Tricks you use to minimize mold

Sea-Hawks

So, I’ve had mold show up in a variety of places & items in my condo/villa in Thailand.  Most of the occurrences happen when I am away 90 days or more.  (Bed, couches, other furniture , clothes etc)

What do you do to deter or minimize this problem when you are away Thailand for an extended period of time? 

31 minutes ago, Sea-Hawks said:

So, I’ve had mold show up in a variety of places & items in my condo/villa in Thailand.  Most of the occurrences happen when I am away 90 days or more.  (Bed, couches, other furniture , clothes etc)

What do you do to deter or minimize this problem when you are away Thailand for an extended period of time? 

Get rid of those items and thank your lucky stars in ain't inside your walls. Otherwise, you'd be in a world of hurt. 

Mold is nasty, nasty stuff.

Can even block the sale of property. 

I'd say best thing to do would be to remove anything that has been affected. If you have a serious problem areas then once the damaged material has been removed use treated/resistant replacement products. I believe there is also mold resistant treatments and paints that can be used on the replacement products. None of this guaranteed as mold is a never ending battle. Not unlike roaches.... they can always come back and will never completely go away.

The other thing would be to do what Nick recommended, for sure. Moisture is the culprit. If the problem is real bad I would seriously consider leaving the A/C running while you are away. Make sure it is checked properly and new filters placed on it before departure. I would suggest having a trusted friend or family member check on things every so often when you are away as a safeguard and added peace of mind. 

Keep in mind that many homeowner insurance policies have time exceptions if the property is not lived in, check your policy, and adjust accordingly. Failing to do so could end up costing you dearly.

Good luck !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nickrock said:

At home I run a dehumidifier it runs 24/7 simply because the house feels warmer during winter

…understand that moisture is a culprit, but wouldn't a cracked window at least give a room a bit of circulating air?

5 minutes ago, Sea-Hawks said:

…understand that moisture is a culprit, but wouldn't a cracked window at least give a room a bit of circulating air?

that wouldn't take the moisture out of the air. dehumidifier would, but it would need to be properly drained and of proper capacity for the area. An open window would only allow more moist air at a faster rate... defeating the whole purpose of an A/C or dehumidifier.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

that wouldn't take the moisture out of the air. dehumidifier would, but it would need to be properly drained and of proper capacity for the area. An open window would only allow more moist air at a faster rate... defeating the whole purpose of an A/C or dehumidifier.

…and leaving all the blinds open would be better than closed?