You Tube (Threads Merged)

Anwar Sadat

9 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Loads of videos of crashes and fires like this on the net, they are all CGI.  I always 'see less' of these videos on my Facebook. There are genuine Facebook groups to follow such as 'Aircraft Investigation/Mayday' which is an excellent group to view, it reports on all accidents even down to crop dusters etc. and has a very good following.

Thanks all. Dave, I don't do Video/simulation games and FB so very naive on that front. But during major aircraft accidents such as Malaysian Airlines disappearance have some pilot forums booked marked to get the real scoop. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Every so often people may ask, "Why Thailand ?", "Why you come here ?", "How long you stay here ?", etc. etc.

Of course it is a combination of things and varied reasons for each of us.

For me the seeds were planted at a very early age. Watching/reading the news almost every day after coming home from school. I reckon being influenced by the horrific images watching what unfolded and wrapped in disbelief, at times not being able to comprehend. None of it made any sense and in ways mystified me. 

The names of the people in S.E. Asia, the maps of the geography, etc. I suppose became somewhat embedded. When I first laid foot in '98 all of those past impressions became real time. Although rarely discussed or even mentioned those early memories over the years became somewhat foggy and faded, but never forgotten.

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

I reckon being influenced by the horrific images watching what unfolded and wrapped in disbelief, at times not being able to comprehend. None of it made any sense and in ways mystified me. 

The names of the people in S.E. Asia, the maps of the geography, etc. I suppose became somewhat embedded. When I first laid foot in '98 all of those past impressions became real time. Although rarely discussed or even mentioned those early memories over the years became somewhat foggy and faded, but never forgotten.

Yes. I know what you mean.

On my trips to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia I have visited places like Khe Sanh, My Lai, Choeung Ek, Da Nang, the Hue Citadel, the Ho Chi Minh Trail, Anlong Veng, Hanoi War Museum. I have seen areas permanently deforested by Agent Orange, carpet bomb craters, monuments to families killed, bone fragments in the ground, piles of skulls...

In Thailand you see it at the regional airports built by the US for B-52 carpet bombing missions.

Puts all that TV news watching as a kid in an entirely different perspective.

. . .

The Battle of Khe Sanh and Its Retellings

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/the-battle-of-khe-sanh-and-its-retellings/551315/

Edited by lazarus

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Yes. I know what you mean.

On my trips to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia I have visited places like Khe Sanh, My Lai, Choeung Ek, Da Nang, the Hue Citadel, the Ho Chi Minh Trail, Anlong Veng, Hanoi War Museum. I have seen areas permanently deforested by Agent Orange, carpet bomb craters, monuments to families killed, bone fragments in the ground, piles of skulls...

In Thailand you see it at the regional airports built by the US for B-52 carpet bombing missions.

Puts all that TV news watching as a kid in an entirely different perspective.

. . .

The Battle of Khe Sanh and Its Retellings

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/the-battle-of-khe-sanh-and-its-retellings/551315/

I have yet to find the courage that you have found to visit these places. I am not sure I could handle the emotions.

I have been to Utapo though a few years back. Driving into the airport along the "made in America" stretch was very difficult for me. Had to fight back tears in the taxi. I suppose the emotions were a combination of things (rage, sadness, shame and probably many other things).

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Glasseye said:

How can you watch that shit mate ?

Yes, even as a simulation it is nasty. I have a mate who watches this stuff all the time. I am not stupid, it happens, I know that, and I have seen my fair share of crashes but I am not going out of my way to watch these scenarios.

13 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Yes, even as a simulation it is nasty. I have a mate who watches this stuff all the time. I am not stupid, it happens, I know that, and I have seen my fair share of crashes but I am not going out of my way to watch these scenarios.

I usually don't open them, this time I wasn't thinking. Always fucks me up for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Now this.... I can watch all day.   :default_fun:

• Thumbs Up 1