Memory card failure

Butch

Does it serve me right for buying a no name mem card from ebay? My Camera card is corrupted, so I need a new one, it's a regular 64gig SDHC, but it's not the first time it has happened, last time was 3 years ago.

Could it be my camera (Lumix) or the cheap card I purchased?

Cheers, & Virtual SM light in advance.

Edited by Butch

35 minutes ago, Butch said:

Does it serve me right for buying a no name mem card from ebay? My Camera card is corrupted, so I need a new one, it's a regular 64gig SDHC, but it's not the first time it has happened, last time was 3 years ago.

Could it be my camera (Lumix) or the cheap card I purchased?

Cheers, & Virtual SM light in advance.

I think buying cheap Memory cards is false economy because known makes are not that expensive anyway.

You can of course get unlucky and temperature variations can cause problems too.

I generally stick to SanDisk and over the years I don't think I have ever had one fail.

Now wait and see what goes wrong now!!!

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yep, it is my own fault, buy cheap and buy twice as they say.

I'm going to opt for a Sandisk now, I doubt if it is the camera causing it though, all fingers point to me being a tightwad lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Butch said:

I'm going to opt for a Sandisk now, I doubt if it is the camera causing it though, all fingers point to me being a tightwad lol.

Wil it let you re-format it?

12 minutes ago, Butch said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-128GB-Professional-Card-UHS-I/dp/B07PDRH6XM/ref=sr_1_11?crid=37DW45Z1VEC0G&dchild=1&keywords=lexar+128gb+sd+card&qid=1626607749&sprefix=lex%2Caps%2C375&sr=8-11

Try the above.  Most professionals use them; I have used them for some time without problems.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Butch said:

This should teach you to regularly copy those photos to other devices, preferably in duplicate.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do tend to back my stuff up fairly regularly, but not regularly enough !.

The card itself won't let me do anything, it doesn't come up as being a memory card when plugged into the PC, and when it is in the camera it's as if there's not one there. I've checked with another card to ensure the camera and pc are both recognising one and they're both fine.

I guess it's destined for the bin, lesson learned there.

I'll get one ordered, Lexar are a decent make, plus I'll grab a Sandisk from Amazon also.

Great replies chaps, thanks. :)

• Thumbs Up 1