CHANGES AND NO CHANGES TO THE FORUM...IMPORTANT PLS READ

tommy dee

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

As long as they don't let the pissed Frog in the Bali jungle back on the forum then onwards and upwards.

At the risk of stirring up the many jealous haters I joined this forum to keep in touch with former friends and sparing partners from Secrets which this forum generally enabled me to do except many fell by the wayside which did not really surprise me. I am sorry but this forum has proved to be a pale vanilla version in comparison with Secrets forum in its prime.

Ain't that right Soi 7? 🤣

Actually... why not let some back who have been removed...after all it is under new management and I am sure if they play up again ...they will be removed. As said...new management... fresh start..so why not let them post again.

When this forum first started... it was a breath of fresh air...the only reason some thought it as a vanilla version in comparison to Secrets were the ones who tried to turn it into a new proxy Secrets forum and when they were pulled into line... a few spat the dummy and went.. and really they were not missed.

Secrets was a good forum.... no denying that.... but it reached it's use by date and most moved on.

cheers   

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, roobob said:

Actually... why not let some back who have been removed...after all it is under new management and I am sure if they play up again ...they will be removed. As said...new management... fresh start..so why not let them post again.

When this forum first started... it was a breath of fresh air...the only reason some thought it as a vanilla version in comparison to Secrets were the ones who tried to turn it into a new proxy Secrets forum and when they were pulled into line... a few spat the dummy and went.. and really they were not missed.

Secrets was a good forum.... no denying that.... but it reached it's use by date and most moved on.

cheers   

To be clear, it’s under new ownership. The “management” hasn’t changed and is currently the same Mod team although we haven’t had 100% confirmation all are staying.

Bryan and I do not get involved in Moderation decisions, although we may be party to discussion on them so the particular issue you raise, at this moment in time, remains with the existing 4 Mods.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Whitespider said:

To be clear, it’s under new ownership. The “management” hasn’t changed and is currently the same Mod team although we haven’t had 100% confirmation all are staying.

Bryan and I do not get involved in Moderation decisions, although we may be party to discussion on them so the particular issue you raise, at this moment in time, remains with the existing 4 Mods.

Understand that mate...I left ownership out as I thought management would cover it. Forgive me I am  a mere colonial... strine is my first language not english.... 555... but Tommy seems to know where I am coming from.

cheers

• Great Info 1

1 minute ago, Horizondave said:

Personally don't see it that way; there may be new management but the ethos of the forum hasn't changed and the rules haven't been tweaked to offer lifelines to those banned or removed (some of their own volition) so let them remain in the shadows.

Hopefully with new management may come more opportunities to increase membership which will benefit the forum going forward. No need to give those on the naughty step a way back in. 

Let's see how it goes.

Fair enough.... but as has been said by those now in charge...they are happy to let things remain as is... but are open to change.

cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope you keep Tapatalk access.   It makes it easier to keep track of what's going on than using a web browser on my phone.  

When Addicts removed Tapatalk access the end result was that I hardly ever look at Addicts any longer unless I find myself on a desktop machine (like now).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johnpat said:

I hope you keep Tapatalk access.   It makes it easier to keep track of what's going on than using a web browser on my phone.  

When Addicts removed Tapatalk access the end result was that I hardly ever look at Addicts any longer unless I find myself on a desktop machine (like now).

We’ve been through this so many times bud. We will put Tapatalk back on Addicts when they fix it. Last update was July 2020. Last email from them was January in which they say “we are working on it”. 

• Great Info 1

1 minute ago, Whitespider said:

We’ve been through this so many times bud. We will put Tapatalk back on Addicts when they fix it. Last update was July 2020. Last email from them was January in which they say “we are working on it”. 

ok..  Tapatalk still works fine for me.   I didn't know it was broken for some.

2 minutes ago, johnpat said:

Tapatalk is not broken on Addicts. It works fine on Addicts IF we turn it on.

But it fucks up so many other things it wasn’t worth it so it’s turned off there until they make it compatible. They are aware of the problems, it affects thousands of forums, they are just incredibly slow fixing it.

• Great Info 2

4 minutes ago, johnpat said:

Depends what version of Invision u are using to access forums - PA updated some months ago and Tapatalk wont work with it and it pisses me off as I like tapa on my phone - much easier than the browser versions. We can but wait

1 hour ago, roobob said:

cheers   

Agreed, this forum was never set up to be anything like Secrets, indeed Secrets was still going with no ending muted when here was set up. The vast majority who started here came from a different forum, Secrets was certainly not even a consideration in the thoughts when this forum was set up. 

It's tedious as f**k that some still can't quite grasp that. 

If Secrets was so great, it would still be going in some shape or form.

It's not, get over it ffs!

This isn't Kansas, Secrets or anywhere else, this is Thailand 24/7.

All Thailand centric forum's will have people loosing interest due to many not being able to get there, i include myself in that, hence taking breaks from posting now and again. Though i think once tourists are allowed back, the Thai content will obviously take off again, as will people's interest. 

Edited by Krapow
*Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Krapow said:

If Secrets was so great, it would still be going in some shape or form.

Secrets died because ppl realised they were being conned by a twat - nothing has changed yet he is still in business

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Whitespider said:

That’s now fixed, or we hope it is, but it goes some way to explaining why it’s been a bit quiet. We won’t know for sure until we can turn 3rd party apps back on after the transfer. For now they are all turned off.

There are two main reasons for it (the forum) being quiet.

The first one is that nobody has been able to travel to Thailand for some considerable time and it is highly unlikely that will change this year. Even if it does open up to some degree it is not going to be those visitors that traditionally frequent "OUR" entertainment venues.  So interest has declined because basically what do we have to talk about other than noting which venues closed yesterday? Endless photographs of the outside of empty bars are only adding to the misery because it only makes those desperate to get back wonder what are they eventually going to return to in Pattaya?

The other main reason is that the days of forums to keep in touch is in terminal decline apart from us few diehards who never took to Facebook and the like. In my opinion relaunching this forum in a somewhat different manner is just a dead cat bounce. The only surprise is that the owners must be congratulated for managing to actually sell it for real money. 🤗

22 minutes ago, Jambo said:

There are two main reasons for it (the forum) being quiet.

The first one is that nobody has been able to travel to Thailand for some considerable time and it is highly unlikely that will change this year. Even if it does open up to some degree it is not going to be those visitors that traditionally frequent "OUR" entertainment venues.  So interest has declined because basically what do we have to talk about other than noting which venues closed yesterday? Endless photographs of the outside of empty bars are only adding to the misery because it only makes those desperate to get back wonder what are they eventually going to return to in Pattaya?

The other main reason is that the days of forums to keep in touch is in terminal decline apart from us few diehards who never took to Facebook and the like. In my opinion relaunching this forum in a somewhat different manner is just a dead cat bounce. The only surprise is that the owners must be congratulated for managing to actually sell it for real money. 🤗

I would agree with the first part certainly. 

the 2nd point you would be surprised I think. People are often saying Addicts has “declined” but the reality is it hasn’t. It hit its “peak” in July 2018 with 7.4 million page views that month alone. That remained fairly constant until March 2020 and yes it is down since then.

There’s a lot of people “returning” to forums in the last few months as Facebook in particular clamps down more and more. the “anonymity” factor is also quite key.

PA new registrations are approx 30 per day. Not the 100+ of the early days but still worthwhile.

One key fact here is that “guests” make up the vast majority of users. Posts and Members are just a small part of the big picture. Even this forum has more “guests” online at any time than members. See screenshot of “right now”.

Lastly, I repeat, we are NOT looking to “relaunch in a different manner”. We like it how it is, which is why we took it on.

13988B94-903B-4182-9942-E2DBD8C9054D.png

I am really not bothered with the change as long as we are not inundated with piles of advertising pop-ups and such - and I do agree that it is hard to keep good content flowing when most of us are stuck in our corners of farangland....but all we can do is hope for the future and keep the interest going in the meantime. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Whitespider said:

I would agree with the first part certainly. 

the 2nd point you would be surprised I think. People are often saying Addicts has “declined” but the reality is it hasn’t. It hit its “peak” in July 2018 with 7.4 million page views that month alone. That remained fairly constant until March 2020 and yes it is down since then.

There’s a lot of people “returning” to forums in the last few months as Facebook in particular clamps down more and more. the “anonymity” factor is also quite key.

PA new registrations are approx 30 per day. Not the 100+ of the early days but still worthwhile.

One key fact here is that “guests” make up the vast majority of users. Posts and Members are just a small part of the big picture. Even this forum has more “guests” online at any time than members. See screenshot of “right now”.

Lastly, I repeat, we are NOT looking to “relaunch in a different manner”. We like it how it is, which is why we took it on.

13988B94-903B-4182-9942-E2DBD8C9054D.png

I wouldn't know if Addicts has declined because I never liked it and have not posted on it for years. I think I only joined originally to go "Balloon chasing" free food and beer at TQ2. 🤣

Non-posting guests contribute nothing to the quality of a forum now do they?

1 minute ago, maipenrai said:

I am really not bothered with the change as long as we are not inundated with piles of advertising pop-ups and such - and I do agree that it is hard to keep good content flowing when most of us are stuck in our corners of farangland....but all we can do is hope for the future and keep the interest going in the meantime. 

This forum has  adverts. They are currently invisible but they are there. I make no excuses for the fact we will need to cover costs in some way. $350 a month May not be a fortune but it has to be covered somehow.

Worth remembering you can easily turn ads and pop ups off (we don’t use pop ups btw)! You have control over what you see, we can’t force it. Think about it this way, from an advertisers perspective - 

If you were an advertiser what would you prefer?

1. your advert showing to the exact same 100 members day in day out?

2. Your advert showing to 100 NEW “guests” every day.

Its not rocket science, number 2 is the obvious answer. While we would always put members first, it’s those guests that have the value. So if members choose to turn ads off that is both understandable AND what we would actually expect anyway.

31 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I wouldn't know if Addicts has declined because I never liked it and have not posted on it for years. I think I only joined originally to go "Balloon chasing" free food and beer at TQ2. 🤣

Non-posting guests contribute nothing to the quality of a forum now do they?

No, I agree, but they make up 99% of the “value” and why the forum had a sale value too. See my previous post in explanation.