Bringing complete topics from other forums.

roobob

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

Indeed, and thank you.

I asked for another example of what you are complaining about, and you supplied it. I'm now asking why it has taken you so long.

Leave him alone Baz, ya big bully!

I presume if it is not meant to be seen then it would be in an area whereby quoting it would be futile to those not authorised to see it.  I would think that to be able to see a link means it is in a lower area of authority. 

Most of what is on these pages and other forums that is at the lower levels are traceable via Google I presume so it is in the public domain.  If I am not able to see it then it probably will ask me to log in or become a member to access it.

Not really an issue as long as we give credit to where the information came from, I thought that was within the rules.  I don't care what people see when it is in a lower level but if wanting to restrict access I presume advanced etc would only allow those with the same level of access to see it, not every Tom, Dick, Meghan and Harry.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Painter said:

Thai visa obviously don't mind, as anyone can see it. Not even membership needed

Sure about that???? According to their rules they are against anything from their site being copied ... reproduced .....redistributed..etc..etc...in any way.

16 minutes ago, roobob said:

Sure about that???? According to their rules they are against anything from their site being copied ... reproduced .....redistributed..etc..etc...in any way.

How can their rules apply to a non member? I can see it, I am not a member, I can link it to any other platform for any other Tom, Dick or Bob to see.

If they dont want it reproduced, they need to make it members only, password protected, IMO.

19 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I presume if it is not meant to be seen then it would be in an area whereby quoting it would be futile to those not authorised to see it.  I would think that to be able to see a link means it is in a lower area of authority. 

Most of what is on these pages and other forums that is at the lower levels are traceable via Google I presume so it is in the public domain.  If I am not able to see it then it probably will ask me to log in or become a member to access it.

Not really an issue as long as we give credit to where the information came from, I thought that was within the rules.  I don't care what people see when it is in a lower level but if wanting to restrict access I presume advanced etc would only allow those with the same level of access to see it, not every Tom, Dick, Meghan and Harry.

Yup. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Painter said:

How can their rules apply to a non member? I can see it, I am not a member, I can link it to any other platform for any other Tom, Dick or Bob to see.

If they dont want it reproduced, they need to make it members only, password protected, IMO.

Yup. 

Sure you can...555

cheers

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/1/2021 at 11:40 PM, roobob said:

Why do some bring complete topics from other forums instead of starting the topic afresh on here???

As often happens on the Pattaya boards, this thread revolves around differences in terminology.  To me and several others members, the words "bring complete topics from other forums" would mean the poster had copied-and-pasted the original post and all replies to it from one forum to another.  I can't recall that ever happening on any board.

It seems roobob is using  "bring complete topics from other forums" to mean LINKS to topics on other boards.  That is something entirely different.  Forcebwithu made that point in an earlier post:

On 4/2/2021 at 4:10 AM, forcebwithu said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that as it's a link not a C&P of content from another forum.

I agree with forcebwithu's interpretation.

To answer roobob's question in the OP of this thread, I'd say members of Thailand-247 DON'T "bring complete topics from other forums."  It's a moot question, so it's not possible to explain "why."

but are the posts here....or on any other forum have a copy right on them??

Every photo that is taken and every text that is written is protected by copyright from the instant it is created.  However, linking to a work covered by copyright doesn't violate the copyright.  Sections of any work can also be reproduced without permission under what's called "fair use," assuming credit is given to the source.

but I think that bringing entire topics from another forum or taking whole topics from here to another forum is just a case of laziness and also a case bad manners..... and against forum etiquette. .

Once again, it's not a matter of "bringing entire topics from another forum."  Linking to, reposting, sharing, retweeting, etc., selected posts, threads and topics have long been part of accepted Internet practice.

Roobob listed a topic I started on Dec. 16, 2019 (Go Go Bars in the Avenue!!!) as one that had been brought from another forum.  That's not true.  I reposted a graphic and the text of an announcement from an unidentified closed Facebook group that had subsequently been reposted on Addicts.  I also included a later post on Addicts from an employee of the go go group in question because it offered some clarification.  I didn't bring the full text of the OP from anywhere; I started a new topic on Thailand-247 using information from outside sources. 

Tommy Dee was active in that thread and as board owner at the time, he didn't have any problems with my OP:

On 12/17/2019 at 12:48 AM, tommy dee said:

EP quoted him correctly.. but isnt responsible for its content, he was fairly sharing the latest speil

Roobob also participated in the thread, but didn't offer any objections at the time.  His first post gave confirmation of some info:

On 12/16/2019 at 8:45 PM, roobob said:

That is correct.... that is the group.

cheers

He then went on to take part in the debate on The Avenue project in several posts.  The thread ran for five pages, so clearly it was of interest to the board's members

@roobob Do you feel I shouldn't have started that topic?  How should I have done it differently so that in your opinion I wasn't bringing the topic from another forum?

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 5
  • Great Info 1

20 hours ago, roobob said:

Why do some bring complete topics from other forums instead of starting the topic afresh on here???

Importing the topic also brings posts from BMs from the other forum who posted in good faith that their input was for the forum that they are members of only ...not other forums. I would say the same as here...most BMs post here as this is where we want our posts to be...not anywhere else.

I understand that in this day and age once on the internet things will bee seen/moved around... but are the posts here....or on any other forum have a copy right on them??

I understand the posting of news reports..etc... to add more info to a post ..... but I think that bringing entire topics from another forum or taking whole topics from here to another forum is just a case of laziness and also a case bad manners..... and against forum etiquette. .

cheers

Jack N.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Once again, it's not a matter of "bringing entire topics from another forum."  Linking to, reposting, sharing, retweeting, etc., selected posts, threads and topics have long been part of accepted Internet practice.

If we were to abide by that wide definition of linking to content on another forum, the same would have to apply to linking to any other social media platform, and even any news article that allowed commentary from readers at the end of the article. But fortunately most understand that providing a link to another source of information is not "bringing entire topics from another forum".

Much ado about nothing methinks.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Evil Penevil

I did not say anything about you for starting the topic and in fact how you started the topic is a good example of how I asked why people do not start a topic anew on this forum if another is running on another forum which is what you did..

I could have worded my topic better....but my point is in those examples I have given.... you click on the links that are posted and the entire topic along with all BMs board names from another forum is posted to here.

cheers

Edited by roobob

5 minutes ago, roobob said:

@Evil Penevil

I did not say anything about you for starting the topic and in fact how you started the topic is a good example of how I asked why people do not start a topic anew on this forum if another is running on another forum which is what you did..

I could have worded my topic better....but my point is in those examples I have given.... you click on the link and and the entire topic along with all BMs board names from another forum is posted to here.

cheers

lol, well it's from Pissed Live I ain't revealing anything. I have a lifetime ban over there. 😁

6 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I think the Cement Table Collectors Club annual get together must have been cancelled due to Covid.

Never gets cancelled. If you are ever up this way you are welcome to drop in and have a coldie at one of our collection of cement tables.... you can even choose the one you want to sit at....😎

cheers

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Beggars belief, he we are like most forums struggling for content and the cement table/chang expert is trying to suppress content, this calls for a Deano................

Dean Martin (499x442).jpg

That one always reminds me.of Steelers 😁😇

• Thumbs Up 1