Jump to content

My Thai pay and go sim.


ukdave51
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok chaps, I`ve had the same Thai mobile number for about 10 years now, my normal method was to top it up with credit before I finish a trip until my next one, since my last trip was cancelled last March I have found a site here in the UK to keep it topped up.

However with no reopening likely soon I might have to stop, my credit is only valid for another month, will my number be disabled after that date?  

If so it looks like I might have to get a new sim when I finally get back over, and I believe you have to produce passport details to do that now. 

What do you guys do, use the number from your home countries with the outrageous roaming charges the incur?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like the OP, I've had the same number for donkeys years. In the last when ive left the country I've left a years worth of top ups on it.... earlier this year I got the gf to put 20b (or was it 50?) credit on it, which has extended it to January next year. 

If I'm not back by then (looks unlikely, unfortunately), I'll put another 50b on, and hope that gives me another year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Painter said:

Like the OP, I've had the same number for donkeys years. In the last when ive left the country I've left a years worth of top ups on it.... earlier this year I got the gf to put 20b (or was it 50?) credit on it, which has extended it to January next year. 

If I'm not back by then (looks unlikely, unfortunately), I'll put another 50b on, and hope that gives me another year.

Each top up I do extends that validity for a month with mine, never heard of one small top up lasting a year. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ukdave51 said:

Each top up I do extends that validity for a month with mine, never heard of one small top up lasting a year. 

I'm with dtac. From memory the early topups only lasted a month, but then got progressively longer. I've just had a sms from them celebrating 13 years and 10 months.... dont know if that is why....

I know from discussion with other BMs not all networks give a year's credit

  • Great Info 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too have the same number since year dot. I am with AIS and they give me a month for each top up. Fortunately I can top it up via my bank account, so every now and again I do a few 20b top ups to keep the validity until my next trip.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

USSD method to Extend your SIM’s validity

There are also methods for extending your balance by entering a code and deducting from your balance. To extend your validity via USSD codes:

  • AIS
    • Add 10 Baht credit for 30 Days Validity
    • Alternative method: Dial *500*9#   Add 30 days validity for 30 THB via Mao Mao package
  • DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.
    • Press : *113*30*9#  for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
    • Press : *113*60*9#  for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
    • Press : *113*90*9#  for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
    • Press : *113*180*9#  for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
    • Conditions: Must activate SIM for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.
  • TrueMove H –  “Quick Add” Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month
    • Press : * 934 * 30 #  for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
    • Press : * 934 * 90 #  for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
    • Press : * 934 * 180 #  for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht

 

I use the method in red. Of course, you need to have the necessary credit on the SIM. I top up from a Thai bank account.

 

Alternatively, websites like

https://thaiprepaidcard.com/product/360-day-mobile-phone-validity/

will topup your SIM for a price. I've never used one but it might work.

 

  • Great Info 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm with AIS also.  If you top up more than a small amount every month you eventually get a year long validity no matter how much you add each month.  Since I also buy about 3Gb of data each month it was easy to get there.

I don't believe the SIM card expires immediately when you run out of validity, but it does expire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Can you be a bit more specific about the amount, please. 

I do around 300฿/mo.  I think after I had topped up over 1K฿ my validity stretched out to a year.  After that even a 20฿ top up would add a month on the end of the year long validity.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

USSD method to Extend your SIM’s validity

There are also methods for extending your balance by entering a code and deducting from your balance. To extend your validity via USSD codes:

  • AIS
    • Add 10 Baht credit for 30 Days Validity
    • Alternative method: Dial *500*9#   Add 30 days validity for 30 THB via Mao Mao package
  • DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.
    • Press : *113*30*9#  for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
    • Press : *113*60*9#  for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
    • Press : *113*90*9#  for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
    • Press : *113*180*9#  for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
    • Conditions: Must activate SIM for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.
  • TrueMove H –  “Quick Add” Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month
    • Press : * 934 * 30 #  for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
    • Press : * 934 * 90 #  for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
    • Press : * 934 * 180 #  for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht

 

I use the method in red. Of course, you need to have the necessary credit on the SIM. I top up from a Thai bank account.

 

Alternatively, websites like

https://thaiprepaidcard.com/product/360-day-mobile-phone-validity/

will topup your SIM for a price. I've never used one but it might work.

 

Used the website,  12x 10 baht top ups plus a 120 baht bonus for the princely sum of 165 baht (£3.76)  cheers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had the same number with AIS for years  now, on a separate phone for Thailand  which I keep going with wi-fi when I am at home for LINE (I never take it out of my house). AIS sends me a  text when the number is about to expire and I just make a payment, usually for 200b, through my Kasikorn bank account online and am good to go for another 3 months or whatever...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I've had the same number with AIS for years  now, on a separate phone for Thailand  which I keep going with wi-fi when I am at home for LINE (I never take it out of my house). AIS sends me a  text when the number is about to expire and I just make a payment, usually for 200b, through my Kasikorn bank account online and am good to go for another 3 months or whatever...

I top up our DTAC numbers with 50 baht each from my Kasikorn account and this gives us 12 months validity.

Edited by thegrogmonster
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2021 at 2:52 PM, boydeste said:

I too have the same number since year dot. I am with AIS and they give me a month for each top up. Fortunately I can top it up via my bank account, so every now and again I do a few 20b top ups to keep the validity until my next trip.

UPDATE,

I just topped my AIS sim up via my bank account using 10b payments. Previously I am sure the minimun was 20b.

Hey ho, not complaining though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

UPDATE,

I just topped my AIS sim up via my bank account using 10b payments. Previously I am sure the minimun was 20b.

Hey ho, not complaining though!

Minimum 20 baht top up for me using the Bangkok Bank app and it gets me the credit and an extra months validity every time.  I do recall a SIM that extended validity to a year with every top up, but I never got it back after loaning it to a mate once.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KWA said:

Minimum 20 baht top up for me using the Bangkok Bank app and it gets me the credit and an extra months validity every time.  I do recall a SIM that extended validity to a year with every top up, but I never got it back after loaning it to a mate once.

Yes, I get the credit and a months extra validity too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      1,453
    • Most Online
      994

    Newest Member
    crimzon9033
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...