Another 2 week closure from Friday 09?

Butch

Within the rules of the forum, the announcement of another 2 week closure of bars and venues in Chonburi is, in my opinion, perhaps not very well informed but I'm sure the Thai Govt has very valid reasons...🥴😖

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2096975/pubs-clubs-in-bangkok-40-other-provinces-to-shut-for-2-weeks

Who else finds it an unusual co incidence that Songkran is just around the corner?

Edit in - I see it's covered elsewhere in the forum, perhaps here we can discuss the impact?

Edited by Butch

BKK post on their front page also posts this today

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2096591/uk-strain-behind-flare-up

The dreaded Kent variant seems to have made it Thailand. Given the strength of restrictions in Thailand to date, I'd say it was unsurprising  that the Govt would want to cancel celebrations to stop this from spreading.

Look how well Boris's Merry Little Xmas worked out for the UK

Realise that Thailand has virtually no problem compared to Europe and the America's and hope it continues to do so. 

Sucks if you're a business owner, but because of the amount of travel that takes place during Songkran the closures are a smart move, IMHO. Travel restrictions are problematic to set up and enforce, much easier to close entertainment places until after Songkran.

With the impending rollout of vaccinations I'm hopeful this will be the last time they have to go down the closure path.

• Like 1

If you've been watching where the infections are being traced back to, it's largely pubs and bars in Bangkok and people who visited them and then returned home, carrying the virus to Chonburi, Phuket and beyond. You don't need a Ph.D. in immunology to see that closing these places for a period is a sensible precaution.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

If you've been watching where the infections are being traced back to, it's largely pubs and bars in Bangkok and people who visited them and then returned home, carrying the virus to Chonburi, Phuket and beyond. You don't need a Ph.D. in immunology to see that closing these places for a period is a sensible precaution.

Didn't realise the Burmese had so much money as to hit the night spots......

21 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Sucks if you're a business owner, but because of the amount of travel that takes place during Songkran the closures are a smart move, IMHO. Travel restrictions are problematic to set up and enforce, much easier to close entertainment places until after Songkran.

With the impending rollout of vaccinations I'm hopeful this will be the last time they have to go down the closure path.

I drove up to Mae Sot on Thursday to collect my PC etc and passed what seemed like hundreds of those  double decker "busses" with the bizare paint jobs. I read today that they were the mass Songkran migration to all places north from Bangkok but at half the normal expected level.

Once I cleared them the traffic was not much more than experienced on any other previous journey to Mae Sot. I am going to return next Wednesday to avoid the weekend Bangkok returnees. 😀

10 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Didn't realise the Burmese had so much money as to hit the night spots......

You're a wave behind those of us living here, lol, The second wave that started at the end of 2020 was mainly caused by Burmese migrant workers, the third and current wave really broke due to Thai (and Japanese!) drinkers mixing at pubs and bars in the Thonglor district of Bangkok, which are not places for migrant workers (unless they were cleaning the toilets).

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

...yup, very unfortunate.  

I was hopeful of returning in 3rd or 4th quarter of this year.  I may have to start coming to grips that I may not be arriving back till 2022, yikes!

I booked for December in early March thinking much could change in that time range but these latest developments aren't doing wonders for my optimism; I may have to look at going elsewhere next winter...

There are so many changing variants. Just as the UK is making great inroads to tackling the virus and Thailand seemed almost covid free, then there is the latest news of further lock downs and increasing cases. How it will all turn out, nobody knows. It appears that global vaccination is the way out of this, but that could still be some way away. Personally, I just hope that the quality of life will vastly improve in my own country before contemplating any travel plans. Perhaps this recent lock down is partly due to Songkran festivities and perhaps the numbers will start to level off if they get track and trace right. 

I hate to say it, but if it goes on for a year wether off and on or not, there surely won't be much left, tourist wise, apart from beaches and sight seeing. 

How long can the tourist infrastructure last in Pattaya without foreign tourism? 

28 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

There are so many changing variants. Just as the UK is making great inroads to tackling the virus and Thailand seemed almost covid free, then there is the latest news of further lock downs and increasing cases. How it will all turn out, nobody knows. It appears that global vaccination is the way out of this, but that could still be some way away. Personally, I just hope that the quality of life will vastly improve in my own country before contemplating any travel plans. Perhaps this recent lock down is partly due to Songkran festivities and perhaps the numbers will start to level off if they get track and trace right. 

I hate to say it, but if it goes on for a year wether off and on or not, there surely won't be much left, tourist wise, apart from beaches and sight seeing. 

How long can the tourist infrastructure last in Pattaya without foreign tourism? 

Thais have an amazing ability to pivot businesswise when needed. They adapt quickly to changing markets (& visitors).

Most of the real estate, if not all, is owned by a small percentage of very rich people. They will not lose it. Basically it is 'mothballed' for the time being. They own the banks too, so there will be plenty of money available to ramp back up.

Unfortunately, it's the existing small business owners (lessees) who will lose. Once tourism resumes others will take their place.

Today, the average low wage Thai 'worker' can either go to work in a factory (most still running), or head upcountry (& grow food). When tourism resumes they can hop on a bus and have a new job within hours.

I suspect that Chinese tourists & other Asians will be allowed back in first; they already represent a majority of the market. The rest of the world will come back in time. Unvaccinated people from hard hit countries will have a long, long wait.

• Like 1