New BMW "M" car front grille - love it or hate it?

Butch

This is quite divisive among lovers of the Marque, although it seems to be growing on previous "haters". For my own perspective, it's not as nice as the previous incarnation (pic 2) I've used an M4 BMW as an example, as the grille varies across the range but still appears oversized on everything apart from the "2" series..

BMW's are still good cars, but suffer a bit of an image reputation here in the UK. I don't have one, but I'm tempted by a 2018 M4 competition pack.

mrf.jpg

em4ff.jpg

• Like 1

I think there is some kind of competition amongst today's automobile designers to see who can design the ugliest front end - the computers seem to have taken over from the front wheels back so we end up with the usual blob shape nowadays for the rest of the car. IMHO the bottom car is simply ugly and the top one is grotesque - I guess I am simply old-fashioned as I think my 1992 E36 BMW is much more attractive than my 2003 E46...

• Haha 1

I had 3 BMW's,1992 320i,1993 325i & a 1999 328i Sport Coupe.The last one was a proper belter,8 months old when I bought it & handled & went really well,also in my eyes it was a good looking car.

These days I'm strictly Mercedes unless I win the lottery.Even then I'd probably buy another MB.

Prefer the older grill,yea that image rep doesnt do them any good,specially in aberdeen, for a good few years more popular than fords !,still had a few bms and they are solid to drive,but only cos i gave in to my ex she used to like them to much do the 3 year trade in,wouldnt be seen dead in anything else hi-so git,,we stayed on a slight hill and they were shite in the snow,ahh was great when we split up,no longer i had to split the costs with her obsession with bmws every 3 years and park at bottom of hill in snow...i went out and bought a subaru sti ! lol tore that snow roads up it did,no problem getting up the hill,was great for a few years,then sold it as stayed thailand to much.

The ex still drives and changes her bmw every 3 years,i hope she hates the new grills.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looks like they went a little overboard, prefer the older one. 

Never forget the test drive I took on a used 2000 M5 back in 2003.....6 speed manual and had it to 190km/h in 3rd! To think today’s M5 has an extra 200 HP is scary indeed. 

The M cars are great value IMO, do you really need the extra performance of Ferrari and such, just to zip around the town?