The future

Bazle

Like most people, I get annoyed when I am bombarded by advertisements for something I may have looked at online recently, but I got a bit of a shock the other day when two people I have met socially recently and exchanged phone numbers with appeared on my Facebook in the "People You May Know" listing - yet more evidence of just how interconnected all modern digital info really is...

I recently closed 2 accounts with Domestic and General (Insurance). I did this on a phone call (using my Samsun A10) to their free 0800 number.  On going on to my Lenovo laptop a while later and going on Facebook I was staring straight at an advert for Domestic and General offering 20% discount to insure any appliances. Never seen that ad before and it is too much of a coincidence not to believe that D and G and Facebook must have used some of my data during that phone call earlier to generate that ad.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

I recently closed 2 accounts with Domestic and General (Insurance). I did this on a phone call (using my Samsun A10) to their free 0800 number.  On going on to my Lenovo laptop a while later and going on Facebook I was staring straight at an advert for Domestic and General offering 20% discount to insure any appliances. Never seen that ad before and it is too much of a coincidence not to believe that D and G and Facebook must have used some of my data during that phone call earlier to generate that ad.

This is a good documentary about how our privacy is basically zero online and how we are targeted by advertising etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Or did you just use your laptop to browse the D&G website to get the contact information or account closure procedure.

6 hours ago, fygjam said:

Or did you just use your laptop to browse the D&G website to get the contact information or account closure procedure.

I had their Freephone number in my mobile for the last 18 months. I never looked up D and G in my laptop or phone. I had the plans printed off in my filing cabinet and just called them and referred to my plan number although my name and phone number/address gave them my details anyway. 

They did try to resell the plan over the phone as a good deal with great additions but I was adamant that I was cancelling. I didn't do anything digitally on their website or online before the call at all so I was rather shocked to see the ad. Something occurred, something generated the ad.

37 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I had their Freephone number in my mobile for the last 18 months. I never looked up D and G in my laptop or phone. I had the plans printed off in my filing cabinet and just called them and referred to my plan number although my name and phone number/address gave them my details anyway. 

They did try to resell the plan over the phone as a good deal with great additions but I was adamant that I was cancelling. I didn't do anything digitally on their website or online before the call at all so I was rather shocked to see the ad. Something occurred, something generated the ad.

I forgot the most obvious one. Same email address?

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

It did. D&G logged your call in their database, which is no doubt accessible to the others, so you got flagged as someone (probably) renewing/enquiring about insurance.

Its all very sneaky but there’s logic behind the madness however distasteful it seems. 

• Thumbs Up 1