Pattaya and other parts of Thailand - Past and Present Visits. (Updated 20th July 2023)

54 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Great photos as usual and really appreciate the effort you put in.

Is it Royal Garden Plaza or Central Plaza?

A labour of love by a dedicated photographer and much appreciated.

Sadly the photo's chronicle Pattaya as the equivalent of a dead man walking.They kept reminding me of that film "I Legend" where all the human inhabitants were gone and just the decaying city remained.

Imagine what it is going to be like by the end of the year when all the small shopkeepers have given up.

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

A labour of love by a dedicated photographer and much appreciated.

Sadly the photo's chronicle Pattaya as the equivalent of a dead man walking.They kept reminding me of that film "I Legend" where all the human inhabitants were gone and just the decaying city remained.

Imagine what it is going to be like by the end of the year when all the small shopkeepers have given up.

i think its in sleep mode - most mothballed until customers come back. Im trying to find other places to rent - but the owners and landlords want stupid money / key money or unrealistic rents. 

I looked at the old Eden massage on Soi Diana - and they wanted 2 million key money and 67k rent DURING covid - i told them they were having a joke. I also was looking at the old wetherspoons - and they wanted 85k a month rent - and the agent said the floors above are 'derelict' and would require significant work (holes in roof on the top floor aparently) - needless to say i didnt bother going any further 🙂

the real winners are the landlords and the owner-tennants as they can afford to just sit on it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, john luke said:

The fruit sellers in the car parking area to the rear of Mike's Mall appear to have been a casualty.

untitled-1049.jpg

Not surprised TBH.

They obviously targeted tourists, as i doubt many Thais would pay the prices they tried to charge.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

15 hours ago, Jambo said:

Well there is the elephant in the room.

The most optimistic hope might be that sometime in December Thailand completely removes the quarantine requirement for all tourists who can demonstrate that they have had both covid vaccinations. So there will be maybe a month or so when "customers" for the Bar and Club scene are flooding back into Pattaya for their pussy fix.

The great unknown is what happens after that initial rush. It is so easy to forget that prior to Covid most entertainment venue owners were bemoaning the fact that it had never been quieter in Town. What has happened since to make anyone think we will EVER see the numbers of visitors return to anything like pre- 2019 numbers?

That does not mean to say those that do come will not enjoy themselves. I would imagine that the Soi Bukhou; L K Metro area will see the concentrations of visitors and expats having a good time whilst Walking Street turns itself into family China Town.

But what do I know! 🤣

completely agree - i want the families and the small tour groups back - as they are the people more likely to visit the wife's massage shop than the pussy hungry sexpat. Cant see this happening until next year though - maybe Songkran 2022 will be a start. Until then its just a get by and minimise spend on our shop.

• Like 1

untitled-1152.jpg

Adjacent to Soi Diana.

untitled-1146.jpg

untitled-1151.jpg

untitled-1162.jpg

untitled-1161.jpg

Cannabis derivative  shops are certainly appearing.  Another later in Tree Town.

untitled-1173.jpg

untitled-1163.jpg

untitled-1164.jpg

It seems strange to me to open a food shop next door to others selling exactly the same type of food.

untitled-1165.jpg

untitled-1166.jpg

untitled-1167.jpg

untitled-1170.jpg

untitled-1171.jpg

untitled-1180.jpg

Very Closed for the moment.

untitled-1181.jpg

untitled-1182.jpg

untitled-1172.jpg

untitled-1174.jpg

untitled-1175.jpg

untitled-1176.jpg

untitled-1177.jpg

untitled-1179.jpg

untitled-1183.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, john luke said:

[...]

It seems strange to me to open a food shop next door to others selling exactly the same type of food.

The result of the Thai schooling system, original thought is not rewarded, blindly copying (approved results) is.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Freee!! said:

The result of the Thai schooling system, original thought is not rewarded, blindly copying (approved results) is.

bit more of a story to this one - the original guy who had smokin joes / steak and co sold it to another guy (and the other guy didnt get any sort of no-competition clause in the sale apparently). He then opened the hungry panda Chinese and grill next door to his old shop - been some shite on facebook about it ...

The guy who owns Hungry panda is actually a nice chap 🙂 

My opinion - I would just would not do business in Pattaya with any farang 🙂🙂 

Naklua Road towards the Beach.  A few nice hotels near the beach.  Some distance shots across the beach.  A wal 1k back along Soi 1 and back to Naklua Road.  Overall some closures but mqtched by refurbishment and redevelopment.

untitled-1239.jpg

untitled-1240.jpg

untitled-1241.jpg

untitled-1242.jpg

untitled-1243.jpg

untitled-1245.jpg

untitled-1246.jpg

untitled-1247.jpg

untitled-1248.jpg

untitled-1249.jpg

untitled-1250.jpg

untitled-1251.jpg

untitled-1252.jpg

untitled-1253.jpg

untitled-1254.jpg

untitled-1255.jpg

untitled-1258.jpg

untitled-1260.jpg

untitled-1261.jpg

untitled-1262.jpg

untitled-1263.jpg

untitled-1264.jpg

untitled-1265.jpg

untitled-1266.jpg

untitled-1267.jpg

untitled-1268.jpg

untitled-1269.jpg

untitled-1270.jpg

untitled-1271.jpg

untitled-1272.jpg

untitled-1280.jpg

untitled-1281.jpg

untitled-1283.jpg

untitled-1284.jpg

untitled-1285.jpg

untitled-1286.jpg

untitled-1288.jpg

untitled-1290.jpg

untitled-1291.jpg

untitled-1292.jpg

untitled-1293.jpg

untitled-1294.jpg

untitled-1295.jpg

untitled-1297.jpg

untitled-1299.jpg

untitled-1300.jpg

untitled-1301.jpg

untitled-1302.jpg

untitled-1305.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 4:09 PM, Nightcrawler said:

Butch will be interested in the last set of photos, as a regular visitor of Dream Boys. 

I have it on good authority that he holds the record for those most Barfines ever

😁😁😁

Lol, The cheeky buggers also removed my Platinum Card membership 🤣

I admit I'm not surprised that Penthouse Hotel is on the block. I think it was on borrowed time even pre covid. Although back in the day it was a stalwart of Pattayaland 2 with the attached GGB, it had its day many moons ago.I don't think it'll sell very quickly either,and when it does, expect it to be demolished and make way for another , better and possibly "chain owned" Hotel, as that part of town is very neglected with regards bars and tourists, despite the location being half decent in relation to the beach and Walking St.

I feel bad for the likes of Classroom, Shamrock and Palmers, who most probably rely upon customer loyalty and returning customers more than anything else these days. I had some good times on those bars in the past.

A prediction for this area of town might be that Boyztown and Pattayaland 2 will die a death and become another casualty, another Soi of faceless development.

Great pics JL, illustrating nicely how town is at the moment, seeing the massage girls turning up for work in the hope of maybe one customer in a day is heartbreaking. Thanks for taking the time to post, and also thanks for going to the less well trodden areas of town, I think these areas illustrate how bad things really are at the moment.

• Like 1

A few from this afternoon.

Central Festival.  I don't know whether there is a gay pride procession scheduled for the near future.  Always very colourful events.

untitled-1466.jpg

untitled-1467.jpg

untitled-1468.jpg

untitled-1469.jpg

untitled-1471.jpg

untitled-1472.jpg

More for Striderman to feed.

untitled-1479.jpg

untitled-1480.jpg

First opening today as far as I am aware.

untitled-1481.jpg

The above and below are new.

untitled-1482.jpg

untitled-1485.jpg

untitled-1467.jpg

untitled-1468.jpg

untitled-1473.jpg

untitled-1474.jpg

untitled-1476.jpg

untitled-1466.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

Just a general question John. Obviously there are few women to be seen about, are there many freelancers to be seen, like on Beach Road etc or have they too disappeared along with bar girls as a result of shut downs and lack of Tourists? 

I think the answer is yes, but there are few and far between.  I suspect there are ongoing arrangements made on line or by telephone.

I have not walked/ridden on the full length of Beach Road any time after dark, so my answer is to some degree qualified.  

I left quarantine the Saturday before last; so I have been out for 10 days.  I had been thinking that the place was busier than it was during last week.  The massage parlours opened this Monday gone and that creates a busier look.  Going out for dinner this evening Mrs JL commented, saying there appeared more people around than before.  She has been in Pattaya for about three weeks now.

The bars, except those serving food are currently closed.  I did notice over the last few days that there seemed to be more coffee and cake shops open and to some degree they appeared to be taking over the role of the bars.  

Overall the place is quiet; there are a number of ‘rough sleepers’.  The shops/malls are quieter but certainly not deserted.  There is no shortage of food; the delivery motor cycles are having a roaring trade.  

As far as closures go, 7/11 appear to have fared better than Family Mart.  There are a lot of building construction ongoing.  The bars and shops that have been abandoned tend to be the semi outdoor variety.  

At the moment I have no regrets at coming over here when I did.

I am also told Sanctuary of Truth, Mini Siam and others are open, so looking forward to visiting those.

• Great Info 3