Koh Samui

Horizondave

3 hours ago, Esco said:

The Ark Bar is located in the heart of Chaweng so not necessarily close to our hotel but rest assured we'll pay a visit or two as Phil messaged me the other day saying he'll be around as well same time as us and staying next to Ark Bar. 

Which Phil is that?

• 9 months later...
8 minutes ago, Krapow said:

So @Horizondave what was your verdict on Samui with your daughter?

Seriously considering it, due to scuba diving opportunities.

And @Esco, what about your views re for a child.  Remember taking the piss outta my January trip report with children's softplay and water parks ….hmmmmm :default_biggrin:

Was discussing this topic the mrs last night actually. 

I think Samui is great for kids as there's lots to do and see all across the island plus great beaches of course so plenty of daytime leisure options. 

If you're staying in Chaweng or Lamai there's limited traffic so easy and safe to get around. 

Overall a very child friendly place imo. 

I recommend flying there with Bangkok Airways for convenience as the trip with Air Asia may be a bit cumbersome with a baby. 

We'll either go back to Samui next trip or Pattaya but then we'll take her mom along to mind the baby when we go out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Esco said:

Was discussing this topic the mrs last night actually. 

I think Samui is great for kids as there's lots to do and see all across the island plus great beaches of course so plenty of daytime leisure options. 

If you're staying in Chaweng or Lamai there's limited traffic so easy and safe to get around. 

Overall a very child friendly place imo. 

I recommend flying there with Bangkok Airways for convenience as the trip with Air Asia may be a bit cumbersome with a baby. 

We'll either go back to Samui next trip or Pattaya but then we'll take her mom along to mind the baby when we go out. 

Yea, after doing a wee bit of reading, was veering towards Lamai, as slightly more quiet, but not too quiet?  Bars, nightlife etc aren't high on our priority list anywhere, child or not.

Was looking at where you stayed on this thread, Crystal Bay. But prefer somewhere within walking distance of everything as much as possible, reading 5 mins by car/bike to Lamai, 20 in Chaweng. I wouldn't ever take the child on a bike. Can do whatever form of local taxi, but prefer walking distance as much as poss. 

Also read on the thread expensive flights, can do Air Asia/ferry, but as you say, more cumbersome. Have to weight it up, probably got with straight flight if not robbery. 

Diving is expensive, 5000 per day, as you have to go by the dive boat to around Koh Tao mostly. Much cheaper on Koh Tao, but not sure i'd like to stay there with the family, much more to do on Samui, never mind the 'other stuff'. 

Looks like it's a goer, but the details of it now ...

3 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Yea, after doing a wee bit of reading, was veering towards Lamai, as slightly more quiet, but not too quiet?  Bars, nightlife etc aren't high on our priority list anywhere, child or not.

Was looking at where you stayed on this thread, Crystal Bay. But prefer somewhere within walking distance of everything as much as possible, reading 5 mins by car/bike to Lamai, 20 in Chaweng. I wouldn't ever take the child on a bike. Can do whatever form of local taxi, but prefer walking distance as much as poss. 

Also read on the thread expensive flights, can do Air Asia/ferry, but as you say, more cumbersome. Have to weight it up, probably got with straight flight if not robbery. 

Diving is expensive, 5000 per day, as you have to go by the dive boat to around Koh Tao mostly. Much cheaper on Koh Tao, but not sure i'd like to stay there with the family, much more to do on Samui, never mind the 'other stuff'. 

If you don't want to get on a bike then I'd recommend staying in Chaweng instead of Lamai just because it's bigger and provides more options in terms of restaurants etc. 

A bike is a rather safe option in Samui though. 

Note that taxis in Samui are relatively expensive compared to Bkk and Pattaya. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

Much prefer Lamai , nicer beach than chaweng imho , Songtheows are cheap to visit some of the neighbouring beach's like Coral Cove 

loads of restaurants and family friendly nightlife options 

stayed at all three of these 

http://weekenderresort.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI79eqm7GR4wIVVojVCh0mKwC4EAAYAiAAEgLvTfD_BwE

https://lamai-perfect-resort.hotelinsamui.com/en/

https://holiday-park-lamai-beach.hotelinsamui.com/en/

• Great Info 2

7 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Much prefer Lamai , nicer beach than chaweng imho , Songtheows are cheap to visit some of the neighbouring beach's like Coral Cove 

loads of restaurants and family friendly nightlife options 

stayed at all three of these 

http://weekenderresort.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI79eqm7GR4wIVVojVCh0mKwC4EAAYAiAAEgLvTfD_BwE

https://lamai-perfect-resort.hotelinsamui.com/en/

https://holiday-park-lamai-beach.hotelinsamui.com/en/

How'd you get there, fly direct?

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Got to say I agree with everything that Mike says, I found it a great place for my family and Kataleya had a great time, plenty of places to go with kids around the island. Lamai is still a great place for families and smaller than Chaweng when walking around at night although to get to Chaweng (if you want to go there) would be best served by taxi but probably about 500 baht to get there, think we paid and between 300 and 400 from Crystal Bay.

As much as I took the cheaper option by flying Air Asia from DMK to Nakhon Si Thamarat, then bus and ferry I would fly direct from Bangkok to Koh Samui next time.  3 of you will add to the price but if out of season you may get some deals. Then again the Air Asia flight package was well organised and we had no problems.

Loved Chaweng, so much to do and great atmosphere without being oppressive. Some great restaurants and a lovely bay.  Only really saw Lamai at night which was fine for us, easy to negotiate the streets and some great entertainment for families and the girly bars are not in your face at all.

Would love to go back but may stay Chaweng next time although I would do my homework and look at Lamai hotels.  Chaweng is better placed for the airport and some great attractions in the north of the island.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Got to say I agree with everything that Mike says, I found it a great place for my family and Kataleya had a great time, plenty of places to go with kids around the island. Lamai is still a great place for families and smaller than Chaweng when walking around at night although to get to Chaweng (if you want to go there) would be best served by taxi but probably about 500 baht to get there, think we paid and between 300 and 400 from Crystal Bay.

As much as I took the cheaper option by flying Air Asia from DMK to Nakhon Si Thamarat, then bus and ferry I would fly direct from Bangkok to Koh Samui next time.  3 of you will add to the price but if out of season you may get some deals. Then again the Air Asia flight package was well organised and we had no problems.

Loved Chaweng, so much to do and great atmosphere without being oppressive. Some great restaurants and a lovely bay.  Only really saw Lamai at night which was fine for us, easy to negotiate the streets and some great entertainment for families and the girly bars are not in your face at all.

Would love to go back but may stay Chaweng next time although I would do my homework and look at Lamai hotels.  Chaweng is better placed for the airport and some great attractions in the north of the island.

It'll either be this January or next June. So yea, one high season one low. Just been checking weather, June actually looks better, less chance of rain, if a tad warmer. 

Edited by Krapow

Just now, Krapow said:

It'll either be this January or next June. So yea, one low high season one low. Just been checking weather, June actually looks better, less chance of rain, if a tad warmer. 

November through January is the rainy season in Koh Samui if I remember rightly.  It rained everyday when I was there in December.

Just now, Horizondave said:

November through January is the rainy season in Koh Samui if I remember rightly.  It rained everyday when I was there in December.

Yep, June ought to be better weather. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Yea, for diving June looks much the better. Might hold off until then, go somewhere else this coming January which has decent diving then. 

Edit - Plus be cheaper in June, including flights ….

Edited by Krapow
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 5:00 PM, Esco said:

A bike is a rather safe option in Samui though. 

😵

Death rate of motobike accidents in Samui is 3 times higher per capita than in the rest of Thailand. Everyday there are 1-2 people dying on a bike in Samui.

I lived there for 5 years and have seen a lot.