Is there a way to "preview" my post or topic?

Butch

I replied to one of JL's posts today, hoping to embed a gif, the issue is that when i posted the reply it was just a bundle of code, if we had a "preview" option we could then preview our posts and edit them in order to get it right.

It should "preview" in the comments box itself. What you see there should be exactly what shows when you hit the Submit Reply button

Have you had this problem before?

If there's a problem specifically with gifs I will try find out but this is the first time i have read this issue - on any of the 4 forums so Im not really sure of an answer.

• Thanks 1

Whitespider:

Using the "quote tab" this is the screenshot (#1) of typing a reply post with the option of adding attachments. Attachments do not have a preview option other than a small icon on the bottom of the post (#2).

For those that add photos, etc., the ability to "preview" would alleviate going back to correct and make edits.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• Like 1

The preview button is the right most icon in the message toolbar.
Screen Shot 06-11-21 at 08.27 AM.JPG

You can either drag a photo from your File Folder into the body of the message or into the area below the message for "Uploaded Images". If in the Upload Images area, position your cursor within the message where you want the image to appear and then click on the Insert Into Post icon on the photo you want to add.
Screen Shot 06-11-21 at 08.27 AM 001.JPG

If you drag photo files into the Upload Images area, but don't click and add them to the message body, when you click on Submit Reply they'll automatically be added to the end of your message.

Gif's work the same way.
giphy.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, lazarus said:

Whitespider:

Using the "quote tab" this is the screenshot (#1) of typing a reply post with the option of adding attachments. Attachments do not have a preview option other than a small icon on the bottom of the post (#2).

For those that add photos, etc., the ability to "preview" would alleviate going back to correct and make edits.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Thanks I will try and have a look into this as it’s different for me. In the comment box I see “everything” I’m postings - including

Quoted post

My text

Any image or gif I’m adding

Do you know if it’s always been this way here or if it’s just started recently?

WS

11 hours ago, lazarus said:

Whitespider:

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

@lazarus

Where you say “small icon at the bottom of the post” (for images) can I assume you are clicking the + sign in that icon to actually add it into the post? 

If you are it’s odd. If you are not, you need to.

See image below - you need to click the + sign circled to add the image into the comment box itself.

You place the cursor where you want each image - then click that +. This way you can add as many images as you want, where you want them, AND they show in the comments box in the position you inserted them i.e. they are "previewed".

If you dont do this they simply add as "attachments" at the end of your post, not in the positions you may actually want them.

Plus sign.PNG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitespider said:

Thanks I will try and have a look into this as it’s different for me. In the comment box I see “everything” I’m postings - including

Quoted post

My text

Any image or gif I’m adding

Do you know if it’s always been this way here or if it’s just started recently?

WS

@lazarus correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read your post is you uploaded the pictures, but didn't insert them into the post. Thus the reason you only see the thumbnail pic at the bottom of the post. That being the case, clicking on the Preview icon would allow you to see how the post would look if you didn't manually insert the pictures where you want them in the post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

@lazarus correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read your post is you uploaded the pictures, but didn't insert them into the post. Thus the reason you only see the thumbnail pic at the bottom of the post. That being the case, clicking on the Preview icon would allow you to see how the post would look if you didn't manually insert the pictures where you want them in the post.

Our posts crossed - thats what I meant @lazarus

22 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

18 minutes ago, Whitespider said:

Our posts crossed - thats what I meant @lazarus

Got it. Thanks. 👍

10 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Cut and pasted this, previewed it, posted it...

Lesson learned!

74406397_10221096510141965_929953190877593600_n.jpg

Thanks bud

Hopefully other guys will read all this and pick up the tips. I would be pretty sure this caused Butch’s issue too ie “add file” then “click insert” (+)

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, bob lt said:

The only anomaly I have found is when adding a hyperlink, if you wish to check it while composing a post it is not live. I post, check, then edit if required, no big deal.

I have checked this and you are correct. There “should” be an option to select “rich” or “plain” text and the rich option would show the site/link info in the comments box.

I will ask the admins here as there may be a reason why they have the “rich text” setting turned off. That’s a simple fix but as I say I need to see if the admins had a reason to turn that off.

2 minutes ago, Whitespider said:

I have checked this and you are correct. There “should” be an option to select “rich” or “plain” text and the rich option would show the site/link info in the comments box.

I will ask the admins here as there may be a reason why they have the “rich text” setting turned off. That’s a simple fix but as I say I need to see if the admins had a reason to turn that off.

As you no doubt discovered, I get "hold control and right click for more options" never tried, as I said my option was post, check and if I cocked it up, edit. 

With some quotes I do get a warning posted as "rich" text and an option to change to "plain" text.

It was merely an observation not a complaint. I'm a strong believer in if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hey, I did learn about the preview button so all good here.  :default_good:

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, bob lt said:

As you no doubt discovered, I get "hold control and right click for more options" never tried, as I said my option was post, check and if I cocked it up, edit. 

With some quotes I do get a warning posted as "rich" text and an option to change to "plain" text.

It was merely an observation not a complaint. I'm a strong believer in if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hey, I did learn about the preview button so all good here.  :default_good:

Ok cool I will leave it...... because

I have checked the settings and it’s turned ON so I’m not sure why it doesn’t propagate in the comments box. I have a feeling this has been set as a default as it’s the same over on PA now.

• Like 2

Hi,

Thanks for the info guys, sorry if this has caused any issues / headaches.

FWIW for adding the "gif" image, I switched from "source" to "code" (top left icon) and pasted the "gif" code into the post and it worked, however, when on "plain text" it just literally posted the code for the gif and not the gif itself.

I hadn't noticed the "preview" icon on the top right, I think it's probably because I post on another "Nissan / Datsun" forum where the option to "preview" a post is next to the "submit reply" button for us non techies 🙂 Different software I guess.

Many thanks , and a virtual ice cold SM light to all of you, or a real one hopefully sometime in the future !.

15 hours ago, Butch said:

Hi,

Thanks for the info guys, sorry if this has caused any issues / headaches.

FWIW for adding the "gif" image, I switched from "source" to "code" (top left icon) and pasted the "gif" code into the post and it worked, however, when on "plain text" it just literally posted the code for the gif and not the gif itself.

I hadn't noticed the "preview" icon on the top right, I think it's probably because I post on another "Nissan / Datsun" forum where the option to "preview" a post is next to the "submit reply" button for us non techies 🙂 Different software I guess.

Many thanks , and a virtual ice cold SM light to all of you, or a real one hopefully sometime in the future !.

Pleased you got it sorted bud.

FWIW the “best” way, and over time the easiest way, to add gifs would be as an attached file not as code I.e save it to your comp and add as you would an image. 

That said using the code is ok as you have discovered. 

• Great Info 2