Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Nightcrawler

What a f*cking joke. 

Sure, the UKs entry was not brilliant and certainly did not represent British music, but compared to some of the absolute rubbish from some counties, it was more than passable.

Its so Political these days and the rest of Europe must really despise us. Brexit, being the most obvious reasons.

Even Ireland didn't give us a single point. Its laughable, what farce that seems to grow bigger every year. 

It's not over yet but I suspect by the end, that UK will have zero points and come last. 

One thing  is clear and that is that Euro vision has f*ck all to do with music as we know it. Absolute bollocks as usual

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Nightcrawler changed the title to Eurovision Song Contest 2021
2 minutes ago, boydeste said:

It's been biased ever since I first watched it many years ago.

Terry Wogan used to take the piss brilliantly.

The question for me is, why are we still in it?

That's part of the fun imho  

Graham Norton is as good as Wogan ever was ....

it's great entertainment 

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

What a f*cking joke. 

Sure, the UKs entry was not brilliant and certainly did not represent British music, but compared to some of the absolute rubbish from some counties, it was more than passable.

Its so Political these days and the rest of Europe must really despise us. Brexit, being the most obvious reasons.

Even Ireland didn't give us a single point. Its laughable, what farce that seems to grow bigger every year. 

It's not over yet but I suspect by the end, that UK will have zero points and come last. 

One thing  is clear and that is that Euro vision has f*ck all to do with music as we know it. Absolute bollocks as usual

It isn't about Brexit, it is about being completely and totally out of tune with what the rest of Europe (and Australia) wishes to hear and see. In case you didn't notice, the bottom four (including the Netherlands) were all countries that placed directly for the grand final of tonight. Surprisingly, the other two of those countries placed first and second. Luckily Stefania Liberakakis was able to soften the blow a bit for the Dutch with her 10th place.

EDIT: See also https://www.rug.nl/news/2021/05/mapping-favouritism-at-the-eurovision-song-contest-does-it-impact-the-results

Edited by Freee!!
  • Like 1

I truely and honestly cannot imagine why anybody would wish to watch the eurovision " UK - nil points" song contest for the songs?

I think I turned it off when our contestant was singing something about a "jack in the box" and I have not watched it since. 🤣

Edited by Jambo

2 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I truely and honestly cannot imagine why anybody would wish to watch the eurovision " UK - nil points" song contest for the songs?

I think I turned it off when our contestant was singing something about a "jack in the box" and I have not watched it since. 🤣

The quality has gone up a bit since then, every couple of years there is a clear, deserved winner. And it brings back memories of long ago, when I was still sweet and innocent 😉 (and double meanings even in Dutch zoomed straight over my head).

3 hours ago, Freee!! said:

It isn't about Brexit . . . . .

That comment should be in the "Jokes to raise a smile?" thread.

You and your countrymen may not be bitter but many are.

No decent mainstream UK artists would ever put themselves forward for Eurovision these days. . It's usually unknowns now with a song especially written for Eurovision. 

The winning song will probably sell in Italy and become No. 1 and in some surrounding Latin speaking countries, but I doubt we shall be hearing it much on the radio here. 

Abba did well back in the day though and it launched their careers. 

Oh well, next year to look forward too 😁😁😁

Maybe there will be a Eurovision Vaccine contest? 

No decent mainstream UK artists would ever put themselves forward for Eurovision these days. . It's usually unknowns now with a song especially written for Eurovision. 

The winning song will probably sell in Italy and become No. 1 and in some surrounding Latin speaking countries, but I doubt we shall be hearing it much on the radio here. 

I think the UK is winning that one    😁😁😁

And that is the problem, the Dutch had the same problem until somebody (Anouk) decided to change it in 2013. After that, more good Dutch artists tried, resulting in a second place for The Common Linnets in 2014 (better song than the winner, but less of a show) and a first place in 2019.

I don't think it is that great either, but there have been worse winners.

Duncan Laurence (2019) had his career launched as well and there are more.

Maybe the UK will see the light and send a good act instead of a joke.

The winners of that will be Israel and Serbia.

Just now, Freee!! said:

Wrong guess, Israel already has won that one with Serbia in a very decent second place.

Ok, that is one of the strange things about the Eurovision song contest, no requirement to be in Europe. Israel, Morocco and Australia ????

10 minutes ago, bob lt said:

Ok, that is one of the strange things about the Eurovision song contest, no requirement to be in Europe. Israel, Morocco and Australia ????

Don't forget Cyprus, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbeidjan 😉 The only requirement is a current, paid up membership of the EBU (European Broadcast Union). And that organization hasn't been very strict about the "European" part since sometime in the sixties (Israel and Cyprus). As for Morocco, that country hasn't participated since 1980.

16 minutes ago, Pinoydave said:

At the end of the day it comes down to jealousy…….. Elton John has probably sold more records on his own than the rest of Europe combined !!

I am afraid ABBA alone already sold more.

• Haha 1