Thai's first, then farlangs.

Jambo

I was having an interesting conversation with a friend yesterday about whether we will actually be able to register next month for a covid vaccination. He mentioned somebody who had actually been able to register using the Thai only App due to having one of the small number of special ID's or whatever. Three days after registering he received a message advising that he had been removed from the register as "Thai's must come first."

When my friend expressed displeasure at what happened  his wife she stated unequivocally "No, that's right - all Thai's first!"

My friend pointed out that the virus doesn't care if one is Thai or farlang so it is in everybody's interest for all to get vaccinated. "No, Thai's first."

I tried testing that on my wife ( has had 2 vaccinations) who could not understand what I was saying. " No, Thai's come first. Mum not had her first vaccination yet!"

At one level I can understand that sentiment as we are guests in this country and should not expect special treatment. My wife's comment has as much to do with the fact that she blames the government for making a complete pigs ear of the vaccination process. Well, it was not totally the Government she was blaming as much as you know who.

Maybe we will be able to register next month or maybe we will not. It seems the private hospitals are expecting to be open for vaccination trade ( 3,000 baht?) soon as at least one is currently accepting registrations. Well, they accepted mine by email.

I have no problem with the Thai govt wanting to vaccinate their citizens first. Where I do have an issue is when the same govt won't allow our embassies to provide vaccinations to their respective citizens, nor allow private hospitals to acquire the vaccine through other channels.

• Thumbs Up 2

My 'baby mama' is an undocumented Thai living & working in the US. She had no issues getting her Covid shots. Even got them in the early group as she works doing Thai massage, (aka 'health care worker').

Next time I see her I'll ask about the "Thai first, farang last" policy in TH and see what she says.

Edited by lazarus
  • Thumbs Up 1

I feel for ya Jambo, when you go up against your other half and her country (even though it's just a suggestion) you face a losing the argument no matter how much logic you throw that way. I've seen it with friends and their partners- not worth the headache mostly.

But did you know that in the UK, they offered the vaccine to everyone in the order they released in terms of high risk categories and order of occupation. Even undocumented people are asked to come forward with no risk of further action taken against them. This is for the sake of keeping everyone safe. That policy should be everywhere- not sure what the plan is exactly over here.  I must admit- the way they (Thai Gov) have got people in quarantine and how they have dealt with it, is pretty good. Quite pricey though!

But on the other side, it would be nice if our governments recognise that we expats are not going to fly back to our home countries just to get the vaccine and deal with heavy costs due to quarantine and risk not being able to come back. Whether it's the UK (my home), USA, Canada, Australia or wherever you are from- I think the Embassy's or whoever need to help us with getting shots into our arms. Hope someone can keep us updated when we can do that here. 

Good luck all!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My (thai) wife thinks that all should be able to get the vaccine regardless of race or age - but she is angry with the government for not allowing those who want and can pay to be able to procure their own vaccines (ie from Private hospitals) - she runs our massage shop and realizes that without external tourists then we cannot make any money.

She says that the Thai government has let people down as they did not order any vaccines until far too late as they (Thai Government) wanted to make their own vaccines to make their own money and be the 'hero' government. 

She has already had one jab (sinovac). I did explain that they should be giving vaccine to the elderly and at risk first as they are the ones likely to die - but she just says - 'should be all by queue'

Thank f**k I'm not living in Thailand just now , makes you realise not that I dodnt know already what they all think deep down

ThaiRakThai

Meanwhile in the U.K everybody matter what skin colour , nationality originally or whatever is able to get the Vax when it comes to their turn.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

My mate in Udon has registered and is scheduled to get the JAB on 13 June. He has a yellow book and the pink Thai ID card and registered on line with no problems. They phoned him and verified the data on the phone. At no time was "Thai First" mentioned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Man said:

My mate in Udon has registered and is scheduled to get the JAB on 13 June. He has a yellow book and the pink Thai ID card and registered on line with no problems. They phoned him and verified the data on the phone. At no time was "Thai First" mentioned.

Same is occurring over my way. Also a Health Official along with the District and Village Headmen have been around getting the names of all the over 60yo to be first up for the jab...be it Thai or farang...all can have it.

The Health Official was asked if there was a choice of what vaccine you get and the answer was the one that was supplied to them.

cheers 

11 hours ago, KWA said:

Falangs getting their jabs in some places already so I suspect any rules are open to interpretation.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1218123-delighted-expats-in-korat-receive-first-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine/

Well that is the one and only time I will ever log into thaivisa forum.

It reminded me of Hotel California lyrics  " You can check out but you can never leave."

Nothing but bloody arguments. I now know where ........I've forgotten his name...... the pain in the ass drunk from the Bali jungle went to after he got banned. 🤣

• Haha 1

I think they want to achieve 'herd' immunity - by vaccinating the Thai's and then the Farang will automatically be protected by herd immunity - so no need to waste any money on farang 🙂

22 hours ago, Chappo said:

I think they want to achieve 'herd' immunity - by vaccinating the Thai's and then the Farang will automatically be protected by herd immunity - so no need to waste any money on farang 🙂

I forsee LK Metro becoming one of those ultra red zone covid internment camps ringed with barbed wire before that happens.

"Oh yeh; Oh yeh

Bring out your dead

Bring out your dead!"

• Haha 1