When we eventually get to Thailand...

Butch

...are you going to splash out a bit more than usual?.

I've already added last years budget to this years, so double the money for spending. As it looks like I'll not get there until 2022 at the earliest, that'll be another couple of grand I've got in my holiday fund.

So, I have decided to spoil myself a bit, I'll certainly be upgrading my hotel room and might even do a week in a half decent room, then a week in one of the top end LK rooms in the Residence or Metropole where I usually stay. The way I see things is that after a 3 years absence (my last trip was May 2019, the one planned for April 2020 didn't happen) and the crap I've had happen to me lately, I kind of deserve it , slightly selfish I guess, but hey ho.

Normally I'll fly Prem econ , my buggered shoulders don't fare very well in economy and even though I'm not a big guy, I'll still go PE regardless of the price, be it EVA, BA or maybe Emirates. The idea of upgrading to business class did cross my mind, but PE is perfectly fine for my needs and although it would be great, it's money I don't want to spend.

The intention is to have a couple of good meals, and it will be great to have a holiday where budget is not an issue as such. I figure we all, at one point or another check our in room safe, or ATM balance and think..."whoa there tiger, might be an idea to slow it down for a day or two", it will be nice not to have too much of a concern over that.

My other intention is to try and put names to the faces on the board, my next trip will probably be extended a bit anyway.

With everything looking a bit dicey globally, some Countries taking 2 steps forward and one step back, so much uncertainty everywhere, I thought it might be good to have a topic aimed at the positives when things do eventually open up, and see the plans other boardies might have or might be making.

21 minutes ago, Butch said:

...are you going to splash out a bit more than usual?.

I've already added last years budget to this years, so double the money for spending. As it looks like I'll not get there until 2022 at the earliest, that'll be another couple of grand I've got in my holiday fund.

So, I have decided to spoil myself a bit, I'll certainly be upgrading my hotel room and might even do a week in a half decent room, then a week in one of the top end LK rooms in the Residence or Metropole where I usually stay. The way I see things is that after a 3 years absence (my last trip was May 2019, the one planned for April 2020 didn't happen) and the crap I've had happen to me lately, I kind of deserve it , slightly selfish I guess, but hey ho.

Normally I'll fly Prem econ , my buggered shoulders don't fare very well in economy and even though I'm not a big guy, I'll still go PE regardless of the price, be it EVA, BA or maybe Emirates. The idea of upgrading to business class did cross my mind, but PE is perfectly fine for my needs and although it would be great, it's money I don't want to spend.

The intention is to have a couple of good meals, and it will be great to have a holiday where budget is not an issue as such. I figure we all, at one point or another check our in room safe, or ATM balance and think..."whoa there tiger, might be an idea to slow it down for a day or two", it will be nice not to have too much of a concern over that.

My other intention is to try and put names to the faces on the board, my next trip will probably be extended a bit anyway.

With everything looking a bit dicey globally, some Countries taking 2 steps forward and one step back, so much uncertainty everywhere, I thought it might be good to have a topic aimed at the positives when things do eventually open up, and see the plans other boardies might have or might be making.

I will definitely push the boat out, when I next visit, whenever that will be.  But I will still be sensible about it and not go ringing the bell in every gogo I visit. 😁

I have always lived comfortably on the money I take with me, but next time I might adopt a 3 week millionaire lifestyle. No more drinking watered down lager at 50baht and gin & tonics all the way. 

The next time I accidently slip my finger into a girl's bottom, I shall handsomely reward her. 

I just hope, for all of us, that when we return, things will be more or less as it used to be. I would hate to have restrictions in place. I enjoy the filth and debauchery of nightlife and may that continue

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I will definitely push the boat out, when I next visit, whenever that will be.  But I will still be sensible about it and not go ringing the bell in every gogo I visit. 😁

I have always lived comfortably on the money I take with me, but next time I might adopt a 3 week millionaire lifestyle. No more drinking watered down lager at 50baht and gin & tonics all the way. 

The next time I accidently slip my finger into a girl's bottom, I shall handsomely reward her. 

I just hope, for all of us, that when we return, things will be more or less as it used to be. I would hate to have restrictions in place. I enjoy the filth and debauchery of nightlife and may that continue

She says she is waiting for you.

SB.jpg

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

So it'll be a cheap charlies breakfast every morning instead of rifling through the bins of Lengkee Restaurant?.

Indeed, Gin Tonics all the way for me as well, plus bottled beer, none of that draft rubbish. I'm sure you will find some willing young maidens into which you can slip your digit, although it might be fair to actually warn her, unlike last time when all I heard was a "yelp" and looked around to see you sniffing your finger while she re adjusted her bikini bottoms 🙂

In some ways, I imagine that the return for many guys will actually be similar to reliving their first trip if we think about it, because it may actually be that Pattaya, or parts of it are either unrecogniseable as to what they once were, but a 2 or 3 year absence will most certainly be the longest many of us have gone without visiting.

I figure we also owe the Expats / Bar owners a good few beers for keeping the place going while we're not adding our usual annual contribution. I read elsewhere about a bar owner who basically ran his bar with no wages for himself and almost zero profit last month (March) when rent arrears etc are all taken into account. That's commitment for you.

• Like 1

I'm hoping to visit for three months in early 2022 🙏 

I have one hotel I want to visit in Samui, they gave me a full refund last year , when they had no requirement to do so , it was about THB 30,000 , so I was very grateful 

Other than that , I have a few "friends " that I would like to get reacquainted with and hopefully find lots of  new ones ...

I also want to spend more time in Bangkok and Hua Hin than I have before 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Butch said:

So it'll be a cheap charlies breakfast every morning instead of rifling through the bins of Lengkee Restaurant?.

Indeed, Gin Tonics all the way for me as well, plus bottled beer, none of that draft rubbish. I'm sure you will find some willing young maidens into which you can slip your digit, although it might be fair to actually warn her, unlike last time when all I heard was a "yelp" and looked around to see you sniffing your finger while she re adjusted her bikini bottoms 🙂

In some ways, I imagine that the return for many guys will actually be similar to reliving their first trip if we think about it, because it may actually be that Pattaya, or parts of it are either unrecogniseable as to what they once were, but a 2 or 3 year absence will most certainly be the longest many of us have gone without visiting.

I figure we also owe the Expats / Bar owners a good few beers for keeping the place going while we're not adding our usual annual contribution. I read elsewhere about a bar owner who basically ran his bar with no wages for himself and almost zero profit last month (March) when rent arrears etc are all taken into account. That's commitment for you.

It's a pity that Crazy Dave's is no more. I remember you used to have a table reserved each morning next to the lavatory. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Butch said:

[...

but a 2 or 3 year absence will most certainly be the longest many of us have gone without visiting.

For most probably, my longest break from Thailand (due to outside circumstances) was from right after Song Kran 2001 to the end of February 2009 (nearly eight years) and another one from early 2010 to early  2017 (which was the last time I was in Thailand). I really need to get back to Thailand soon.

I am booked for early December but am starting to get a little skeptical about this date now and will quite likely push it back to January or February; I had intended to go for three months, ideally arriving with a 60 day visa and then pulling a visa trip to possibly the Phils for a couple of weeks before returning to Thailand to finish it off but we'll see what the Thai authorities are offering for visas at that time. Even before Covid I had already decided to cut my trips back from the usual five months to two or three instead for various reasons, one of which was that I was tired of having to watch my spending over the longer trips - I'd rather go for a somewhat shorter term and live it up a little more. I know that I would have had a lot more fun on my last trip if I had known what was waiting at the end of it, 555....

• Like 6

It will be a premium econ ticket for me, most likely with Eva, as they have a very convenient connecting schedule out of SF. Very good airline IMO.

Bell ringing, I'll make a bit of racket at a bar or two. Food, will hit up a few of the top hotel restaurants, but still maintain my love of the street food carts. All great stuff!

While I'm not all that enamored with the agogo scene regarding fines and the price those girls think they are worth, I'd be willing to yank the rubber band off the pimp roll if I just "had to have her", as the saying goes.

Accommodations wise, a place like Sutus Court is just fine, but possibly if Harrys Hotel and Bar is still going, I might consider there, or the Hideaway. Seems like a pretty good accommodation. No need for a 4 star joint that leaves a mint on the pillow with housekeeping.

And a 3 week stay will be it, if not 4. Gotta make up for lost time. I'm sure a lot of us will feel the same.

While I would love to be there before Christmas this year, I'm beginning to strongly consider holding off until a few days after January if the gov't plan to do away with all restrictions of any kind, will still be implemented. Regardless, I'm holding off until about mid-October before making any booking. Things are still too fluid to confirm anything at the moment.

• Like 3

Yes.... my blow out was the past year and a half. Covid survival and unexpected expenses back home drove up the costs. Don't regret any of it though and wouldn't have done it if I couldn't have. Will be on a much tighter leash when I get back though, but still able to live a very comfortable life. 

Best thing I learned is to have a nice place with a good view. Makes a big difference in day to day attitude and disposition. I'd rather go paycheck to paycheck and have a nice view, than to live in a shoebox and have a massive bank roll.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

While I'm not all that enamored with the agogo scene regarding fines and the price those girls think they are worth, I'd be willing to yank the rubber band off the pimp roll if I just "had to have her", as the saying goes.

Accommodations wise, a place like Sutus Court is just fine, but possibly if Harrys Hotel and Bar is still going, I might consider there, or the Hideaway. Seems like a pretty good accommodation. No need for a 4 star joint that leaves a mint on the pillow with housekeeping.

The way things are going there will not be many agogo's ( apart from the laundry variety) still around by the end of this year.

It comes as a bit of a shock now to walk down WS and find most of it in semi darkness with just a few still open. Except, currently none are of course!

By no means all doom and gloom.

When the bars reopen the Soi Bukhou area will be (relatively) busy again with expats and plenty of "clubs" providing service out and about town. Or at least there was prior to the latest closure.

When I am out on the piss I drive up from Bangsaray and always stay in Sutus Court because of its location, car park and the 590 baht a night they charge me! 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

It will be a premium econ ticket for me, most likely with Eva, as they have a very convenient connecting schedule out of SF. Very good airline IMO.

Bell ringing, I'll make a bit of racket at a bar or two. Food, will hit up a few of the top hotel restaurants, but still maintain my love of the street food carts. All great stuff!

And a 3 week stay will be it, if not 4. Gotta make up for lost time. I'm sure a lot of us will feel the same.

While I would love to be there before Christmas this year, I'm beginning to strongly consider holding off until a few days after January if the gov't plan to do away with all restrictions of any kind, will still be implemented. Regardless, I'm holding off until about mid-October before making any booking. Things are still too fluid to confirm anything at the moment.

If Harry's bar is unavailable try Zip hotel right across the road.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Yes.... my blow out was the past year and a half. Covid survival and unexpected expenses back home drove up the costs. Don't regret any of it though and wouldn't have done it if I couldn't have. Will be on a much tighter leash when I get back though, but still able to live a very comfortable life. 

Best thing I learned is to have a nice place with a good view. Makes a big difference in day to day attitude and disposition. I'd rather go paycheck to paycheck and have a nice view, than to live in a shoebox and have a massive bank roll.

Brilliant post, and I agree with you 100%. Our Manila home, when it was built was in the "province", that was 22 years ago now, we had fairly good views of the fields and jungle as it was then,with a sizeable chuck of land at the rear, looking beyond there was a bit of development creeping in but at the time, nothing to worry about.

Now, we're effectively in the middle of a subdivision, surrounded by buildings and the large plot at the rear was sold for more building, so my view now is of someone else's roof, beyond that, another roof and walls everywhere.

Retirement will be different though, may well end up renting, but that's another topic entirely.

When we get back to the Philippines it'll be a bit of a blow out as well, but the way things are looking over there, that won't be for a very long time indeed, possibly years.

20 hours ago, Butch said:

I figure we also owe the Expats / Bar owners a good few beers for keeping the place going while we're not adding our usual annual contribution. 

Must be terrible stuck in Thailand 🙄

We've all been trying to stay afloat all around the world I would have settled for Thailand over The UK (except for the vaccines)

Where's my beers 🍻

• Haha 2