Kentucky Derby 2021

Kathmandu

About 10 days out from Derby 147. Just had a quick look at the list of pre-entries and 1 horse that looked good was Hot Rod Charlie.

Any of you gents plan on making a wager or 3?

Rank
Horse/Trainer
Essential Quality
Brad Cox
Hot Rod Charlie
Doug O'Neill
Super Stock
Steve Asmussen
Like the King
Wesley Ward
Known Agenda
Todd Pletcher
Rock Your World
John Sadler
Bourbonic
Todd Pletcher
Medina Spirit
Bob Baffert
Midnight Bourbon
Steve Asmussen
Mandaloun
Brad Cox
Caddo River
Brad Cox
Highly Motivated
Chad Brown
Helium
Mark Casse
Soup and Sandwich
Mark Casse
Dynamic One
Todd Pletcher
Sainthood
Todd Pletcher
Hidden Stash
Vicki Oliver
Dream Shake
Peter Eurton
O Besos
Greg Foley
Get Her Number
Peter Miller
Hozier
Bob Baffert
King Fury
Kenny McPeek
Keepmeinmind
Robertino Diodoro

12 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

About 10 days out from Derby 147. Just had a quick look at the list of pre-entries and 1 horse that looked good was Hot Rod Charlie.

Rank
Horse/Trainer
Essential Quality
Brad Cox
Hot Rod Charlie
Doug O'Neill
Super Stock
Steve Asmussen
Like the King
Wesley Ward
Known Agenda
Todd Pletcher
Rock Your World
John Sadler
Bourbonic
Todd Pletcher
Medina Spirit
Bob Baffert
Midnight Bourbon
Steve Asmussen
Mandaloun
Brad Cox
Caddo River
Brad Cox
Highly Motivated
Chad Brown
Helium
Mark Casse
Soup and Sandwich
Mark Casse
Dynamic One
Todd Pletcher
Sainthood
Todd Pletcher
Hidden Stash
Vicki Oliver
Dream Shake
Peter Eurton
O Besos
Greg Foley
Get Her Number
Peter Miller
Hozier
Bob Baffert
King Fury
Kenny McPeek
Keepmeinmind
Robertino Diodoro

I'll have a look on the day. Generally I'll follow the tipster in my racing paper, whose red hot on the US racing.

Not much early betting here in the UK , can see Hot Rod Charlie at 11.0 but hardly any bookies bothering to price up the race at present.

UK markets are mainly focused  on the 2,000 Guineas, run earlier the same day as your Derby. A straight 1 mile race  on turf for the 3 year old colts.

Love watching the footage of the incredible crowds on the infield at Kentucky, and the singing  of My Old Kentucky home. Looking forward to it, though limited crowds I'd guess?

Limited crowds allowed from 17th May here in the UK. Am booked in 19th May, and some jumps racing- real sport😎 can't wait.

Not been on a racecourse since March 2020 and Cheltenham, one of the things I've missed the most.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 11:00 PM, Kathmandu said:

Rank
Horse/Trainer
Essential Quality
Brad Cox
Hot Rod Charlie
Doug O'Neill
Super Stock
Steve Asmussen
Like the King
Wesley Ward
Known Agenda
Todd Pletcher
Rock Your World
John Sadler
Bourbonic
Todd Pletcher
Medina Spirit
Bob Baffert
Midnight Bourbon
Steve Asmussen
Mandaloun
Brad Cox
Caddo River
Brad Cox
Highly Motivated
Chad Brown
Helium
Mark Casse
Soup and Sandwich
Mark Casse
Dynamic One
Todd Pletcher
Sainthood
Todd Pletcher
Hidden Stash
Vicki Oliver
Dream Shake
Peter Eurton
O Besos
Greg Foley
Get Her Number
Peter Miller
Hozier
Bob Baffert
King Fury
Kenny McPeek
Keepmeinmind
Robertino Diodoro

My UK newspaper has tipped Hot Rod Charlie! Must be reading your posts😎

Will have a small punt, unusually few UK bookies betting on the race. Has me  wondering if the US authorities have taken away betting licences from some UK operators? 

Shall have to scratch around tomorrow so see if I get an O.k price 10.0 best at the moment.

8 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

My UK newspaper has tipped Hot Rod Charlie! Must be reading your posts😎

Yeah, I figured as much. Thought I would get him at 8-1. Not sure about that now. 

2000 Guineas...Is it the Galieo colt?

1 hour ago, Kathmandu said:

Yeah, I figured as much. Thought I would get him at 8-1. Not sure about that now. 

2000 Guineas...Is it the Galieo colt?

Don't tend to be on the 2000 Guineas, too much of guessing game.

The main fun today is Punchestown in Ireland over the jumps- it's the best racing of Ireland's jumps season. Picking the winners this week there has been pretty easy, the all trained by the same guy,  Willie Mullins.

Of the 32 races run this week, he's already trained 16 of the winners😀 He tends to enter multiple horses in a race, and often his second and third strings can win or place.

I've bet 5 of his winner this week 12/1 (twice), 10/1, 9/1, 3/1, and 2/1 along with multiple places. It's been fantastic🥳 8 more races today to finish the 5 day festival, they don't mess around in Ireland, when they put on a festival- sadly it's behind closed doors.

Good luck in the Derby☘️☘️☘️

Edited by Lemondropkid

Great run from Hot Rod @Kathmandu

Got 10/1 in the UK yesterday-  paid 2/1 on the place, hope you had the show😊

Fantastic to see 51,838 people there, and well done to Medina Spirit, Baffert and Johnny V. $1,000 bucks as a yearling, seems you really can dream🤑

Onto Pimlico.

Edited by Lemondropkid

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

Great run from Hot Rod @Kathmandu

Got 10/1 in the UK yesterday-  paid 2/1 on the place, hope you had the show😊

Fantastic to see 51,838 people there, and well done to Medina Spirit, Baffert and Johnny V. $1,000 bucks as a yearling, seems you really can dream🤑

Onto Pimlico.

I played the exacta and was fortunate to get two really nice priced horses in there (Medina Spirit 12-1 and Mandaloun 26-1). Paid $250.00 for a $1.00 bet. 

Game effort from Hot Rod Charlie, just came up a little short. Very thrilling race!

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/09/trainer-mystified-after-kentucky-derby-winner-medina-spirit-fails-drug-test

Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit faces disqualification after failed drug test

I like the trainer Bob Baffert but when I saw the headline, honestly wasn't the least bit surprised.

There seems to be issues surrounding medication in US racing that don't seem to be going away.  Hopefully some good may come out this.

6 hours ago, Stillearly said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/09/trainer-mystified-after-kentucky-derby-winner-medina-spirit-fails-drug-test

Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit faces disqualification after failed drug test

6 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

I like the trainer Bob Baffert but when I saw the headline, honestly wasn't the least bit surprised.

There seems to be issues surrounding medication in US racing that don't seem to be going away.  Hopefully some good may come out this.

They'll need to do a 2nd test on the original blood sample before we move forward. 

I'm going to hold off comment until then.  

I gotta go on air with Baffert next week, as I'm the Horse Racing Senior Analyst for KSRO's The Drive. NOT looking forward to it!

• Great Info 1

On 5/9/2021 at 7:25 AM, Lemondropkid said:

There seems to be issues surrounding medication in US racing that don't seem to be going away.  Hopefully some good may come out this

I doubt it. As I remember, he has been caught, what 4-5 times for the same thing over the years.

2 hours ago, Mrmango said:

I doubt it. As I remember, he has been caught, what 4-5 times for the same thing over the years.

Have to admit, not that up on US racing so didn't realise this till reading more online.That probably reflects that it didn't hit the UK racing press, that I'll read everyday.

This though has made the news here. A horse failing a drugs test in a classic is a major story. Can the US racing authorities really do nothing and allow Medina Spirit to run in the Preakness?

Personally I'd be stunned if the horse is allowed to run.

Edited by Lemondropkid

42 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

This though has made the news here. A horse failing a drugs test in a classic is a major stor

To keep it in context, from what I have read, the drug is not banned and is commonly used, but the amount in the bloodstream is limited at race time.

2 minutes ago, Mrmango said:

To keep it in context, from what I have read, the drug is not banned and is commonly used, but the amount in the bloodstream is limited at race time.

I'd feel the context is that of a classic and millions that the winner would make at stud in a normal year.

Why would international breeder send a mare to a stallion that won a Classic race with double the level of a permitted pain killer in it's bloodstream?

Also the perception that racing is a bent, people will watch races like the Kentucky Derby, the English Derby, the Melbourne Cup etc, what normally wouldn't be bothered with horse racing. If the US racing authorities take no action, and allow Medina Spirit to run in the Preakness, what are they doing to the reputation of the sport?

I've no axe to grind with Baffert, but really can't see how Medina Spirit can be allowed to take part on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

I'd feel the context is that of a classic and millions that the winner would make at stud in a normal year.

Why would international breeder send a mare to a stallion that won a Classic race with double the level of a permitted pain killer in it's bloodstream?

Also the perception that racing is a bent, people will watch races like the Kentucky Derby, the English Derby, the Melbourne Cup etc, what normally wouldn't be bothered with horse racing. If the US racing authorities take no action, and allow Medina Spirit to run in the Preakness, what are they doing to the reputation of the sport?

I've no axe to grind with Baffert, but really can't see how Medina Spirit can be allowed to take part on Saturday.

The drug in question was measured in picograms. The amount is like a grain of sand in an Olympic pool. 

6 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

The drug in question was measured in picograms. The amount is like a grain of sand in an Olympic pool. 

What seems funny to me is that it's ok to use, but not too much.

This might explain a lot...

Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit was treated with an anti-fungal ointment containing betamethasone, the substance detected in his post-Derby blood sample, up until the day prior to the race, trainer Bob Baffert said in a statement released Tuesday.

The ointment, called Otomax, was used to treat dermatitis on Medina Spirit’s hind end after his second-place finish in the April 3 Santa Anita Derby, Baffert said in the statement, which was released through his attorney. He said that he learned that the ointment contained betamethasone, a corticosteroid, on Monday, one day after announcing that Medina Spirit has tested positive for the substance after the Derby.

https://www.drf.com/news/medina-spirit-was-treated-ointment-containing-betamethasone-derby

Medina Spirit passes drug tests, cleared to run in Preakness

Medina Spirit has passed three rounds of prerace drug testing and been cleared to run in the Preakness on Saturday.

Maryland racing officials said Friday tests on the Kentucky Derby winner and fellow Bob Baffert-trained Concert Tour came back with nothing that would cause them to be scratched from the second leg of the Triple Crown. Baffert's camp agreed to rigorous testing and monitoring of his horses as a condition of entry to the Preakness.

Medina Spirit tested positive for the steroid betamethasone in post-Derby testing. If a second round of testing there comes back positive, Medina Spirit will be disqualified and Mandaloun named winner of the Derby.

Medina Spirit was set as the 9-5 morning line favorite for the Preakness and Concert Tour the 5-2 second choice in the field of 10.

• 11 months later...
9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

From this years race ..

The commentary is amazing, if you listen back to it, the commentator doesn't see the winner Rich Strike till the shadows of the winning post.

Such a shock winner it's almost like his eyes/brain have been unable to process what's happening.

• Thumbs Up 2