Has anyone travelled to Bangkok and back this week?

Toy Boy

I've got a hospital appointment in Bangkok next week, but I only have an SMS on my phone to prove it. My taxi driver tells me I must go to City Hall and apply for a travel permit, but I haven't read anything about that being required this time around. Last year, the papers and other media had pictures of the forms to be filled in, but I haven't seen any of that in the last week or so. Plus, for obvious reasons, I don't fancy queuing for ages in the crowded and unsanitary confines of the City Hall public service area. I've asked the hospital to e-mail me a proper appointment letter, but I don't know if they will do so or if it will satisfy the taxi driver.

Has anybody driven to Bangkok since the latest restrictions began, and if so what documentation were you asked for at the checkpoints? I've read that a hospital appointment is regarded as necessary travel so it shouldn't be a problem, but my taxi driver doesn't seem to agree. It's probably a while since he last drove anyone to Bangkok, though, so he might not know the latest requirements.

A BM on PA made the trip from Pattaya to Bangkok for his shot this morning. No mention of additional travel docs in his post. He posted less than an hour ago from the hospital, so doesn't sound like he had any problems on the trip up. Of course, YMMV.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

A BM on PA made the trip from Pattaya to Bangkok for his shot this morning. No mention of additional travel docs in his post. He posted less than an hour ago from the hospital, so doesn't sound like he had any problems on the trip up. Of course, YMMV.

Thanks for the info, that sounds promising.

I just got a reply from Phyathai2 about the appointment letter asking me to verify that the data they hold on me is correct, which it is. The trouble is that the text of the message isn't exactly reassuring:

Our hospital can issue a certificate for your upcoming vaccination appointment; however, please note that we cannot guarantee that this will be sufficient to travel out of Pattaya. Please take the proper measures to ensure a safe and hassle-free travel to/from Bangkok.

Yes, but what exactly ARE the proper measures to take, and where do I find them listed?

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

I've got a hospital appointment in Bangkok next week, but I only have an SMS on my phone to prove it. My taxi driver tells me I must go to City Hall and apply for a travel permit, but I haven't read anything about that being required this time around. Last year, the papers and other media had pictures of the forms to be filled in, but I haven't seen any of that in the last week or so. Plus, for obvious reasons, I don't fancy queuing for ages in the crowded and unsanitary confines of the City Hall public service area. I've asked the hospital to e-mail me a proper appointment letter, but I don't know if they will do so or if it will satisfy the taxi driver.

Has anybody driven to Bangkok since the latest restrictions began, and if so what documentation were you asked for at the checkpoints? I've read that a hospital appointment is regarded as necessary travel so it shouldn't be a problem, but my taxi driver doesn't seem to agree. It's probably a while since he last drove anyone to Bangkok, though, so he might not know the latest requirements.

Have a chat with Phil, as in Mr egg, I believe he was in Bkk sorting out Daves affairs to bring his body back to Pattaya for the funeral.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Thanks for the info, that sounds promising.

I just got a reply from Phyathai2 about the appointment letter asking me to verify that the data they hold on me is correct, which it is. The trouble is that the text of the message isn't exactly reassuring:

Our hospital can issue a certificate for your upcoming vaccination appointment; however, please note that we cannot guarantee that this will be sufficient to travel out of Pattaya. Please take the proper measures to ensure a safe and hassle-free travel to/from Bangkok.

Yes, but what exactly ARE the proper measures to take, and where do I find them listed?

The BM on PA has now reported back no checkpoints between Pattaya and Bangkok, either way. The only docs he brought just in case were his vaccine appointment, lease as proof of address, and his passport.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

36 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

The BM on PA has now reported back no checkpoints between Pattaya and Bangkok, either way. The only docs he brought just in case were his vaccine appointment, lease as proof of address, and his passport.

Thanks. As far as I'm aware, the only checkpoint in Pattaya is on Suk by the Banglamung cop shop, so I can get from my house in South Pattaya onto the motorway without any problems. What happens when we get to Bangkok, though, and also when we try to drive out of the city was unknown territory, but it sounds as if it's OK. I'm thinking of calling City Hall on their 1337 number and asking them what's needed, but it's also like asking a Thai bureaucrat to invent new rules just for you, so I'm not sure it will be very helpful.

27 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Thanks. As far as I'm aware, the only checkpoint in Pattaya is on Suk by the Banglamung cop shop, so I can get from my house in South Pattaya onto the motorway without any problems. What happens when we get to Bangkok, though, and also when we try to drive out of the city was unknown territory, but it sounds as if it's OK. I'm thinking of calling City Hall on their 1337 number and asking them what's needed, but it's also like asking a Thai bureaucrat to invent new rules just for you, so I'm not sure it will be very helpful.

Sometimes if there isn't a problem you can create one by asking too many questions!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

Sometimes if there isn't a problem you can create one by asking too many questions!

Yes, exactly. I'd be happy to just plough on regardless and argue the toss with any cops along the way who stop us, but the taxi driver seems a bit of a worrier. He's a good guy, though, I've been using him for over 15 years, and he has his own health problems so I can be fairly sure he's doing his best to avoid the dreaded lurgi. It would be more than a bit sad to catch Covid from a taxi driver while you were going to get vaccinated, after all.

5 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Yes, exactly. I'd be happy to just plough on regardless and argue the toss with any cops along the way who stop us, but the taxi driver seems a bit of a worrier. He's a good guy, though, I've been using him for over 15 years, and he has his own health problems so I can be fairly sure he's doing his best to avoid the dreaded lurgi. It would be more than a bit sad to catch Covid from a taxi driver while you were going to get vaccinated, after all.

Maybe time to give Nam taxi' a ring.

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

Maybe time to give Nam taxi' a ring.

I've never used them so how would I know that they're highly unlikely to be infected with the virus? At least my usual driver's got a vested interest in keeping me alive as I'm a good customer and send my friends his way.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

I've never used them so how would I know that they're highly unlikely to be infected with the virus? At least my usual driver's got a vested interest in keeping me alive as I'm a good customer and send my friends his way.

My bad, I got the impression your regular driver didn't want to take you.

Of course you won't know whether anyone you have contact with has covid or not. It's out there and spreading fast.

Good luck either way.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, boydeste said:

My bad, I got the impression your regular driver didn't want to take you.

Of course you won't know whether anyone you have contact with has covid or not. It's out there and spreading fast.

Good luck either way.

I originally called the guy on Wednesday. He disappeared for an hour after I explained that I wanted a taxi to the hospital in Bangkok, probably checking with a more active taxi driver what is needed. He came back and told me I must go to City Hall to get a permit. I replied along the lines of no way am I going to that rat-infested, farang-unfriendly craphole where they'll make you queue for hours in non-air conditioned hell, just because they can (I have some history with City Hall and now refuse to set foot in the dump). And that was the last I heard from him, I mean what happened to customer service? He's not cheap, and a round-trip to Bangkok is a nice day's work, so why didn't he offer to go and get the permit for me? I suppose I could use an agent, but only if it's genuinely necessary to have a permit, and I'm not at all convinced that it is.

The most dangerous people as far as catching Covid goes are the young, at least in my opinion. Statistically, they're almost at zero risk of serious illness, is why should they take the sort of precautions that old fogies like myself do, as we have a high chance of hospitalisation, serious illness and even death? The guy I use is in his 50's and has a health problem himself, so he will do what he can to avoid the virus. OTOH, the fact that he hasn't replied probably means that he's not interested. What age is the typical Nam taxi driver?

27 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

I originally called the guy on Wednesday. He disappeared for an hour after I explained that I wanted a taxi to the hospital in Bangkok, probably checking with a more active taxi driver what is needed. He came back and told me I must go to City Hall to get a permit. I replied along the lines of no way am I going to that rat-infested, farang-unfriendly craphole where they'll make you queue for hours in non-air conditioned hell, just because they can (I have some history with City Hall and now refuse to set foot in the dump). And that was the last I heard from him, I mean what happened to customer service? He's not cheap, and a round-trip to Bangkok is a nice day's work, so why didn't he offer to go and get the permit for me? I suppose I could use an agent, but only if it's genuinely necessary to have a permit, and I'm not at all convinced that it is.

The most dangerous people as far as catching Covid goes are the young, at least in my opinion. Statistically, they're almost at zero risk of serious illness, is why should they take the sort of precautions that old fogies like myself do, as we have a high chance of hospitalisation, serious illness and even death? The guy I use is in his 50's and has a health problem himself, so he will do what he can to avoid the virus. OTOH, the fact that he hasn't replied probably means that he's not interested. What age is the typical Nam taxi driver?

Highly recommend Nam's Taxi Service. This is an old picture from her website, but I would say it's typical of the age range of the drivers.

Screen Shot 07-16-21 at 12.38 PM.jpg

• Great Info 1

Well there I was, gazing at my navel and worrying about the odd police checkpoint, I didn't see this one coming at all:

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattaya-chonburi-relent-impose-2-week-quarantine-on-interprovincial-arrivals-363517

Please tell me that it's just Pattaya Mail bollox, I really don't want to do 2 weeks in quarantine just to get a shot of AZ, even if I can do it at home.

i too am off to Bangkok tomorrow for a vaccine jab - the hospital gave me a letter - so printing a few of these off together with my passport (maybe my lease - but as i am registered with immigration at pattaya then may not need)  - my wife is coming with me in case of any adverse reaction to the jab, so she will bring her vaccine certificate also..

• Like 1

I checked this afternoon with Pattaya City Hall on 1337 and the lady told me the obvious, that it's not possible to travel during the curfew hours, but she said that proof of the appointment plus my passport are all I need. There's no permit-to-travel scheme at present. As with @Chappo, I asked Phyathai to send me a certificate of appointment for vaccination, which they duly did. That looks quite impressive and is in Thai and English so hopefully it will do the trick.

I've sent this info to my taxi driver who appears to have gone into a sulk, and if he hasn't replied by the morning then I'll e-mail Nam and maybe specifically ask for an older taxi driver with a chronic health condition, lol.

Edited by Toy Boy
  • Haha 2