Your favourite 3 Venues from BANGKOK (any time period)

Atticus

I hope Butch does not mind me riding on the coat tails of his post of the same name except this is about Bangkok. Same sort of criteria, can be any establishment from any time period, but limited to 3.

For me:

Long Gun, Soi Cowboy - Now officially Lucky Star but to me, and no doubt many, it will always be Long Gun. By the standards of Tilac and Baccara it is a throwback to an earlier pioneering time. The girls, a mixed bunch of hotties and lukewarmies, were raucous and generally fun. The toilets were the pits but that was part of the charm. The girls had their lockers in the toilets and there was always an elderly lady sitting on a sofa in there. Many a happy night in there and many bar fines over the years.

The Biergarten, Soi 7 - Rumours of its imminent demise have been circulating for decades but it clings on tenaciously as one of the great survivors of the BKK nightlife. It was a great place for afternoon fun. Back in the earlier part of this century the bar would be heaving with FL's and punters in the late afternoon / early evening with the FL's usually seriously outnumbering the punters. I haven't been there in a few years now and its reputation goes up and down with the seasons. I hope, for old times sake, it survives and rises to its previous heights once more.

Spankys - One of the better smaller gogos in Nana Plaza. Always fun and a buzzing atmosphere. I just wish those spanking truncheons the girls carry were capable of actually inflicting a bit of pain 😎 

Damn, it's hard to stick to just three but there you go.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Mermaidium in Nana Plaza , on the ground floor LHS , has huge tanks of water around the walls , the naked mermaids would dive for 5 and 10 Baht coins .... 

ADC27F4E-AD40-44F9-83C4-600DF8A693E0.jpeg

again in Nana on the First floor a very small GoGo , that played rock music , Sexy Night .... had some diamonds from there over the years 

AE07CB28-9965-420F-8D39-115AB073C8CD.jpeg

lastly Buckskin Joe Village , later called Soi Zero ...a group of bars just across the railway tracks at the bottom of Sukumvit- I always had a brilliant time there after I was GoGoed out - Det5 was probably the most famous the the bars there and seems to be still going ( now in Soi 8 ) 

some good pics on their site 

https://www.det-5.com/2012-05-05-05-25-43/1991-1995

• Like 4

This has got me thinking....I used to frequent BKK a lot in the 80's & early 90's but a lot of alcohol has flowed between my ears since then.

Jools on Soi Nana,run by Kim Fletcher in partnership with Matthew Swire was great for a very late breakfast when I used to stay in the Dynasty.Only trouble was there were always guys who worked in BKK in there after work & buying shots....not for me when I'm having brekkie.The food was excellent & Kim as always was a great host.

The George & Dragon run by Doc on the Soi 23 end of Cowboy,Miss Piggy was a great laugh.Kevin Keegan & Newcastle Utd were in there once,which Doc being a Geordie was very proud of.

There were a few bars in Patpong where when you went in you were jumped upon by naked girls(Pussy Galore?)....& when you're fresh from the sandpit that was just wonderful.....

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

The Mermaidium in Nana Plaza , on the ground floor LHS , has huge tanks of water around the walls , the naked mermaids would dive for 5 and 10 Baht coins .... 

again in Nana on the First floor a very small GoGo , that played rock music , Sexy Night .... had some diamonds from there over the years 

lastly Buckskin Joe Village , later called Soi Zero ...a group of bars just across the railway tracks at the bottom of Sukumvit- I always had a brilliant time there after I was GoGoed out - Det5 was probably the most famous the the bars there and seems to be still going ( now in Soi 8 ) 

Yes Det5 has been on Soi 8 for some years now, owned by a Belgian called Bob and his wife. Not sure if he was the original owner on Soi Zero.

The Mermaidium must be going back many years now (last century)?

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Yes Det5 has been on Soi 8 for some years now, owned by a Belgian called Bob and his wife. Not sure if he was the original owner on Soi Zero.

The Mermaidium must be going back many years now (last century)?

Yes mid 90's I think ... when 10 Baht was worth diving for ... 555

dont think it was open that long either , it's just the concept blew me away at the time , was so different to anything else around 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Thumbs Up 1

Suzy Wong's - Soi Cowboy -- always a good show. Once they knew you --always treated well.

Tulip Massage - Sukhumvit 38 -- nasty as you wanted.

Cleo Beer Bar - Patpong 2 -- right outside of Star of Light - too many fun nights there drinking and watching the world wander by.

5541924142_61b0edfb1d_c.jpg

4332743583_6234339811_c.jpg

17005713895_bdb71c2454_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Those were the days I guess, eh mate? Newbies like me never saw such venues ☹️

1. Star of Light

2. The bar just the other side of the bar that stuck out was my Patpong regular haunt. My record in there was 3 nights/ 4 days. I got back to my room and saw on the news that Princess Di had just died.

3. But my absolute favourite was Doug's Isaan restaurant on Soi Rangnam. Guaranteed a laugh and a story from Doug. I lived (and worked!) nearby and regularly staggered home from there. This was when Santiphap Park was just wasteland.

• Like 1

In third place Long Gun Soi Cowboy some amazing shows, line ups and sights back in the day.

In second place Big Dogs Soi 4 Nana. Just sitting by the rails people watching and talking.

In first place Livingstone's Soi 33. The Secrets of Bangkok similar style but with a gorgeous swimming pool.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

In third place Long Gun Soi Cowboy some amazing shows, line ups and sights back in the day.

Yes! Just remembered I was in there one time in 2009, unfortunately already had someone with me. Just as you say, awesome lineup with artistic shows. 

I’ve said this many times…..in my limited experience, and a decade ago at that, I don’t know why BKK got the reputation for being so much pricier than Pattaya. Had a couple of real blowout nights, where I was drained of my fluids 6-7 times from different ladies, for under 10K. Even at the time, it was comparable to same kind of night in Patts

• Like 2

Damn was going to put the Long Gun but bagged twice already😀

Dynasty Inn- first hotel I ever stayed out in LOS in 2003, sat outside in awe, wondering where in the world I had landed.

Mojo's on Soi 33, brilliant live band, stunning coyotes. There was no bf, but they were more than happy to go.

5 Star- bit left of field perhaps but in the 2000's had some great nights in there. It was old school, cold towel and peanuts with your beer. The live band were great fun(Jimmy Page joined in one night I'm reliably told), some of the customers that would get up and accompany them were brilliant too. The line up may not have been lookers, but were certainly performers.

• Like 1

Well I know the name of the first bar I went into in February 1987 so that is my favourite, it was Superstar on Patpong. Through the blue velvet curtains and first girl I set eyes on was out the door in 15 mins and back to Tawanna Ramada where earlier I had failed to leave my room twice as my knees were trembling with anticipation. 

Upstairs bars in Patpong were memorable for their ability to make you smile while sitting in your seat chatting to friends, the girls head bobbing up and down between my legs doing what the girl did best. Experience remembered, name of bar forgotten.

3rd place could be many, can't remember names. Only interested in the girls.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Upstairs bars in Patpong were memorable for their ability to make you smile while sitting in your seat chatting to friends, the girls head bobbing up and down between my legs doing what the girl did best. Experience remembered, name of bar forgotten.

Kangaroo Club?

They tried to get their laughing gear around your tackle before you could get to the bar & order a drink & if you wanted a bit of privacy they had a dentists chair out back & there'd be three of them doing shifts down below.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Kangaroo Club?

They tried to get their laughing gear around your tackle before you could get to the bar & order a drink & if you wanted a bit of privacy they had a dentists chair out back & there'd be three of them doing shifts down below.

I went in there one Sunday lunchtime and the girls were sitting down having food so one told her daughter to service me. I looked at her and left PDQ !

16 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Kangaroo Club?

Rings a bell. I know the lights were down low, it wasn't a big place and they had quite a few comfy chairs to rest your boner bones.

Downstairs was interesting too where a club had a Harley or a red telephone box being lowered to the floor. Girl on the bike, guy came out of the telephone box with a pre loaded appendage and proceeded to roger the girl, both looked bored. Interesting times.

• Like 1

You had to be careful of the upstairs bars in Patpong,me & a mate went in one & they wanted something like 1000b for our two beers.We argued & said we were going to the police & they eventually settled on much less.

13 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Only two for me,

#1 Don Muang

# Swampy

Both Arrivals

I consider Bangkok a good place to stay away from.

I am with you.

I enjoyed my first two nights in Thailand in Bangkok then discovered I could enjoy everything I did in Bangkok down in Pattaya much easier and cheaper.

Had a few 'BIRTHDAY" type trips with mates to Bangkok over the years but never changed my view.

31 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I am with you.

I enjoyed my first two nights in Thailand in Bangkok then discovered I could enjoy everything I did in Bangkok down in Pattaya much easier and cheaper.

Had a few 'BIRTHDAY" type trips with mates to Bangkok over the years but never changed my view.

I spent two nights in Bangkok on my second (organized) trip, my lungs didn't appreciate the polluted air.

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

You had to be careful of the upstairs bars in Patpong,me & a mate went in one & they wanted something like 1000b for our two beers.We argued & said we were going to the police & they eventually settled on much less.

Can't remember how much I was paying but I was working in Brunei and I was getting a bloody good wage plus expenses. Helps being the boss.

Great times, well before that bloody ugly market appeared.

• Like 1