Running / Walking Shoes

Sea-Hawks

As I anticipate returning back to LOS and knowing how bad/difficult it is to find really good shoes in Thailand, I spent the long weekend buying and ordering 7 shoes with a total cost of approximately $1,200 USD.  

Now, in the past I was an Asics guy.  But, over the past few years, I didn’t feel like they were keeping up with the  top shoes coming up in the market place.  

I decided that it was time to try out a number of other top rated - Walking /Running shoes

image.jpg

Early last year, while in Japan, I bought a couple of Skechers . Both shoes were very very light and provided amazing comfort like walking on pillows.

The lace-ups were the Goga Max

92660042-7860-4955-9275-9C56A0F86DF8.jpeg

And the slip-on were the Goga Mat Air Cooled

40C4C1EB-5D8D-44CE-801B-8BECF7587E8C.jpeg

So, this time around, I first went ahead and ordered some shoes that I couldn’t get over at RoadRunner. 

I purchased the Skechers Glide Step Sport Wave w/Air Cooled Memory Foam  

5616B4CD-39E7-4D22-8DDF-64DE0EF57E69.jpeg01C3A6D0-6865-435E-BC18-0779EE296C92.jpeg

Then, decided to give Asics one last try, with the recommended NovaBlast

5CE95937-0F64-4480-A646-31A6368695D3.jpeg

I bought a pair of Nike - the ZoomX Invincible Run

A67262C6-6781-4C37-8ADF-AE103BE6F1F1.jpeg

• Like 2

I went over to Road Runner to buy a couple of Hoka One One shoes.  They are quite popular these days and almost everyone recommends this brand shoe.  AAE81683-276D-4B75-BA70-2E673CE0948F.jpeg

I tried on every single Hoka shoe available to get a feel and test out the best features.  

I got the signature line - the Clifton 8’s that started it all for Hoka One One.  This shoe is very light & provides an amazing cushioning but push-off on walks/runs.  3A6240D5-C12C-4A8D-8625-80943671E429.jpeg28BA4F24-797B-4899-87D1-073E5ED99DFF.jpegI’ll probably wear these shoes for walking around town & mid to long runs. 

I also purchased the Hoka Rincone 2. It is even lighter than the Cliftons @ 7.5 oz.  I plan to wear these around the house and quick trips across the street48003170-548E-4B1E-8CB5-8362A8AFF40E.jpegD8D13ACA-55C7-40CE-BC0F-09A40F4DD1A9.jpeg

• Great Info 1

…after wearing/trying out my two Hoka shoes over the long weekend, decided that the Hoka Rincon were the shoe that I would wear most around the house and quick errands…so decided to buy 2 more with different colors8050B5A8-9C30-49EE-8189-678EBC8FD806.png

I was able to get a membership discount on each shoe & had a coupon for a further discount , so saved a lot on the purchase 

0B801CF2-FB70-492D-B18F-1BD398130949.jpeg

B89B1754-C432-43ED-9344-EF84E1ADA2B1.jpeg

I am now awaiting the delivery shipment of the other shoes.  I’ll provide an update once they arrive & I have a chance to try them out for a few days.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can’t go wrong with Skechers, wish I knew about them sooner. When Dad first got sick 2 years ago, I made the horrible mistake of breaking in a brand new pair of casual sneakers on the day I flew and took the train straight to the hospital. 10,000 steps later, the tiny tight spot near my small toe, led to my feet being very badly torn up. 2 days later I picked up my first pair of Skechers, felt like slippers and lasted me a full 18 months. In March I found an outlet store in Calgary, snapped up 2 pairs for $100 CAD, one I haven’t even had the chance to wear yet. They are amazing.

One thing I’ve realized with footwear, we all like to save a $, but ordering shoes online sight unseen is never a good idea. I don’t care if it’s 90% off, until you’ve actually walked around in them you just don’t know. I’m a size 13, and ordered 3 pairs online from a huge retailer here. One dress shoe was too tight, felt like an 11, one left over an inch of toe space, looked like a 14-15, and the 3rd pair mentioned above destroyed my feet. 

Another time around 2007 I was trying to break in a pair of dress shoes my only time in Vegas, ended up walking down the Strip and just shredding my Achilles on one foot. Took a taxi to a pink neon signed Asian massage parlour, God bless that Viet lady, not a stunner but I got a happy ending and she “cleaned the wound” 

Only Skechers on long walks from here on out......

Anyway the shoes from that day at the airport were similar to these, the material they use just doesn’t bend until it’s really broken in, hence the damage to my foot wherever it was tight on those long walks

E3FAA4BC-17D1-4392-B8FE-E93465828129.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Great Info 1

True it must be tough finding good athletic footwear in LOS. My longest trip was around 8 months and it wasn’t an issue thank God, mostly up in Chiang Mai and I wore a pair of sandals I had bought in Pattaya. But good luck finding big men’s sizes from quality brands, you did the right thing bringing the 7 pairs with you

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Sea-Hawks said:

decided that the Hoka Rincon were the shoe that I would wear most around the house

Good idea to purchase your shoes in the US. From personal experience I know how easy it is to get stung buying what you think is an original only to find out after it falls apart after a couple of months of use that it was a copy. Since then my shopping list for my annual trips back to the States have included running shoes. As my running is mostly off road trails my favorite are the Salomon Speedcross 5's. 

By "around the house" do you mean in the house or outside the house? I never wear shoes in the house, and for the tromping around I do outside the house I keep a cheap pair of slip on rubber sandals handy. Much easier to slip on and kick off the sandals than lace up shoes.

47 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

By "around the house" do you mean in the house or outside the house? 

My remodel of the condo will have cement flooring, so plans aren’t to take off my shoes or walk around bear foot.  I’ll either wear my Oofos or walking shoes in my condo

Used to be a devoted Asics buyer in the UK but the manufacturing quality fell off a cliff. Had 3 pairs in a row wear to a hole in the toes with minimal running.

Switched to Saucony, way better than Asics running and walking. Tried Miznuo once, never comfortable, wouldn't buy again.

Currently first try of Brooks Adrenaline, great for running if you  need more support. Feel a little odd to walk in though. Cost in the UK £120 so $166, pretty much the same as @Sea-Hawks is spending. I used to balk at paying that much, but getting a shop that will do proper gait analysis and have you running in multiple pairs is way worth it- your feet will thank you for it. Works too for walkers, have seen many come into the shop I use, and get the same standard of service.

I've not tried Hoka before, in stock at my local so  maybe a future buy. Very happy with the Brooks though.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Can’t go wrong with Skechers, wish I knew about them sooner. When Dad first got sick 2 years ago, I made the horrible mistake of breaking in a brand new pair of casual sneakers on the day I flew and took the train straight to the hospital. 10,000 steps later, the tiny tight spot near my small toe, led to my feet being very badly torn up. 2 days later I picked up my first pair of Skechers, felt like slippers and lasted me a full 18 months. In March I found an outlet store in Calgary, snapped up 2 pairs for $100 CAD, one I haven’t even had the chance to wear yet. They are amazing.

One thing I’ve realized with footwear, we all like to save a $, but ordering shoes online sight unseen is never a good idea. I don’t care if it’s 90% off, until you’ve actually walked around in them you just don’t know. I’m a size 13, and ordered 3 pairs online from a huge retailer here. One dress shoe was too tight, felt like an 11, one left over an inch of toe space, looked like a 14-15, and the 3rd pair mentioned above destroyed my feet. 

Another time around 2007 I was trying to break in a pair of dress shoes my only time in Vegas, ended up walking down the Strip and just shredding my Achilles on one foot. Took a taxi to a pink neon signed Asian massage parlour, God bless that Viet lady, not a stunner but I got a happy ending and she “cleaned the wound” 

Only Skechers on long walks from here on out......

Anyway the shoes from that day at the airport were similar to these, the material they use just doesn’t bend until it’s really broken in, hence the damage to my foot wherever it was tight on those long walks

E3FAA4BC-17D1-4392-B8FE-E93465828129.jpeg

Those Samba are classic but only for wearing down the Pub or a footie game🙂. No wonder your feet were f*****d

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Haha 2

I like Nike Tanjuns , lightweight and immediately comfortable , they are my go to trainer for walking and all day use 

if I need more grip I currently use Nike Pegasus , again very light 

in winter I have a pair of low rise , gortex , Northface walking shoes , not sure which model 

19C325AE-AEA7-4ADC-B023-8BF72CFDB5A0.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't run - but I do hike on and off trail - so I like beefier shoes with good support. For me the orthotic insole is as important as the shoe selection.

Recent purchases:

Merrell Accentor 2 Mid Vent 033245_images_01.jpg

New Balance Men's 608 V5 Casual Comfort Cross TrainerCaptures2.JPG

Moab 2 VentilatorCaptures1.JPG

SOLE Performance Medium Cork Shoe Insoles with Metatarsal PadsCaptures4.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Just picked up some "New Balance" running shoes, 4th of July sale here at Dicks Sporting Goods. Wifey got "Nikes" 

Taking them to Lake Tahoe Sunday for a jog in the Sierras.  So far so good at the track here locally. 

Geez...as you can see, you guys know how expensive running shoes can be. 

Worse then Calif gas prices LOL! 

IMG_5446.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Used to be a devoted Asics buyer in the UK but the manufacturing quality fell off a cliff. Had 3 pairs in a row wear to a hole in the toes with minimal running.

Switched to Saucony, way better than Asics running and walking. Tried Miznuo once, never comfortable, wouldn't buy again.

Currently first try of Brooks Adrenaline, great for running if you  need more support. Feel a little odd to walk in though. Cost in the UK £120 so $166, pretty much the same as @Sea-Hawks is spending. I used to balk at paying that much, but getting a shop that will do proper gait analysis and have you running in multiple pairs is way worth it- your feet will thank you for it. Works too for walkers, have seen many come into the shop I use, and get the same standard of service.

I've not tried Hoka before, in stock at my local so  maybe a future buy. Very happy with the Brooks though.

…since I’m supposedly working from home, I took a drive down to the Asics store and tried on & tested out some shoes after they did an analysis of my feet & running on the treadmill.  

I am awaiting the Novablast, but in the meantime, I really liked the feel of the Asics Gel Nimbus Lite 2, so bought a pair. EBD47A57-AD87-46F3-A5F1-8278E48B9CFE.jpeg

I have them on now as I am breaking them in around the house.  Plans are to go on a run with a co-worker in a couple of days so will report back after the first run.  (I typically like to run at least #100 miles on a pair of shoes to give a honest assessment- & both light casual runs and longer quicker tempo runs.)

In regards to Brooks, the headquarters is actually across the street from one of our offices & a few of my favorite watering holes overlooking the bay.  The Company started out in Philly, but is hugely popular in my hometown.  Now, why don’t I buy Brooks?  Well,  I use to get free Brooks from my girlfriend at the time who still works at Brooks.  After we stopped seeing each other, I felt she was the devil and I seem to run into her regularly in the area and decided never to support Brooks, lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Currently first try of Brooks Adrenaline, great for running if you  need more support. Feel a little odd to walk in though. 

…agree!  It’s great that shoes now through technology & better materials are better made and handle/perform better.  But, in that regard, many of the higher end performance shoes are built for specific purposes in mind.  Some shoes are made for casual or walking around, some are made for short & easy, slower runs and others are made for long runs/marathons or quicker runs.  So, having a variety of shoes for different uses/needs would be best.  But, understandable if people don’t want to spend a bunch of money for multiple shoes.  

I’ve noticed that the shoes I typically buy for long runs & ones with more/higher mids tend to be not so good for everyday use or walking around the house

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I got these from Lazada I have a few pairs 139 bhat on a flash sale. I walk 10 km every day minimum never any problems with these and they're a bit cheaper

If you haven't already done so, might want to check the selection out at Decathlon. They have decent quality running/walking shoes at very reasonable prices.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

If you haven't already done so, might want to check the selection out at Decathlon. They have decent quality running/walking shoes at very reasonable prices.

I'm sure not at the price I paid for mine I get about six to eight months out of them and then they take a shit

• Haha 1

For almost 25 years only the basic white New Balance, general purpose. About 3 years ago I decided to add a bit more flash to my style and picked up a pair of orange New Balance, and a kind of a semi high top dark blue Nike (my first pair of Nike). 

Both of these pairs have been holding up very well. I should have them at least another couple of years. After that I reckon I'll be sticking with the basic all purpose Nike.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I'm sure not at the price I paid for mine I get about six to eight months out of them and then they take a shit

We used to call them "bumper" shoes when I was a kid although I had to make do with plimsolls. :default_blum:

• Haha 1