SPACEX Starship build / progression

Chappo

Does anyone follow the SPACEX starship build and progression? - they launched and landed a 50m rocket today (SN10) - blew up a few mins later, but to be able to watch the iterative progression of what will be the next spaceship to take us to the moon, mars and beyond. 

I have watched from the start ::) - there are quite a few facebook groups dedicated to it, along with many youtube channels.

I had watched the video of the landing, but it finished before the explosion. Hadn't realized it had dismantled itself spectacularly until reading your post. Did notice it landed slightly off center on the pad, and looked like there was a bit of a tilt to the vehicle. Here's the video of the launch and landing.

And the video of its dismantling.

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

IMHO, the most impressive landing was the twin landing of the Flacon Heavy in 2018. What an impressive feat of engineering that was.

that was the most spectacular space moment ever

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
16 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Just turned it on and it looks like a Bitcoin scam ... 555

Saw that as well. What I think has happened is Musk is only using X and the SpaceX website to broadcast the launch. Some great video on their website stream which is what I've been watching. They're now at T + 15 minutes into the launch and Starship is now in orbit and coasting for the next 30 minutes.

https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=starship-flight-3

18 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

They've lost telemetry which means there's a good chance they lost Starship during reentry.

Burned up on reentry? Can't they see

Noticeable during reentry while they still had a video signal was a fair amount debris sluffing off. Video cued to start at that point. What's remarkable is the HD video of the ship beginning to hit atmosphere and the resulting plasma generated.

BTW, Scott Manley's channel is a very good channel for info having to do with space flights.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Great Info 1

9 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Over the Indian Ocean, so no eyes on the sky there.

I thought there were eyes everywhere, but i suppose oceans are an obvious exception.

You would think that protecting against the heat of reentry would be complex but known engineering. It's just friction isn't it, and the forces are huge generating the heat.

14 hours ago, Zambo said:

I thought there were eyes everywhere, but i suppose oceans are an obvious exception.

You would think that protecting against the heat of reentry would be complex but known engineering. It's just friction isn't it, and the forces are huge generating the heat.

I think the engineering challenge with Starship is controlling the huge mass of the ship so it's properly oriented for reentry. From Manley's video it looks like they never had full control of the ship as it started to hit the upper fringes of atmosphere. Still it's remarkable how far SpaceX has come over the last decade.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I think the engineering challenge with Starship is controlling the huge mass of the ship so it's properly oriented for reentry. From Manley's video it looks like they never had full control of the ship as it started to hit the upper fringes of atmosphere. Still it's remarkable how far SpaceX has come over the last decade.

Flight technology has advanced a huge amount in 60 years. It seems precision is probably more critical and less margin for error is built in now.

I read:

Rapid progress is needed for Starship, which is on the critical path for NASA's Artemis 3 mission. Artemis 3 aims to land the first humans on the moon since the end of the Apollo era in the early 1970s. Artemis 3 is currently scheduled for 2026, giving Starship less than two years to meet NASA vehicle qualifications for landing astronauts on the lunar surface.