Bell Ringers

Nightcrawler

No, not Quasimodo😏

What has been your experience/participation of bell ringing in Pattaya or elsewhere in Thailand? 

I admit that I have done it no more than half a dozen times in 20 years and only in beer bars. Probably most of those times were just for staff. 

I always feel a bit guilty if someone rings the bell, yet find it rude, perhaps not to accept a drink and acknowledge my gratitude to the bell ringer

Personally, I think its, a waste of money, but I understand that for many, it's a spur of the moment reaction. 

Waste of time checking the Bill afterwards as all an sundry will have a drink, even the cleaner turns up from nowhere😊😊

Maybe I am just a tight wad, but it's a very easy way to blow cash in 10 minutes

Never announce your leaving day either😁

I always remember in Nevada  and Las Vegas Agogo, they used to put your name up on the wall for such things - most bell rings and bar fines 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

Happy to ring bells in beer bars , have done so many , many times over the years , normally when there are very few or no customers or other guys that are happy to do the same ... normally done in the wee small hours  of the morning 🍻🍻🍻

• Thumbs Up 4

I have done Thailand on both 3 week millionaire budget, and where 600k had to last me almost 8 months. Bought many drinks for ladies/managers/mamasans, but I believe I only rang the bell once at a smaller beer bar. Just not my thing, I’d rather slip a few big notes in a sweet hostess’s hand than buy everyone a beverage 

Whenever I hear the topic of bell ringing, I have no choice but to mention the guy in Secrets on my 1st trip in 2008. I was “only” there for 2 rounds on a weekend afternoon with a very packed house(100+) but I heard that guy blew through millions in a very short time. Hey you can’t take it with you

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not much of a bell ringer, don't normally have the cash available and living in Thailand for 15 years you tend to understand that bell ringing is for others or those with a large wallet.

Probably rung a bell less than 5 or 6 times in my life, the last time being Christmas day 2019 in Insomnia Bar, Angeles City. I was advised that I was only buying the girls on the stage a drink and as they were all dressed in sexy Santa outfits I thought it a good deal.  Only spent 14000 pesos total over a few hours but had one of the best Christmas Day drinking sessions ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

have done it many times - especialyl if having a bit of fun in a bar 🙂

last year i went in to a gc and was the only punter they had seen all day - 11 ladies on - so i did the honorable thing and rang the bell a few times - was a fun afternoon / evening all ladies naked - good fun times 🙂 - not a fan of ringing the bell for all and sundry though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've been known to ring the bell as well, but only in a beer bar where I was a regular customer and only when I was the only customer or when I knew the other customer(s) well enough. There was also that occasion where I was just chatting with the only other customer and we were alternating buying rounds. When it was my turn, I just rang the bell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chappo said:

have done it many times - especialyl if having a bit of fun in a bar 🙂

last year i went in to a gc and was the only punter they had seen all day - 11 ladies on - so i did the honorable thing and rang the bell a few times - was a fun afternoon / evening all ladies naked - good fun times 🙂 - not a fan of ringing the bell for all and sundry though.

I do the same if if the bar is quiet. Good way to make for a fun atmosphere. Great value for the money spent when it's a GC.

At King's Club if you ask they give you an RFID fob that records 10% of every bin. I wait until I've accumulated about 1,000B then buy a round. Even better value when it's basically free money that gets the party going and the ladies naked. :12:

On the rare occasion I'm the recipient of a bell ring I'll go over and say thanks. I'll also keep an eye out for when they're almost finished with their drink, at which point I'll tell the staff to get the bell ringer another of what they're drinking on my tab.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

On the rare occasion I'm the recipient of a bell ring I'll go over and say thanks.

Depends on circumstances, if he (very rarely she) is busy with a lady or in a crowd, I just try to catch his eye and raise my glass.

4 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I'll also keep an eye out for when they're almost finished with their drink, at which point I'll tell the staff to get the bell ringer another of what they're drinking on my tab.

I would have thought it needn't be mentioned, as that is natural to me, but there are some freeloaders.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Starshine said:

Never been tempted.

There is karmic pay back for ringing the bell. When I was back in Pattaya in 2009 (for the first time in eight years), my favourite watering hole was gone. Upon entering a nearby Gogo, I got my standard drink offered to me by the mamasan, who used to be the recipient of a couple of bell rings.

• Like 1

Just now, Freee!! said:

There is karmic pay back for ringing the bell. When I was back in Pattaya in 2009 (for the first time in eight years), my favourite watering hole was gone. Upon entering a nearby Gogo, I got my standard drink offered to me by the mamasan, who used to be the recipient of a couple of bell rings.

1620569181133..jpg

Thats good when it happens. There was one mamasan in a certain bar that loved a good ladydrink

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Starshine said:

Thats good when it happens. There was one mamasan in a certain bar that loved a good ladydrink

One night I was at the certain bar for three or four hours and I only bought one drink for myself, my first  ... every time it was getting empty the bar staff or a mamasan would get me another ... my one drink ended up costing me around 10k 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

One night I was at the certain bar for three or four hours and I only bought one drink for myself, my first  ... every time it was getting empty the bar staff or a mamasan would get me another ... my one drink ended up costing me around 10k 555

They were well trained

• Thumbs Up 1

I've had my name (alias) put on several mirrors around town over the years.  I've only rung the bell in beer bars and shop type bars (FLB, Scooters, Celona, etc.).  It was easy to be a few week millionaire when I was working, and it still is now that I'm retired.  Because instead of visiting Pattaya for 5 weeks at a time, I visit for  less than a week each time a few times a year.  So I'm still ringing the bell when I want to liven things up.

• Like 3

Never done done it. Never felt the urge to do it. It is annoying when you sit and enjoy a couple of girls when they out of the corner of their eyes see someone moving towards the bell, and then they rush to the stage in order to get the drinks.

Once I was in a beer bar and someone rang the bell, apparently it it was for anyone in the bar, so a girl came with shot glass and gave it to me, so turned around put on a fake smile, and gave the unknown mixture a sip. Tasted like a mix of turpentine and fox piss. 🤮

I don't mind other people ringing bells, just please leave me and my girls out of it. It is rude to interrupt - and I can buy my own drinks.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I do the same if if the bar is quiet. Good way to make for a fun atmosphere. Great value for the money spent when it's a GC.

At King's Club if you ask they give you an RFID fob that records 10% of every bin. I wait until I've accumulated about 1,000B then buy a round. Even better value when it's basically free money that gets the party going and the ladies naked. :12:

On the rare occasion I'm the recipient of a bell ring I'll go over and say thanks. I'll also keep an eye out for when they're almost finished with their drink, at which point I'll tell the staff to get the bell ringer another of what they're drinking on my tab.

lol - it was in the kings club 🙂 and yes- i treat my fob as free money - 

Once in Mistys and once in FLB years ago when the rates were much better.

Bell ringers and birthday parties etc seem to be much less frequent these days. Most parties are Bar openings or anniversaries, seldom do we see balloons in the front of a bar for an actual customer celebrating something. Also fewer bars with a "hall of fame" on the mirrors.

Guess the balloon chasers are out of work these days. I can recall a party in Mistys when a couple turned up, then got promptly told to either buy a drink back for the bloke who's party it was or F- off by Andy 🤣🤣

Edited by Butch

I have never done it personally, but being the "rock star" that I was back in the day, I felt my "bell had been rung" the next morning after 1 particular night at Insomnia. Got talked into buying bottle service for a few darlings. 

IMG1635.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

I have never done it personally, but being the "rock star" that I was back in the day, I felt my "bell had been rung" the next morning after 1 particular night at Insomnia. Got talked into buying bottle service for a few darlings. 

IMG1635.jpg

^ Looks like an interesting 'mix' there...hope you had your wallet in the safe. 😉

• Like 1

Many years ago, late at night, I took my BF to Soi 6 so she could show off her new ATM. The place was empty, so in a drunken state, I rang the bell expecting to pay for 3 drinks. Immediately we were mobbed by 10-12 girls' who worked next door or heard the bell.

First and last time.

• Haha 1