Any interest in UFOs here with all the 'disclosures'?

Tommaso_Turek

10 hours ago, Tommaso_Turek said:

and.. Watson and Crick, walking in an English forest, somehow  'envisioned' the DNA double helix. 

Did Rosalind Franklin go on that stroll through the forest or was she too busy working on her X-ray crystallography photographs of the DNA molecule?

It (photo 51) was shown by Maurice Wilkins of King's College to James Watson at the Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge, who said "my mouth fell open and my pulse began to race".

6 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

If an alien race has developed the technology needed for interstellar travel, I'm sure they would also have developed ways of hiding the presence  of their vessels from cameras in the hands of Earth-bound amateurs or even cameras mounted on Navy jets.  Give alien space travelers a bit of credit for taking basic security measures.  :default_biggrin:

Evil

I would hope that they brought a map with them as well. None of this flying into the ground nonsense.

Quote from the Hitchhikers Guide:

"A teaser? Teasers are usually rich kids with nothing to do. They cruise around looking for planets which haven't made interstellar contact yet and buzz them."

"Buzz them?" Arthur began to feel that Ford was enjoying making life difficult for him. "Yeah", said Ford, "they buzz them. They find some isolated spot with very few people around, then land right by some poor soul whom no one's ever going to believe and then strut up and down in front of him wearing silly antennae on their heads and making beep beep noises. Rather childish really." Ford leant back on the mattress with his hands behind his head and looked infuriatingly pleased with himself.

Whilst I find the topic a bit in the boys comic era of the fifties, its a forum serving wide and varied views. No reason for like minded people not to share an interest and discuss.

Those who criticise take the piss etc.. should maybe restrict themselves to topics they are interested in.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, john1000 said:

Whilst I find the topic a bit in the boys comic era of the fifties, its a forum serving wide and varied views. No reason for like minded people not to share an interest and discuss.

Those who criticise take the piss etc.. should maybe restrict themselves to topics they are interested in.

Whilst i agree it's healthy for a forum to have wide and varied views, and personally i have no problem with the posts, equally, posters are allowed to give their views in response. 

That's the way it works, them's the rules ...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Whilst i agree it's healthy for a forum to have wide and varied views, and personally i have no problem with the posts, equally, posters are allowed to give their views in response. 

That's the way it works, them's the rules ...

Giving personal views on a topic yes, but attacking those for having those views was really the point I was making. 

I realize this thread was started as a provocation or wind-up, but for BMs who want to keep the tinfoil hats in a row:  credible evidence for the existence of UFOs is totally lacking.  No convincing photos, videos or personal accounts of UFO sightings have ever held up to scrutiny.

Most reports of UFOs are simple mistakes in which well-meaning people have misinterpreted natural phenomena or manmade objects they've seen. Most often it's lights on aircraft or sunlight reflected off airplane wings that's thought to be spacecraft. Sometimes it's artifacts or distortions  caused by the camera's lens; other times the distance and angle at which the object is viewed, atmospheric conditions at the time and the speed of travel have combined to turn normal objects, whether aircraft, hot-air balloons or flights of birds, into what the viewer believes is a UFO.

Some cases are indeed deliberate hoaxes intended as jokes or money-making opportunities.  The emergence of computer generated imagery (CGI) programs has made it easier for amateurs to produce authentic-looking photos and videos, but these are always debunked by CGI experts. 

A very few UFO reports and/or photos haven't been totally debunked, but that doesn't mean they are proof of UFOs by default. It just means there's not enough information available at this time to explain them one way or the other.

All reports of alien abductions have been proven to be hoaxes or the product of delusional thinking by mentally ill individuals.  A woman who says she has been kidnapped and taken aboard an alien spacecraft is the equivalent of Gabor claiming to have gotten top gogo stunners for 1,000 baht: something they wished had happened but never did.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 2

On 6/30/2021 at 6:22 PM, Evil Penevil said:

If an alien race has developed the technology needed for interstellar travel, I'm sure they would also have developed ways of hiding the presence  of their vessels from cameras in the hands of Earth-bound amateurs or even cameras mounted on Navy jets.  Give alien space travelers a bit of credit for taking basic security measures.  :default_biggrin:

Evil

Like the Romulans  and Klingons using cloaked ships?image.jpeg

image.jpeg

19 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

credible evidence for the existence of UFOs is totally lacking.  No convincing photos, videos or personal accounts of UFO sightings have ever held up to scrutiny.

I don't think that that is correct. Some reports have held up, which is why the recent US military report was inconclusive. DW have quite a good video on the subject - 

3 hours ago, john luke said:

Like the Romulans  and Klingons using cloaked ships?

That may be a possibility for a civilization with advanced interstellar technology, but I was thinking more along the lines of a vessel remaining in deep orbit and remotely scanning the surface of the planet for information.  They could also launch tiny, tiny drones to gather information.  No need to move a large vessel into the Earth's atmosphere.

Evil

8 hours ago, Peroni said:

itsthere.jpg

That's a meme based on Russell's Teapot, a philosophical argument put forth by British philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell to show by way of analogy that because the existence of God can't be disproved, there's still no reason to believe God exists.  The analogy can be applied equally well to UFOs.

Basically, Russell is saying it's up to believers to prove something exists, rather than for non-believers to prove it doesn't. 

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

On 7/3/2021 at 5:30 AM, Bazle said:

I don't think that that is correct. Some reports have held up, which is why the recent US military report was inconclusive.

Some of the images have held up as Unidentified Aerial Phenomena, but that doesn't mean they support an extraterrestrial origin.  The U.S. government report said investigators couldn't identify or explain some of the objects.  That's why the report can neither confirm or deny the existence of vessels from outer space having visited Earth.  The lack of evidence disproving an extraterrestrial source doesn't indicate in any way  it had an extraterrestrial source.  That's the logic behind the Russell's Teapot analogy.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

I've never seen any type of UFO myself, more's the pity - but I do remember my father telling me that he had on one or two occasions seen some really weird shit on his road travels along deserted northern highways way back in the '60s when he was driving 5000 miles a month on gravel roads maintaining power plants - and he certainly wasn't the type to BS about this sort of thing...

20 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

That's a meme based on Russell's Teapot, a philosophical argument put forth by British philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell to show by way of analogy that because the existence of God can't be disproved, there's still no reason to believe God exists.  The analogy can be applied equally well to UFOs.

Basically, Russell is saying it's up to believers to prove something exists, rather than for non-believers to prove it doesn't. 

Evil

I know but thanks for the lecture. I have google too.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested in this subject:

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2020/04/27/pentagon-releases-videos-of-encounters-between-ufos-and-navy-pilots/

It includes this interesting comment:

"the Army inked a contract with DeLonge’s TTSA last October to collaborate in the study of “exotic” metals that both parties hope will lead to the development of advanced technologies.

As part of the agreement, the Army’s Ground Vehicle System Center and Ground Vehicle Survivability and Protection component will lend research resources, including laboratories, to TTSA, which in turn will leverage what the company asserts are alien metals capable of enhancing the effectiveness of Army vehicles.

To the Stars claims to have “acquired, designed, or produced” these materials, which can offer an array of futuristic modifications like active camouflage, beamed energy propulsion, inertial mass reduction, and quantum communication.

Details on how or where DeLonge’s company acquired these materials were not provided."

Edited by Bazle