Want to SMILE again in the 'Land of Smiles'

Hello Thailanders! Locals and expats!

I'm hoping to visit one of my favourite countries again and hope to stay a little while longer this time. Due to the ASQ requirements/costs it makes sense to stay longer.

Just a question on visas if anyone knows any information. Firstly, I intend to have a long holiday with my wife but if the opportunity arises we could stay longer and work. Does anyone know if it's easy enough to change the TR visa to a working one? Would much appreciate any advice/ information that would help.

Thanks a million and hopefully it won't be long till we can have some of that Thailand goodness! Ciao...

43 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Have you taught before ?  Lots of people think about teaching, without have the necessary qualifications or experience 

I have thought about it, but, being a third generation teacher's brat on both sides, I know better.

10 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

I have thought about it, but, being a third generation teacher's brat on both sides, I know better.

I also thought about it years ago as a way to move to LOS , but imho unless you are properly qualified , TEFL or preferably CELTA , then you are probably doing a disservice to your students... teachers in Thailand used to have a terrible reputation and be propping up the bars in Nana most nights ( my impressions from reading the forums over the years ) I think things have improved and the schools are more stringent in the people they employ these days ....

Getting a Non B business visa and WP despite what some say is very easy if the company really wants you and the company is above board.

been through this twice and in both cases the Bars i was going to work for dealt with the paperwork and paid fees associated as well.

took about 1 week to have WP in hand.

if they really want you they will get it done

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hello all, sorry for the late replies and thanks for the advice. Yes, @Freee!! and @Stillearly we have credentials including teaching in China for 5 years and a year now online. I'm not excited by the wild parties or such and neither is my wife so we are dedicated to teaching. 

@Yesitisdakid great insight cheers! Love the GIF btw! Yeah, so one company said that the costs we would have to pay were between 10,000THB- 12,000THB which nearly gave me a heart attack, This was the reason I decided to look for a forum and found this site. Nice one!

Edited by Ebenzo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ebenzo said:

Yeah, so one company said that the costs we would have to pay were between 10,000THB- 12,000THB which nearly gave me a heart attack, 

Before you get a heart attack from just looking at the numbers, first convert it to the currency you use at home. For shits and giggles, also convert it to VND 😉

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2021 at 2:25 PM, Ebenzo said:

Hello all, sorry for the late replies and thanks for the advice. Yes, @Freee!! and @Stillearly we have credentials including teaching in China for 5 years and a year now online. I'm not excited by the wild parties or such and neither is my wife so we are dedicated to teaching. 

If you are successfully teaching online, you would be prudent to keep it going , lots of westerners in Thailand doing the same ( without work permits )  , especially in places like CM , ( lots of shared workspaces available or you could set up in your condo ) you could even try and expand that as the time zone might assist 

• Great Info 1

On 4/20/2021 at 8:25 PM, Ebenzo said:

so one company said that the costs we would have to pay were between 10,000THB- 12,000THB which nearly gave me a heart attack,

If that is the cost for the Business Visa and the Work Permit grab it I am very sure the company that took care of getting mine paid more than that and a fair bit more as well.

I said easy to get I did not say it was cheap.  

47 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

If that is the cost for the Business Visa and the Work Permit grab it I am very sure the company that took care of getting mine paid more than that and a fair bit more as well.

I said easy to get I did not say it was cheap.  

You never came cheap as they said in Kokomos AC.

I'm sure you were worth every nickel, dime and baht hunny  !!! 🤠

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2021 at 6:55 PM, CampariO said:

Next heart attack will be coming when you learn about your future salary.....

Yeah I know, I've seen the salary offered from many places but as long as the Mrs and I are comfortable and not going beyond our means then it could be ok, an experience anyway.

I think if the costs and risk are too high then we will just have a nice long holiday! Then look to apply for the next year at an International school either in Thailand or another country nearby. Least this way we have freedom of movement/ travel as long as we like for at least two months. Cheers all the same people!