Getting used to Life back in the UK

On 9/11/2021 at 2:06 PM, bob lt said:

And I was just about to add that prescriptions are free for all residents of Scotland

Except..............When you return after a long absence signing on at a Medical Practice comes first which is time consuming and somewhat protracted as they don't want you to visit them in person in case you infect their Reception triage ogre.

Except.................You cannot obtain a prescription without first being vetted by a doctor.  

Except................The doctors are not seeing ANY of their "customers" at the practice. So you have to book a telephone consultation with the doctor.

Except..............That has to be done with the said Reception triage ogre who is horrified when you dare to turn up in person to book said telephone consultation.

Except................. The waiting list to receive a phone call from the doctor is 2 1/2 weeks.

Except................When you finally receive said telephone call the doctor is obviously in a rush to get through his annoying list of customers he has to phone that morning and keeps interrupting you and generally pissing you off. Concludes by telling you that before obtaining your prescription (that you have now run out of)  you have to phone to make an appointment with the Practice nurse so she can test your blood.

Except............Practice nurse cannot see you for another 2 1/2 weeks because all these annoying sick people keep bothering her for appointments.

Except................. You never make the visit to the Practice nurse because you die in the interim having not taken your medication for more than a month.

Job Done! 🤣

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

Except..............When you return after a long absence signing on at a Medical Practice comes first which is time consuming and somewhat protracted as they don't want you to visit them in person in case you infect their Reception triage ogre.

Except.................You cannot obtain a prescription without first being vetted by a doctor.  

Except................The doctors are not seeing ANY of their "customers" at the practice. So you have to book a telephone consultation with the doctor.

Except..............That has to be done with the said Reception triage ogre who is horrified when you dare to turn up in person to book said telephone consultation.

Except................. The waiting list to receive a phone call from the doctor is 2 1/2 weeks.

Except................When you finally receive said telephone call the doctor is obviously in a rush to get through his annoying list of customers he has to phone that morning and keeps interrupting you and generally pissing you off. Concludes by telling you that before obtaining your prescription (that you have now run out of)  you have to phone to make an appointment with the Practice nurse so she can test your blood.

Except............Practice nurse cannot see you for another 2 1/2 weeks because all these annoying sick people keep bothering her for appointments.

Except................. You never make the visit to the Practice nurse because you die in the interim having not taken your medication for more than a month.

Job Done! 🤣

I believe there were issues due to the Scottish Assembly having control of the NHS in Scotland.

During last week I whilst cutting back some bushes on of the branches made a small cut on my hand near my thumb.  I subsequently cleaned the wound with saline solution, however over a couple of days it became infected with the associated swelling and red circle of skin.  Late Friday evening it was clear that the infection was not going to go away on its own.

At 0800 Saturday morning I rang my GP number and was automatically redirected to a hub covering weekend appointments; the reason I did this was that I knew I was flying out of the UK Sat afternoon and needed antibiotics it clear the infection which in UK are a POM.  The receptionist answered and said, ‘Do you need a face to face appointment the Doctor’ after I had explained my reason for using the weekend service for a relatively minor matter.  I said, ‘No’ I can describe things over the telephone.  The receptionist said, ‘The Doctor will ring you at 1035 hours.  

As said time the Doctor rang and I outlined the circumstances; she asked a couple of questions and said she would issue a prescription for Clarithiomycin tablets and said, ‘I can do an electronic proscription but if you are jetting off this afternoon it would be better if you collected a paper prescription from the surgery and then you can take it to any pharmacy, just in case one does not have the drug in stock.  

Thirty minutes later, prescription collected, drug obtained from pharmacy attached to surgery and job done.

Excellent in my view. 

PS

Infection starting to clear.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, john luke said:

I believe there were issues due to the Scottish Assembly having control of the NHS in Scotland.

During last week I whilst cutting back some bushes on of the branches made a small cut on my hand near my thumb.  I subsequently cleaned the wound with saline solution, however over a couple of days it became infected with the associated swelling and red circle of skin.  Late Friday evening it was clear that the infection was not going to go away on its own.

At 0800 Saturday morning I rang my GP number and was automatically redirected to a hub covering weekend appointments; the reason I did this was that I knew I was flying out of the UK Sat afternoon and needed antibiotics it clear the infection which in UK are a POM.  The receptionist answered and said, ‘Do you need a face to face appointment the Doctor’ after I had explained my reason for using the weekend service for a relatively minor matter.  I said, ‘No’ I can describe things over the telephone.  The receptionist said, ‘The Doctor will ring you at 1035 hours.  

As said time the Doctor rang and I circumstances; she asked a couple of questions and said she would issue a prescription for Clarithiomycin tablets and said, ‘I can do an electronic proscription but if you are jetting off this afternoon it would be better if you collected a paper prescription from the surgery and then you can take it to any pharmacy, just in case one does not have the drug in stock.  

Thirty minutes later, prescription collected, drug obtained from pharmacy attached to surgery and job done.

Excellent in my view. 

PS

Infection starting to clear.

Good to hear you got it sorted before your trip. One item I highly recommend everyone keep in their home first aid kit is a tube of triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin is a brand name, but generics work just as well and are a heck of a lot cheaper). Apply to cuts when they occur and you'll avoid subsequent infections and trips to a Dr. I've found the ointment also speeds up the healing process.

Since you can't buy the stuff in Thailand, recommend bringing a good supply when you return.

15 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Good to hear you got it sorted before your trip. One item I highly recommend everyone keep in their home first aid kit is a tube of triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin is a brand name, but generics work just as well and are a heck of a lot cheaper). Apply to cuts when they occur and you'll avoid subsequent infections and trips to a Dr. I've found the ointment also speeds up the healing process.

Since you can't buy the stuff in Thailand, recommend bringing a good supply when you return.

I strongly disrecommend this as unnecessary usage of antibiotics only promotes resistance to them, save antibiotics to when they are really necessary instead of finding them useless when you most need them. 

14 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

I strongly disrecommend this as unnecessary usage of antibiotics only promotes resistance to them, save antibiotics to when they are really necessary instead of finding them useless when you most need them. 

I understand the overuse of antibiotic pills is causing bacterial resistance, but wasn't aware topical antibiotic ointments had the same issue.

4 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I understand the overuse of antibiotic pills is causing bacterial resistance, but wasn't aware topical antibiotic ointments had the same issue.

The issue arises from the (unnecessary) usage of antibiotics. I don't have a problem with disinfectants and antiseptics (medical alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and similar).

17 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

My PCP told me that recently when I showed her the incision from a recent hand surgery. No topical antibiotics unless there is an infection. 

Common Questions About Wound Care

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2015/0115/p86.html

"There is no evidence that prophylactic antibiotics improve outcomes for most simple wounds."

Capture.JPG

Edited by lazarus
  • Thanks 1

If I can be arsed to wake up in time I can ring my surgery at 0800 & get a telephone consultation with a GP the same afternoon.

If they want to see me in person then that's happened if not the same day then within 1-3 days.

I just had a gastroscopy within 14 days of a telephone consultation & I rang the surgery at around 0800 today saying I wanted to talk to the GP who did my referral & he rang me back this afternoon.

Maybe I'm just lucky with my surgery.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

If I can be arsed to wake up in time I can ring my surgery at 0800 & get a telephone consultation with a GP the same afternoon.

If they want to see me in person then that's happened if not the same day then within 1-3 days.

I just had a gastroscopy within 14 days of a telephone consultation & I rang the surgery at around 0800 today saying I wanted to talk to the GP who did my referral & he rang me back this afternoon.

My GP's the exact same.

Even if it's a good bit later than 8am, and you give it 'it's serious', you'll get a call back from a GP that day.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

4 minutes ago, Krapow said:

My GP's the exact same.

Even if it's a good bit later than 8am, and you give it 'it's serious', you'll get a call back from a GP that day.

Ditto. Ring before 12, get a phone call that day.

Face to face within days if they deem it necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Jambo said:

Job Done! 🤣

Sounds great being back home and here I am stuck in Pattaya :default_fishing:

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Jambo said:

Job Done! 🤣

But you are in Jockland with Nicola running things, there's bound to be a price to pay lol

I was thinking about this thread whilst out on my morning walk.

Yesterday my mate built a 5m length low wall, 2 door steps and repaired a couple of "holes" in my tiled patio for me. He worked from 8am to 5 pm and did a damn good job. Materials (25 breeze blocks, 20 small red bricks. at least a bag of cement and a bag of sand etc etc) 600 baht. Labour was 300 Baht + as much homebrew as he wanted after work was completed.

900 baht = 20 quid.

How much would this have cost in Sunny UK?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I was thinking about this thread whilst out on my morning walk.

Yesterday my mate built a 5m length low wall, 2 door steps and repaired a couple of "holes" in my tiled patio for me. He worked from 8am to 5 pm and did a damn good job. Materials (25 breeze blocks, 20 small red bricks. at least a bag of cement and a bag of sand etc etc) 600 baht. Labour was 300 Baht + as much homebrew as he wanted after work was completed.

900 baht = 20 quid.

How much would this have cost in Sunny UK?

If you can get the cement, a lot more than £20. Cement and plaster was in short supply mid year, but actually it is available now, but some rough cut timber is not. Some types of bricks are in short supply.

Bricks or blocks if needed, best option is a reclaim yard. Brickies charge about $160 - £200 per day labour, depending.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Butch said:

If you can get the cement, a lot more than £20. Cement and plaster was in short supply mid year, but actually it is available now, but some rough cut timber is not. Some types of bricks are in short supply.

Bricks or blocks if needed, best option is a reclaim yard. Brickies charge about $160 - £200 per day labour, depending.

Part of the 600 baht was "transport costs".

He borrowed a mates food cart. Afterwards he filled it up with gasoline and bought him a bottle of seesip degree.

How much is it to fill a "motorcy" tank in UK?

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Part of the 600 baht was "transport costs".

He borrowed a mates food cart. Afterwards he filled it up with gasoline and bought him a bottle of seesip degree.

How much is it to fill a "motorcy" tank in UK?

Petrol is now £1.35 per litre, gone up a chunk recently.

Edited by Butch
missed a number out on the price.
  • Surprised 1

There are two things I really believe that cannot be bettered when experienced live and in person.

The first is listening to live music and the second is the whole deal involved in supporting your local football team. I will  always be a "Gooner" but some of my best moments in footy has been the sheer tribal experience of a Hearts/Hibs Edinburgh derby.

After gap of 15 years I was back on Sunday in my seat in the Wheatfield stand at Hearts Tynecastle.

H1.jpg

But first, there is the ritual it is a couple of cold ones and a pre match Scotch pie

Pint.jpgPie.jpg

Main stand.jpg

Apart from a few rows of seats get empty behind where the subs bench etc sit it was a complete sell out.

H4.jpgH3.jpg

Unfortunately, mostly thanks largely to the exploits of two inspired goalkeepers, it ended without a winner but played at a very high tempo as befitting a local derby game.

It was good to be back.

H5.jpg

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Jambo said:

There are two things I really believe that cannot be bettered when experienced live and in person.

The first is listening to live music and the second is the whole deal involved in supporting your local football team. I will  always be a "Gooner" but some of my best moments in footy has been the sheer tribal experience of a Hearts/Hibs Edinburgh derby.

Very well said.

I used to leave Elland Road emotionally and physically drained whether win, lose or draw. There is nothing like it!!!

• Thumbs Up 2