Makin Bacon

Glasseye

These guys are awesome. Saw a few videos and it’s unreal how easy they cut through a side of beef and carve up the steaks. Still always wear the chainmail, though, one slip and you can seriously injure yourself without it. 
I was thinking about buying the knife they use too, Victorinox(sp).....about $50 and sharp as hell

Edited by Golfingboy

I've been buying New Zealand tenderloins from Siamburi's over the last 9 or 10 months and butchering them into fillet steaks myself. I think I probably qualify for the title of "World's Worst Butcher", lol. The pros make it look so easy. The dogs appreciate my lousy butchering, anyway, it means there's a lot of juicy fillet attached to the chain and silverskin that I boil up for them afterwards.

Bacon cuts in Australia

Streaky bacon 

streaky%20bacon.png

Also referred to as side bacon, this cut comes from the belly or side of the pig. This is the fattiest part of the pig, and streaky bacon is distinctively different from other cuts because of its ‘streaky’ layers of fat.

Because of its high fat-to-meat ratio, it is very tasty, easier to get crisp and it shrinks when cooked as the fat renders away.

Most bacon in America and Canada is streaky bacon, and it has become more readily available in Australia. 

Short cut bacon 

short%20cut%20bacon.png

This type of bacon comes from the back of the pig. It’s a much leaner, round piece of bacon which usually doesn’t have a rind attached. It is the leanest type of bacon, with only a thin layer of fat which can be removed. 

This type of cut is more popular with health conscious people who still want to enjoy the flavour of bacon. As there is much less fat content, it doesn’t shrink as much.

Middle cut bacon 

middle%20cut%20bacon.png

This is a combination of both the shortcut and streaky bacon. The large, lean ‘eye’ comes from the back of the pig, and the skinnier ‘tail’ is from the side or belly of the pig. 

When preparing for a crowd, this cut of bacon is the best of both worlds, where those partial to streaky bacon can have their fill and those who prefer shortcut bacon don’t miss out.

Middle cut bacon can be purchased with or without rind.

I find it impossible to get decent bacon from the factory small goods producers nowadays 'cause there's more profit in jacking up the weight with sugared water. It's impossible to get the middle cuts to go crispy, firstly they throw off so much water when pan cooking that you have to drain off the water or end up with boiled bacon. Then they turn brown/black as the sugar caramelizes without going crispy.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:37 PM, Golfingboy said:

These guys are awesome. Saw a few videos and it’s unreal how easy they cut through a side of beef and carve up the steaks. Still always wear the chainmail, though, one slip and you can seriously injure yourself without it. 
I was thinking about buying the knife they use too, Victorinox(sp).....about $50 and sharp as hell

Victorinox knives i.e. Swiss are amazing ..... as are all their products. Golfing mate they do these tiny nail clippers beyond belief how good they are .... come on chaps we all need good nail and toe clippers as modern men !!! 

4 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Victorinox knives i.e. Swiss are amazing ..... as are all their products. Golfing mate they do these tiny nail clippers beyond belief how good they are .... come on chaps we all need good nail and toe clippers as modern men !!! 

They've become indispensable. 

As I have gotten less flexible I don't have as much time when grasping for my toes. I need a tool that can take care of business in as short a time as possible. 

I miss having the ladies from the place across from Patrick's Steakhouse doing my pedicures. Ahhh, how I look forward to getting back to the simple things.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1