Getting used to Life back in the UK

On 9/13/2021 at 10:02 PM, coxyhog said:

If I can be arsed to wake up in time I can ring my surgery at 0800 & get a telephone consultation with a GP the same afternoon.

If they want to see me in person then that's happened if not the same day then within 1-3 days.

I just had a gastroscopy within 14 days of a telephone consultation & I rang the surgery at around 0800 today saying I wanted to talk to the GP who did my referral & he rang me back this afternoon.

Maybe I'm just lucky with my surgery.

Mine same, the same day. Got to ring first thing though.

8 hours ago, Sangsom said:

@Jambohows the sex situation, or are you back to the reality of wanking a few times a week now no cheap hookers on every corner? 🤪

I can categorically deny ever having had a sexual relationship with any street corner hooker cheap or otherwise. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 4

On 7/21/2021 at 2:12 PM, Jambo said:

It still comes as a shock to me to realize just how much prices have gone up in the UK since I last visited.

Coffee cake.jpg

I had to pay by waving my bank card over the reader as although they were very busy they did not have cash change for a twenty pound note. 🤣

You do realise that C19 can be spread by exchanging money. Why take the risk to you and other, when there is no need to!

On 9/15/2021 at 10:22 PM, eyes4thais said:

But you must agree it is nice to go into a supermarket and buy, Wine Chocolate and Cheese so cheap. 

Far, far too easy which is why I am  back on my low carb diet. 🤣

If one puts to the side the previous covid restrictions ( now virtually all lifted) which resulted in continuing appointment backlogs in a number of areas it is great to be living in a country where unrestricted day to day living is the norm once again.

It is the small things like leaving my condo/apartment/flat and walking 2 minutes down the hill to a real proper pub that sells real proper beer in a straight pint glass. How that quite fits in with my return to the diet is under review. :default_cheers:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jambo said:

real proper pub that sells real proper beer in a straight pint glass.

I'd love to be sitting next to you Jambo.

Other than being close to my very few family members,  proper real ale and castles are about all i miss from the UK.......

In my local boozer i had my own straight pint glass, an old and quite heavy one, the etched marking was GR which i assume was related to King George  ???

Enjoy your ale and forget about the diet for a couple of hours mate......

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2021 at 9:34 PM, eyes4thais said:

You do realise that C19 can be spread by exchanging money. Why take the risk to you and other, when there is no need to!

I deal with cash and a lot all day long and have since the beginning of the pandemic ..

Give me your cash if you don't want it I'll gladly take it off your hands...

Absolute paranoa been driven into everyone.

Here lies Bertie Basset the fat f**k handled a twenty and passed away 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, roomark said:

I deal with cash and a lot all day long and have since the beginning of the pandemic ..

Give me your cash if you don't want it I'll gladly take it off your hands...

No serious worries if you wash your hands with soap before you pick your nose.

The virus that causes COVID-19 can potentially be spread through money. However, it's unlikely to cause the COVID-19 illness in humans. A recent study has shown that the virus that causes COVID-19 can survive on solid surfaces like coins for up to four days and on paper like cash for up to three hours, but the virus was no longer infectious (viable) after that point. There has been no rigorous research to conclude or disprove that COVID-19 can be easily spread through coins and paper money otherwise. Therefore, the risk of catching COVID-19 from the virus sticking to money is very low. However, it is best practice in general to wash your hands and avoid touching your face after touching money. The virus that causes COVID-19 is primarily spread through person-to-person contact, especially if you are in close contact with another person (within about 6 feet or 2 meters). Since we do not yet fully understand all the ways the virus could spread, it would be a good practice to be vigilant with money just as any other potential contaminated surface, and wash your hands with soap after touching it.

https://health-desk.org/articles/can-covid-19-be-spread-through-money

. . .

The WHO has clarified that they aren't warning people against using paper money due to coronavirus

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-WHO-cash-comments/

8 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Frankly, you should as STDs can be spread that way.

If my 17 years extensive experience in Thailand and other parts of SE Asia is typical I would say the risk is negligible.

I did once  have to display my red and itchy dick to Dr. Oliver in Pattaya but he diagnosed it as a yeast infection and told me to dry well after showers and only to wear loose boxer shorts . He then charged me 600 baht for a 40 baht tube of canestan cream.

There was one other occasion when after sending the previous nights plat de jour on her way I went into the bathroom and discovered my lips had turned bright purple. 

I shit a proverbial brick and the same evening got off the baht bus from Jomtien at the first  clinic you come to in Pattaya. I said to the doctor

" I think l have contracted an STD and pointed to my purple lips"

The doctor got a torch and looked at my purple lips and said

"Allergic reaction to something you eat"

" So not an STD then"

"No,  allergy. I give you tablets. Will clear up in 3 days"

So for 3 days I had purple lips and not a single person noticed. :default_biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

If my 17 years extensive experience in Thailand and other parts of SE Asia is typical I would say the risk is negligible.

I did once  have to display my red and itchy dick to Dr. Oliver in Pattaya but he diagnosed it as a yeast infection and told me to dry well after showers and only to wear loose boxer shorts . He then charged me 600 baht for a 40 baht tube of canestan cream.

There was one other occasion when after sending the previous nights plat de jour on her way I went into the bathroom and discovered my lips had turned bright purple. 

I shit a proverbial brick and the same evening got off the baht bus from Jomtien at the first  clinic you come to in Pattaya. I said to the doctor

" I think l have contracted an STD and pointed to my purple lips"

The doctor got a torch and looked at my purple lips and said

"Allergic reaction to something you eat"

" So not an STD then"

"No,  allergy. I give you tablets. Will clear up in 3 days"

So for 3 days I had purple lips and not a single person noticed. :default_biggrin:

Begs the next question:

"So Mr Gooner what have you been eating lately?"  ....... bet you didn't tell him the whole truth at that point.

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Jambo said:

I bet you wear a condom when getting a blow job. 🤣

But there is a clear benefit to NOT wearing a condom and no potential risk! But there is no benefit to pay by cash. In actual fact it takes longer and has a risk factor. 

3million people have died from corvid. What % has died by spreading the disease by using cash?

8 hours ago, lazarus said:

No serious worries if you wash your hands with soap before you pick your nose.

The virus that causes COVID-19 can potentially be spread through money. However, it's unlikely to cause the COVID-19 illness in humans. A recent study has shown that the virus that causes COVID-19 can survive on solid surfaces like coins for up to four days and on paper like cash for up to three hours, but the virus was no longer infectious (viable) after that point. There has been no rigorous research to conclude or disprove that COVID-19 can be easily spread through coins and paper money otherwise. Therefore, the risk of catching COVID-19 from the virus sticking to money is very low. However, it is best practice in general to wash your hands and avoid touching your face after touching money. The virus that causes COVID-19 is primarily spread through person-to-person contact, especially if you are in close contact with another person (within about 6 feet or 2 meters). Since we do not yet fully understand all the ways the virus could spread, it would be a good practice to be vigilant with money just as any other potential contaminated surface, and wash your hands with soap after touching it.

https://health-desk.org/articles/can-covid-19-be-spread-through-money

. . .

The WHO has clarified that they aren't warning people against using paper money due to coronavirus

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-WHO-cash-comments/

In the UK cash is not paper anymore, it is plastic! Same characteristics as coins.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2021 at 10:38 PM, nampla69 said:

Begs the next question:

"So Mr Gooner what have you been eating lately?"  ....... bet you didn't tell him the whole truth at that point.

I remember his reaction to me saying "So I don't have a STD?" was a very confused sounding "No" because it was then all too obvious that it never entered his head what had been my "starter". 🤣

• Haha 1

On 9/13/2021 at 2:38 PM, forcebwithu said:

Good to hear you got it sorted before your trip. One item I highly recommend everyone keep in their home first aid kit is a tube of triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin is a brand name, but generics work just as well and are a heck of a lot cheaper). Apply to cuts when they occur and you'll avoid subsequent infections and trips to a Dr. I've found the ointment also speeds up the healing process.

Since you can't buy the stuff in Thailand, recommend bringing a good supply when you return.

I visited my local pharmacy the other day with a view to purchasing the above.  I was advised that the ointment in question is POM (Prescription only Medicine) and in UK can only be obtained with a prescription from a Doctor.

Recently UK have been making it possible to buy more medications over the counter, probably as a cost saving exercise as prescriptions are free to a significant section of society, however the above is not as yet available over the counter.

Probably worth buying when next in Thailand.

1 minute ago, john luke said:

I visited my local pharmacy the other day with a view to purchasing the above.  I was advised that the ointment in question is POM (Prescription only Medicine) and in UK can only be obtained with a prescription from a Doctor.

Recently UK have been making it possible to buy more medications over the counter, probably as a cost saving exercise as prescriptions are free to a significant section of society, however the above is not as yet available over the counter.

When I had short stints working in the UK I was a bit taken aback by the things we could buy OTC in the US but were POM in the UK.

As for buying in Thailand, unfortunately I've not found a source for triple antibiotic ointment here.

2 hours ago, john luke said:

Any antibiotic is prescription only in the uk and so it should be! Irresponsible for any country selling them without a prescription, although many sadly do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john luke said:

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

When I had short stints working in the UK I was a bit taken aback by the things we could buy OTC in the US but were POM in the UK.

As for buying in Thailand, unfortunately I've not found a source for triple antibiotic ointment here.

Please read back about the problems with unrestricted usage of antibiotics. There is a reason the USA has much more of a problem than Europe (and most of Europe than the Netherlands) with multiple resistant strains.