Supporting your Thai friends.

Butch

Although at the time of writing there are no girls on Butch's payroll anymore (as in, paid a retainer fee for not being retained) - I am still friends with a couple of since retired girls in Pattaya and beyond.

I'm not going to bore you all with the "they never ask for money" yarn because I'd be lying. There is always a subtle inference each time we what's app after a month or so, or communicate via email, but mostly it is a 2 way "how you keeping, how's the family and how's the buffalo" kind of chat. However, one of the girls has taken to try and get a form of income by knitting woolly hats. Now, I did suggest to her that there may be a supply and demand issue concerning thick woolly hats in a country with a mean annual temperature of +29 degrees centigrade, but she is hopeful that at 150 baht each, they are a worthwhile investment.

I did explain to her that it might be prudent to "knit on demand" rather than invest the time and money actually knitting a load and hoping they would sell, and maybe instead of hats, making bootees for small children or indeed small dogs might be more lucrative, but I can't help her because I don't actually possess either.

Fair play to the girl for trying, being a soft headed muppet I am, I've offered to help her out if she gets stuck, which no doubt she will. I've said this before, I'll never see the money back, and I'd be an idiot if I thought I would, but it's not always about the money.

Anyway, I've recently purchased 10 woolly hats, so if anyone finds themselves in need of one, then I'm your man. However, they are only available in Thailand once we get over there, as the stock is currently in storage. One size fits all, very probably all different sizes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was quite happy to help out at the beginning especially when a couple of "friends" were stuck in Pattaya during the first lockdown... one of them went back to Buriram and the family farm / shop on my advice , but then asked for funds to maintain her "pied-a-terre" back in Patts ... I explained this was going to take a long time and she was silly to keep paying for a room ... so she stopped messaging ..until it was her Birthday...  

I'm sure I will see these "friends" again when it reopens, but I have stopped contributions, but I'm betting others are still helping out  🙂 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Thumbs Up 3

40 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I was shocked the first time I ever visited CM , most of the girls in the beer bars were knitting hats and scarves , all saying it was naaw  ... meanwhile I was sitting there in a T-shirt 555

The only time I ever needed a jacket in Thailand was the early morning of 28 December 1999, shortly after landing. I later learned there had been frost in Bangkok over Christmas. For several days after, I still saw Thai is winter coats at Pattaya Beach Road with faces clearly showing they thought it was (too) cold. At the same time, I thought it was very nice, warm enough but not too hot.

1 minute ago, Freee!! said:

The only time I ever needed a jacket in Thailand was the early morning of 28 December 1999, shortly after landing. I later learned there had been frost in Bangkok over Christmas. For several days after, I still saw Thai is winter coats at Pattaya Beach Road with faces clearly showing they thought it was (too) cold. At the same time, I thought it was very nice, warm enough but not too hot.

Went up to Doi Inthanon , they were all dressed like Eskimos 555

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

I was shocked the first time I ever visited CM , most of the girls in the beer bars were knitting hats and scarves , all saying it was naaw  ... meanwhile I was sitting there in a T-shirt 555

Remember one day at Christmas in Pattaya wishing I had a jumper on. I had been out there for a few months by then so you acclimatise and notice the drop in temperature more. 

• Surprised 1

IMG20210419115918.jpg

This is the very only item of clothing which I own in Thailand that could in any way be considered cool weather clobber.

I purchased it specifically for the journey when I moved to Thailand back in October 2006 because at the time it was freezing in Edinburgh.  Subsequently, the only time it ever gets worn is when I do a visit to the UK to see family. I then invariably have to borrow jumpers etc from my two sons-in-law. 🤣

It hangs in a wardrobe until my next UK trip.

• Like 1

There may well be a demand for woolly hats in a few months time when the temperature drops.

I can remember a coach tour from Chiang Mai when at sunset the temperature in the coach dropped from impossibly hot to merely too hot, and the guide and driver both put on woolly sweaters,

and there was a long-tail boat trip from Phuket where the thai companion on one of the other falangs was well wrapped up, including a woolly hat.

On 4/18/2021 at 12:38 PM, Stillearly said:

F2EDF68D-C9B3-4ADA-8ECB-FCEA3F78934A.jpeg

851C3532-0CBD-42B4-9470-35F4C2CF8C90.jpeg

F7211622-021F-49BA-A501-1D1B8D06854D.jpeg

In 2010 I went to Doi Suthep in shorts and a tank top in January.....ah well, that Asian blood is conditioned to a certain climate. Always laughed on the way back to my condo, ladies were in pants and ski jackets saying “Welcome” at bar entrances. FFS, it was still 13C at midnight, that’s good golfing weather in some spots I’ve lived