Neath, Wales - A walk along the ridge behind my house

Nice photos, thanks. My cousin's family lived for almost half a century on top of Cimla Hill, which I think is more or less opposite where you were, I think you can see it in your first photo. The kids moved out a long time ago, her hubby sadly died of the Big C 3 or 4 years back, and it had a huge effect on her mentally so now she lives with her youngest son and his family down at Burry Port and I don't have any real reason to go back to Neath. I'm Godfather to the youngest lad and when he and his brother were kids I used to spend a lot of time down there with them, especially down the swimming pool. I've got a lot of fond memories of Neath. I love the waterfall country up the valley, and have personal reasons for saying that Melyncourt falls is my favourite anywhere.

• Like 1

Nice one, bet the airs fresh as up there. Some fantastic views . As Sherlock says, on a good and sunny day it would be even better. Nice to see some remnants of natural stone walls, which i admire due to the art of wall building and length of time they have been standing!

19 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Nice photos, thanks. My cousin's family lived for almost half a century on top of Cimla Hill, which I think is more or less opposite where you were, I think you can see it in your first photo. The kids moved out a long time ago, her hubby sadly died of the Big C 3 or 4 years back, and it had a huge effect on her mentally so now she lives with her youngest son and his family down at Burry Port and I don't have any real reason to go back to Neath. I'm Godfather to the youngest lad and when he and his brother were kids I used to spend a lot of time down there with them, especially down the swimming pool. I've got a lot of fond memories of Neath. I love the waterfall country up the valley, and have personal reasons for saying that Melyncourt falls is my favourite anywhere.

Used to walk the falls at Pontneddfechan but due to the lockdown I have had to walk nearer home recently.  Haven't done Melyncourt yet but hopefully will do in April.

I live between Bryncoch and Cadoxton on the west side of the river, Cimla is on the other side of the river just east of Neath.  I do like to go to Gnoll Country Park often which is nearby, great walking there also.  

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Used to walk the falls at Pontneddfechan but due to the lockdown I have had to walk nearer home recently.  Haven't done Melyncourt yet but hopefully will do in April.

I live between Bryncoch and Cadoxton on the west side of the river, Cimla is on the other side of the river just east of Neath.  I do like to go to Gnoll Country Park often which is nearby, great walking there also.  

My cousin lived not far from the school at the top end of Cimla, it was easy getting down to the Gnoll, the swimming pool and Neath town centre, but it was a bugger getting back up again unless you had wheels!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...