Awful

Glasseye

I took a cable car to the top of a mountain in Canada and I did not like it at all.

I watched my wife go flying up in the air in a "sling shot" in Singapore.

On cable snap away from disaster.

Not a fan of cable cars.  Took one to get to the 'Heights Of Abraham' in the Peak District in England and never felt comfortable especially when going over the pylons.

Only the other day my wife was telling me she felt scared on them and never wanted to go on one again, how ironic that days later this should happen. She has now doubled down that she won't be getting in one.

Luckily neither of us go skiing where the possibility of needing to go on a cable car or chair system is normal.

I've been in a couple of cable cars (all touristic, no skiing for me) and I am also not really fond of the experience, but it usually is the way to go to certain destinations. 

As accidents with cable cars are pretty rare and this clearly was a (lack of) maintenance issue and this isn't the first of its kind in Italy in recent memory (Ponte Morandi, Genua, 14 August 2018), I think I will just avoid Italy.

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

I've been in a couple of cable cars (all touristic, no skiing for me) and I am also not really fond of the experience, but it usually is the way to go to certain destinations. 

As accidents with cable cars are pretty rare and this clearly was a (lack of) maintenance issue and this isn't the first of its kind in Italy in recent memory (Ponte Morandi, Genua, 14 August 2018), I think I will just avoid Italy.

I skied almost everyday in the winter for 20 years (1/3 of them employed full-time as an instructor & race coach). Cable cars & gondolas were a luxury compared to old style, slow, 2-person chairlifts. Often, the ride was high above cliffs in the middle of blizzards - high winds & driving snow.

Some of the best years of my life.

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 3