but, banging good code has saved my life ...

Please give this a look .. you can afford a couple of minutes ..

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

3 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Bro you make me laugh .. I drink a shit load of beer and smoke weed just about every day when I am in the South at home ....

I agree .. but, in my mind no work is for free .. you gotta get paid .. especially when you dedicate yourself to it ..

I should clarify, I wouldn't work for free for a commercial enterprise. The coding I'm doing for free is for a drinking club with a running problem, i.e. the Hash House Harriers.