The Derek Chauvin George Floyd Murder Trial.

Kathmandu

Interesting take on how young black Americans are feeling these days.

OPINION/GUEST ESSAY
‘We Still Aren’t Safe’: 6 Young Americans on George Floyd’s Death

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/21/opinion/young-americans-race-blm.html

The nationwide protests that followed George Floyd’s death last May hinted at a possible turning point in the way many Americans confront issues of racial injustice. How much has really changed, though?

Times Opinion asked young readers about how the protests affected their approach to social justice, politics and life in general and what changes they’ve seen, if any, in their communities. Many who responded said the video of Mr. Floyd’s murder awoke them to the reality of racial inequity in the United States and set them on a path of self-education and activism. But for some, those actions seemed fleeting...

‘Our deaths only matter if they can provoke an emotional response from white Americans’
George Floyd’s death has made me resent the power that white people have to define justice in our society. Black Americans have been getting murdered by the police and vigilantes for as long as this country has existed, and yet it feels like our deaths only matter if they can provoke an emotional response from white Americans. This time around, it took a nine-minute video of a Black man’s brutal killing to elicit that response. That, and last summer’s protests, pushed me to start writing about politics for the first time. Now I write a column about race and justice for my college newspaper.

George Floyd's Family Meets With Biden Amid Negotiations Over Police Reform Bill

. . . 

Police reform legislation

Biden had hoped Congress would pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act by the first anniversary of his death.

Brandon Williams, Floyd's nephew, told reporters that Biden's deadline was discussed in the White House meeting.

Referring to the president, Williams said, "He's not happy about it not being met, but all in all he just wants the bill to be right and meaningful and that it holds George's legacy intact."

Biden told reporters that he had spoken with congressional negotiators and was hopeful that there would be an agreement "sometime after Memorial Day."

Philonise Floyd, another of Floyd's brothers, said, "If you can make federal laws to protect ... the bald eagle, you can make federal laws to protect people of color." ...

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/25/1000255304/biden-meets-with-george-floyds-family-on-1st-anniversary-of-his-death

Capture.JPG

Edited by lazarus

• 2 weeks later...

Only real hope for Chauvin is that he's not a "hangin' judge"...

Of course, he'll be real popular in prison with the Bloods & Crips.

‘Good faith error’: Chauvin asks for probation for Floyd killing
Prosecutors ask for 30 years in prison after the judge ruled aggravating factors allow for a harsher sentence.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/2/chauvin-requests-probation-for-george-floyd-killing?fbclid=IwAR01tr52BVZNECODkkP4xVrVHRKlQs3EpDeA70N2TSIlyxCyQnlzqm3ZLzU&sf145105600=1

A lawyer for former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin has asked a judge for probation or a below-guidelines prison term when sentencing his client, who was convicted in April of murder and manslaughter in the killing of a Black man, George Floyd.

In a motion filed with Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill on Wednesday, lawyer Eric Nelson said Chauvin’s actions in pinning Floyd to the pavement during an arrest in May last year was “best described as an error made in good faith” based on his training.

“Mr. Chauvin asks the Court to look beyond its findings, to his background, his lack of criminal history, his amenability to probation, to the unusual facts of this case, and to his being a product of a ‘broken’ system,” Nelson wrote.

The lawyer asked the judge for a so-called dispositional departure resulting in probation or a downward durational departure, which he said would lead to a sentence less strict than the 128 to 180 months suggested by state guidelines...

• Haha 1

Mr Nelson also asked the court to consider that Mr Chauvin was working all the hours God gives to keep his beautiful wife at the time (ex-Ms Minnesota born in Laos) in the style the was accustomed to. He got distracted by wondering if he had enough money to buy her that new handbag she so wanted.

Mr Nelson also asked the court to consider whether this was a false flag operation by BLM gone wrong when Mr Chauvin who worked security with Mr Floyd in a nightclub went into a dreamlike state (see above).

Mr Nelson also asked the court if they would like to be locked up with Big Bubba, The Blood the Crips and the Guatemalan gang bangers...... 

I quite liked young Mr Nelson done his best !!!!  No chance Horatio ....30 years ..... solitary under a mountain in Colorado or Wyoming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Mr Nelson also asked the court to consider that Mr Chauvin was working all the hours God gives to keep his beautiful wife at the time (ex-Ms Minnesota born in Laos) in the style the was accustomed to. He got distracted by wondering if he had enough money to buy her that new handbag she so wanted.

Mr Nelson also asked the court to consider whether this was a false flag operation by BLM gone wrong when Mr Chauvin who worked security with Mr Floyd in a nightclub went into a dreamlike state (see above).

Mr Nelson also asked the court if they would like to be locked up with Big Bubba, The Blood the Crips and the Guatemalan gang bangers...... 

I quite liked young Mr Nelson done his best !!!!  No chance Horatio ....30 years ..... solitary under a mountain in Colorado or Wyoming.

Mr. Nelson has no reputable grounds for appeal. Best that he bow out and let the appeals experts take over. 

5 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Whilst I did not view all parts of the trial, for me what was missing in the defence case was some evidence/testimony perhaps by expert witnesses as to what the accused actually felt and was thinking during the incident.  I don't think US law is significantly different to that of UK, in that an honestly even if not reasonably held belief by the accused that his actions were necessary to make the arrest, retain the suspect in custody, plus all the other areas surrounding self defence, defence of another (including other officers) protection of life and property, preservation of the Peace and the like.  What would the deceased have done had he been allowed to get to his feet?  What effect would that have had on the growing crowd, etc etc etc. 

I understand the reasonong behind the accused not wishing to give evidence on his own behalf, but as far as I am aware the defence case was silent in respect of the issues I highlight above.  In that respect I am critical of the defence case.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 12:11 PM, lazarus said:

the forum bro'mance is cultivating a menage a trois ... 

rooboob has always hitched his ride to another wagon. You should see his brown nosing on the "other" forum (no names). 

On 5/21/2021 at 12:11 PM, lazarus said:

BM Evil offers his ideas/opinions supported with facts. He's a league above his new wannabe mates.

It's embarrassing to watch. I feel so sad for them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Judge denies Derek Chauvin's request for new trial

Hennepin County District Court Judge Peter Cahill has denied former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin’s post-verdict motion for a new trial. 

In a ruling filed Thursday evening Cahill said the "Defendant has failed to demonstrate that the Court abused its discretion or committed error such that Defendant was deprived of his constitutional right to a fair trial." Cahill also said the Defendant failed to demonstrate the State engaged in prosecutorial misconduct or a case for juror misconduct...

... The defense argued in court filings that “errors, abuses of discretion, prosecutorial and jury misconduct” during the trial made it unfair.  

In asking Cahill to deny the motion for a new trial, prosecutors said the court already rejected many of the arguments.

The request for a new trial is different than an appeal in that it is addressed to the trial judge. Chauvin will have 90 days from the imposition of his sentence to file an appeal with the Minnesota Court of Appeals. 

Capture2.JPG

https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/derek-chauvin-sentencing/index.html

I would have gone for 25 nice roundish number. Big Bubba and Myman Mandingo will not make the next 22 years easy let alone Jose and Manuel from the Latino Brainstemsuckers Cartel and old Wayne, Kenny and Dilbert from the Arkansas White 88 Pride Hells Angels meth lab biker boys. Plus his Laotian wife has f***d off and he owes IRS shedloads ..... guess his karma is not too good .... small man syndrome Chauvin.

Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22.5 years in jail for George Floyd’s murder

Minneapolis: A Minnesota judge has sentenced former police officer Derek Chauvin to 22½ years in prison for the murder of George Floyd during an arrest in May 2020 on a Minneapolis street, video of which sparked global protests.

A jury found Chauvin, 45, guilty on April 20 of unintentional second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter after a trial that was widely seen as a watershed moment in the history of US policing.

Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill said it was important to recognise the pain of the Floyd family and acknowledged the global notoriety of the case, only to say it would not sway him.

Prosecutors had asked for a 30-year prison sentence, double the upper limit indicated in sentencing guidelines for a first-time offender. Cahill ruled earlier this month that prosecutors have established grounds for giving Chauvin a harsher sentence.

The defence had asked for probation and had unsuccessfully sought a retrial ahead of an expected appeal.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/ex-police-officer-derek-chauvin-sentenced-to-22-5-years-for-george-floyd-murder-20210626-p584ga.html

3 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Big Bubba and Myman Mandingo will not make the next 22 years easy let alone Jose and Manuel from the Latino Brainstemsuckers Cartel and old Wayne, Kenny and Dilbert from the Arkansas White 88 Pride Hells Angels meth lab biker boys.

I'll bet you're having a laugh. Chauvin, an ex-cop, is heading straight to protective custody where he will knock off his 15 years, in protective custody never coming close to Bubba or Jose or Manual. Assuming he is credited 7 years for good time. He'll be free at 60. 

Good chuckle though.

7 minutes ago, roobob said:

I hope Chauvin has more avenues of appeal as this has clearly been a miscarriage of justice towards him.

He was tried...judged and convicted even before he got to a courtroom.

cheers

I would say it's more of the case of the world seeing evidence of the crime right before their eyes due to the video footage. Which you rarely see in murder trials. 

I think we all had the right to an opinion on his guilt. 

For me it's the right verdict. He abused his position as a police officer, a man died as a result, and he was rightly imprisoned as a result of his actions. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, roobob said:

I hope Chauvin has more avenues of appeal as this has clearly been a miscarriage of justice towards him.

He was tried...judged and convicted even before he got to a courtroom.

cheers

He has an avenue to appeal, which is more than what he gave his victim, who was judged, convicted and executed without a trial or any hope of appeal.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also earlier this week a  British police officer was found guilty of the manslaughter of former footballer Dalian Atkinson, who he basically tasered and beat to death. He will be sentenced Monday I believe. 

This abuse by police has to stop. 

• Like 1