Koh Samui

Horizondave

I will be visiting Thailand in early December and would like to go to Koh Samui as I have never been there in all the time I stayed in Thailand.  I hear it is a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it but I want to have a look for myself.

My criteria is a family friendly hotel with kids facilities, a pool is essential and a beach close by. I would like to visit the bar scene for entertainment with family and would like some restaurants nearby. I don't know which beach is best but I only have heard of Chaweng or Lamai, others I am not aware of.  Hotel can be up to 3500 baht a night.

Appreciate any thoughts guys........

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I will be visiting Thailand in early December and would like to go to Koh Samui as I have never been there in all the time I stayed in Thailand.  I hear it is a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it but I want to have a look for myself.

My criteria is a family friendly hotel with kids facilities, a pool is essential and a beach close by. I would like to visit the bar scene for entertainment with family and would like some restaurants nearby. I don't know which beach is best but I only have heard of Chaweng or Lamai, others I am not aware of.  Hotel can be up to 3500 baht a night.

Appreciate any thoughts guys........

We'll be in Samui early December as well mate, from 7th until 22nd to be exact. 

We are staying at a nice resort in Crystal Bay which is a beautiful secluded beach between Chaweng and Lamai. 

Have a look here for details

http://www.booking.com/Share-PKFB1c

Will post some more of my views on Samui later as I'm in the pub watching the footy. 

Cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Esco said:

We'll be in Samui early December as well mate, from 7th until 22nd to be exact. 

We are staying at a nice resort in Crystal Bay which is a beautiful secluded beach between Chaweng and Lamai. 

Have a look here for details

http://www.booking.com/Share-PKFB1c

Will post some more of my views on Samui later as I'm in the pub watching the footy. 

Cheers

What type of room have you booked?

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

Never been to Samui. Would be interested to hear thoughts on it. Worth a butchers, expensive, good nightlife?

Not been since 05 but I spent six months there and rented a bungalow in Chewang..

The nightlife used to be good on Soi Green Mango and everyone was real friendly also Chewang has bars on the beach the best being Ark Bar back then (I think still) 

Lamai was good too and had a lot of girly bars.

Myself back then I preferred Chewang I was in my early 30s and loved the club feel of Chewang ..

Am thinking of visiting for a few days in April not sure yet...

The only problem with Samui is it pissed down a lot and when it floods it floods.

Prob been built up a lot in 14 years though by the time I get back.

If I do go I'm gonna drive from Phuket and get the ferry , six hour drive or so but it will be an adventure .

Edited by roomark
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, roomark said:

Not been since 05 but I spent six months there and rented a bungalow in Chewang..

The nightlife used to be good on Soi Green Mango and everyone was real friendly also Chewang has bars on the beach the best being Ark Bar back then (I think still) 

Myself back then I preferred Chewang I was in my early 30s and loved the club feel of Chewang ..

The only problem with Samui is it pissed down a lot and when it floods it floods.

If I do go I'm gonna drive from Phuket and get the ferry , six hour drive or so but it will be an adventure .

Cheers for that. 

Some of the beaches look nice and female company available. I would say it gets rammo during the high season.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Cheers for that. 

Some of the beaches look nice and female company available. I would say it gets rammo during the high season.

Rammo xD

Is that West Belfast speak for when the cousins are round and there's a queue for the outdoor toilet?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Just looked at the airfares, they are criminal...............

You can take a cheaper flight to Suratthani from DM then cross with the ferry mate. I booked BKK air mostly because we immediately fly on from Swampy to Samui. 

34 minutes ago, Esco said:

You can take a cheaper flight to Suratthani from DM then cross with the ferry mate. I booked BKK air mostly because we immediately fly on from Swampy to Samui. 

10 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Just looked at the airfares, they are criminal...............

If I remember correctly at least one of the cheap airlines does a package that includes transport to the ferry and ferry tickets. Possibly a dollar or two more expensive but less hassle. 

3 hours ago, Thinkingallowed said:

If I remember correctly at least one of the cheap airlines does a package that includes transport to the ferry and ferry tickets. Possibly a dollar or two more expensive but less hassle. 

AirAsia does indeed  

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Esco said:

AirAsia does indeed  

I have booked Bangkok Airways back from Koh Samui but haven't booked the arrival flight into the island yet.  May book Air Asia just to experience the journey and also as I may be staying near Don Muang the night before departure on 08 Dec,

21 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Never been to Samui. Would be interested to hear thoughts on it. Worth a butchers, expensive, good nightlife?

Right as promised my thoughts on Samui and how it compares to Pattaya where most of you degenerates hang out. 

1. It is very laidback and has a much more relaxed vibe than Pattaya and Phuket. 

2. Apart from the Chinese, Samui has mostly Western visitors. I dont recall many A-rabs or Indians. 

3. Price wise, Samui is comparable to Bangkok and a little cheaper than Phuket but dearer than Pattaya obviously. 

4. In terms of nightlife, Samui doesn't come close to Pattaya or Bangkok, but with Ark Bar, soi Green Mango and on good days soi Reggae I'd say Chaweng comes close to Bangla in Phuket. 

5. Samui has by far the nicest beaches of aforementioned places. Chaweng and Lamai are nice, but especially Lipa Noi area is beautiful and easily accessible by motorbike as Samui is easy to get around. 

6. Brasses. No need to carry sand to Chaweng or Lamai beach. 

Edited by Esco
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, roomark said:

Yes the main 'problem' with Samui is that it doesn't have a dry season, when it rains it typically poors and when the sun shines it can get hot as fuck. Island life I suppose. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Esco said:

Right as promised my thoughts on Samui and how it compares to Pattaya where most of you degenerates hang out. 

1. It is very laidback and has a much more relaxed vibe than Pattaya and Phuket. 

2. Apart from the Chinese, Samui has mostly Western visitors. I dont recall many A-rabs or Indians. 

3. Price wise, Samui is comparable to Bangkok and a little cheaper than Phuket but dearer than Pattaya obviously. 

4. In terms of nightlife, Samui doesn't come close to Pattaya or Bangkok, but with Ark Bar, soi Green Mango and on good days soi Reggae I'd say Chaweng comes close to Bangla in Phuket. 

5. Samui has by far the nicest beaches of aforementioned places. Chaweng and Lamai are nice, but especially Lipa Noi area is beautiful and easily accessible by motorbike as Samui is easy to get around. 

Great rundown there mate thanks for that.

1 hour ago, Esco said:

Thanks for that.

I have now booked my flight outbound from Don Muang on Air Asia, an inclusive transport option via Si Thamarat and the respective piers, all part of the deal which for 3 of us was about a third of the cost of the return leg on Bangkok Airways.

I will be with family so laid back is good for me, I will of course hop up on a few stools in bars but playing daddy will be high on the agenda during our stay. 

I have heard of the Ark bar and if it is near our hotel then I am sure I will make a visit.

7 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Thanks for that.

I have now booked my flight outbound from Don Muang on Air Asia, an inclusive transport option via Si Thamarat and the respective piers, all part of the deal which for 3 of us was about a third of the cost of the return leg on Bangkok Airways.

I will be with family so laid back is good for me, I will of course hop up on a few stools in bars but playing daddy will be high on the agenda during our stay. 

I have heard of the Ark bar and if it is near our hotel then I am sure I will make a visit.

The Ark Bar is located in the heart of Chaweng so not necessarily close to our hotel but rest assured we'll pay a visit or two as Phil messaged me the other day saying he'll be around as well same time as us and staying next to Ark Bar. 

Here's a good detailed map of Samui. 

koh-samui-island-map-1.jpg

On the east side you have 'bustling' Chaweng and right beneath it the more chilled out Lamai. Us hi-sos will be staying in between at the Yacht club. You can find the airport just above Chaweng. 

Bophut and Maenam on the north side of the island are also quite busy with several piers where ferries from the mainland come in I believe. You will also find the fishing village there which is a nice spot to go for lunch. The west and south are much quieter and house some luxury resorts and bars like Nikki Beach. 

As said, you can easily drive around the island but as the map shows you can also drive across over the steep hills in the heart of the island. It's really nice to drive around on a bike with many viewpoints high and low. 

• Great Info 2

33 minutes ago, Esco said:

Here's a good detailed map of Samui. 

koh-samui-island-map-1.jpg

On the east side you have 'bustling' Chaweng and right beneath it the more chilled out Lamai. Us hi-sos will be staying in between at the Yacht club. You can find the airport just above Chaweng. 

Bophut and Maenam on the north side of the island are also quite busy with several piers where ferries from the mainland come in I believe. You will also find the fishing village there which is a nice spot to go for lunch. The west and south are much quieter and house some luxury resorts and bars like Nikki Beach. 

As said, you can easily drive around the island but as the map shows you can also drive across over the steep hills in the heart of the island. It's really nice to drive around on a bike with many viewpoints high and low. 

Used to know the island like the back of my hand it's brilliant for a bike ride Bophut was always a decent place to go ..

The Big Buddha and easy access for Phanghan if you fancy the ferry too.

Koh Nangyuan is a nice place to visit too