Getting a new bank book - Amazing Thailand

Pumpuynarak

My bank book was full up so i went into my bank branch to acquire a new book. Sat in front of this lady who then photocopied various pages of my old book together with my passport and asked me to sign the photocopies which i duly did in front of her. She then queried that my signature did'nt look the same as the one they have on record and would i resign the photocopies and attempt to sign exactly the same.

I duly complied with her request but did'nt make a very good job of copying my original signature that she was referring to, she was'nt happy but relented when i asked her if my passport photo was in fact me....... 

Dean Martin (499x442).jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I never bothered about getting my passbook updated except when getting the bank letter for Immigration.

So once a year I'd rock up with only a single entry in the passbook. They'd put it in the machine and it would whir away, flip to the next page and then the passbook was full so they'd insert single sheets of paper and the machine would whir away.

And I'd leave with the old passbook, about 50 single sheets of paper stapled together and a new passbook with just a single line used. And we'd do it all again next year.

• Haha 2

I have banked with Thai Farmers on Soi Rangnam since 1996 and I stuck with them as I moved from province to Province, their change of branding and an impossible situation up North trying to get a marriage visa renewal.

I took everything in my stride until moving back to Pattaya ...

I opened a new account at Kasikorn Beach Road. A year later it closed down. I was then told it had transferred to Naklua, not one of the larger branches but a small one ...and it was in a broom cupboard upstairs. I'm serious!! I went in and was told to sit down and wait my turn. I felt quite embarrassed because I was called forward way ahead of my turn..until they led me upstairs into a "temporary room" in a fucking broom cupboard.

They then moved me to a small branch on Theprasit road... which then closed down.

At the moment I do any kasikorn business on Suk near Klang junction because it is never busy but I have no idea where my account is registered...

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 10:46 PM, Pumpuynarak said:

My bank book was full up so i went into my bank branch to acquire a new book. Sat in front of this lady who then photocopied various pages of my old book together with my passport and asked me to sign the photocopies which i duly did in front of her. She then queried that my signature did'nt look the same as the one they have on record and would i resign the photocopies and attempt to sign exactly the same.

I duly complied with her request but did'nt make a very good job of copying my original signature that she was referring to, she was'nt happy but relented when i asked her if my passport photo was in fact me....... 

Dean Martin (499x442).jpg

lol..........

Went through that once over there. I was able to sort it out.

It's just one of those things you are never fully sure about when you walk out of the place scratching your head. That being.... Was the reason they went through all of that b.s. something the clerk was doing for c.y,a. (cover your/their ass) or just a way to f**k with you. I think mostly, c.y.a., but sometimes you wonder.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:48 PM, fygjam said:

I never bothered about getting my passbook updated except when getting the bank letter for Immigration.

So once a year I'd rock up with only a single entry in the passbook. They'd put it in the machine and it would whir away, flip to the next page and then the passbook was full so they'd insert single sheets of paper and the machine would whir away.

And I'd leave with the old passbook, about 50 single sheets of paper stapled together and a new passbook with just a single line used. And we'd do it all again next year.

Same here, but the account I use is my emergency fund account.  It gets my biannual wire transfers and once a month I make a transfer to another account that has my atm card, that I pay bills from, etc.  I don't bother updating that bank book. 

So my bank book for immigration lasts six years and only needs one piece of paper stapled in when it's full.  Make sure you take the old one for the following extension, too, because at least at Kasikornbank they don't date the first entry in the new book so immigration can't tell that it's good from your last extension.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:54 PM, forcebwithu said:

It's been awhile since I've updated my passbook, but IIRC you can ask that they only update with the current balance and skip the printing of all the transactions since that last update.

At the immigration offices I've used they want to see activity every month since the last extension including the day you get the bank letter.  My one transfer a month has been sufficient.

• Like 1

In the 80's I used to go to the Bangkok Amex office in Siam Centre & buy their travellers cheques using a cheque from my UK bank.£500 would only cost £5 if I remember right.

Anyway after a couple of weeks on the piss in Pattaya I found it very difficult to reproduce the same signature & after I had signed the last couple of TT's the moneychanger refused to cash them.Oh shit I thought that means a trip back to the Amex office.Walking back to my hotel I had to pass another moneychanger so thought what the heck I may as well try.This one cashed them no questions asked even though they were already signed.

Phew!

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2021 at 10:54 AM, forcebwithu said:

It's been awhile since I've updated my passbook, but IIRC you can ask that they only update with the current balance and skip the printing of all the transactions since that last update.

Yes before it was a requirement to show 65K transfers in your bank book for the year to obtain my retirement extension i never updated my book and when i eventually did they consolidated entries which was great as i did'nt get pages and pages of entries stapled in the book as BM Fygjam describes lol but now i need to show the individual 65K transfers, hence i update monthly now.

• Like 1