Expats - As a matter of interest

Jambo

15 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Have you had Covid or know any expat in Thailand who has contracted Covid?

The only one I am aware of is Tommy Dee some 15 months ago apparently.

No and talking to my English landlord this week he said the same and none of his friends knew anyone either.

I have a large circle of expats I'm around via the Hash and not one of them has come down with the China virus. This includes maybe 6 or so that have now gone through quarantine and have returned to Thailand. Outside of Thailand it's a different matter, but for those living in Thailand we've been fortunate the expat community has been largely free of infection.

I know you are asking expats , but I was asking the same question over here (U.K) last summer to everyone I knew and then come winter BANG every other person I asked knew someone .

My Mrs got it from work , yet I didn't catch it off her (still shared the same bed and my kids didn't get it either, all in the same house for two weeks) it left me thinking it was nothing to worry about, but it all depends what strain people get I have since realised.

I know a few that died too and some with long covid.

I hope Thailand never finds out what it's really like.

The BIG difference is, you now have the vaccines (we didn't at the time) I just hope the Thai government doesn't do a France and gets on with it .

Edited by roomark
  • Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

As i mentioned a good few months ago, it doesn't surprise me than in the main, those on the forum who don't really take Covid too seriously, are sceptics or whatever, are those living in Thailand or similar, where there has been next to none of it.

While if you live in say the UK, or many places in Europe, you'll most likely know people who have died after contracting it. Some of us know a few people who have caught Covid and died from catching it. So of course it's much more 'real' to them.

Speaking in general terms, not about the OP or anyone in particular. 

Edited by Krapow
spelling incase Baz pulls me up!
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Interesting thread that. Who knows if I had it or not last year but here's a piece from my diary last year dated 5th March. 

I’m struggling again today, I said earlier I felt shit and it seems I have a bit of a bug ?

In Pattaya around Dec 2019 I had a flu-like virus - lost sense of taste and smell, no energy and body aching all over - i would struggle with breathing, and I described it as my breathing was very wet and gargling.

Went to the Dr's in Pattaya who  said I had a bronchil infection, gave me some antibiotics, vitamins and some other stuff that i cant remember 🙂

A few days later my wife got very sick also - pains in joints and flu-like symptoms. 

Took around a week or so to recover (I must say that I had Dengue fever a few months later and that was infinately worse than what i had in December!

3 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

I also thought I may have had it in Feb 2020 (I'm in the U.K)

But in the summer of 2020 I ended up in hospital for 5 days for a different illness and back then they were testing people for the antibodies with a blood test , turns out I hadn't had it.

Not long after that they stopped testing for antibodies on everyone in hospitals because of costs.

I spent Xmas of 2019 in Pattaya with a dreadful head cold - nose totally plugged up, blowing gallons of snot and flat on my back in my room for three or four days; however I don't remember any sore throat or other symptoms and I've had colds like this in previous visits so who knows...

3 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I spent Xmas of 2019 in Pattaya with a dreadful head cold - nose totally plugged up, blowing gallons of snot and flat on my back in my room for three or four days; however I don't remember any sore throat or other symptoms and I've had colds like this in previous visits so who knows...

Myself and another mutual friend of ours who was in Bkk around that time both had serious colds around the same time. Mine turned out to be Dog awful and pneumonia in one lung. I was treated over a 3 day period with I.V.'s. The illness lasted about 10 days.

I'm like you, as it was around the same time and my friend and I were discussing at the time we noticed whatever it was - "We noticed it seemed like a lot of it (whatever it was) was going around". Who knows ?

20 hours ago, Chappo said:

In Pattaya around Dec 2019 I had a flu-like virus - lost sense of taste and smell, no energy and body aching all over - i would struggle with breathing, and I described it as my breathing was very wet and gargling.

Went to the Dr's in Pattaya who  said I had a bronchil infection, gave me some antibiotics, vitamins and some other stuff that i cant remember 🙂

A few days later my wife got very sick also - pains in joints and flu-like symptoms. 

Took around a week or so to recover (I must say that I had Dengue fever a few months later and that was infinately worse than what i had in December!

my dr toldme bronchal pnumonia made worse by smog  at the same time as you.  then they didnt know about covid. later he confirmed.  and it wasnt just me, 6 men and some of their families caught at same time, we all sit at the same bar table. me i am first in line when you can buy the shots.  i look at it as betrter safe than sorry

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Interesting thread that. Who knows if I had it or not last year but here's a piece from my diary last year dated 5th March. 

I’m struggling again today, I said earlier I felt shit and it seems I have a bit of a bug ?

Well we all feel like shite from time to time as that is almost an occupational hazard of living in Thailand.

Infact, come to think of it, I felt like shite all day Saturday but that just might have had something to do with all the Tiger lights and vodka soda's I enjoyed Friday touring all the busier nightspots still doing the business in Pattaya. 🤣

Now the interesting thing about touring Pattaya Friday was the fact that social distancing is completely non-existant absolutely everywhere. So it is a good job that no Pattaya ex-pats have caught the bug because it will spread like wildfire.

To be serious, of course living in Thailand we are not personally experiencing anything like the what is happening in many other parts of the world but that does not mean to say we are any less unaware or not concerned. My main family members live in the West Lothians, just outside Edinburgh, a very high risk area in the UK. I worry for them far more it would seem than they do themselves.

I have no Agenda for posting this topic other than wondering if like my friends in Pattaya generally nobody was aware of any expat who had contracted Covid. Long may that last as most of us come into the high risk category on age alone. 🤣

Edited by Jambo
Piss poor grammar